The most important thing in trading

Knowledge, discipline, and control over emotions are the most important things in trading. If you have discipline then it will be good to trade accurately and can make money.

Like others have said - you need an EDGE.

The big question is how to find one. Most people out there never get to the point.

An edge is done through backtesting and optimizing your trading strategies properly, reviewing its historical performance objectively.

Once you discovered a profitable strategy with an edge, all you need to do is to execute it precisely.

Check out my YouTube channel for more related videos, consider subscribing if you find it useful: https://www.youtube.com/channel/trader_hc

For me most important thing in trading is knowledge.
I believe that the most important thing in trading is experience. This can not help the beginner of course. That’s why it’s important to trade small, small, small, until you slowly over time gain the confidence and experience.

Trading in my opinion is one big bet. You are betting that you will learn to trade before wiping out. This unfortunately is a very hard thing to do sometimes.

Trading is as difficult as it is to speak in public or go from one window to another ... on a 300th floor.

The technique is simple, you just have to talk or walk (in the previous examples) the problem is that small structure called the amygdala in our brain that paralyzes and complicates things.

I guess it varies from person to person what is considered the most important part of trading. Different aspects of trading are not equally difficult for all people.
Most of the things mentioned on the thread are pretty important - edge, trading plan, risk management, discipline, knowledge etc. None of these can really make you successful without the others.

Misplaced optimism is disastrous.
I place arrows where I traded and at the end of the week I go back and look at the successes and failures trying to figure what went right or wrong.
Learn that the markets are the boss.