The IC effect

troyresearch

LOL, as you can tell I'm still playing around with Sharescope settings and have just discovered the ability to add Investors Chronicle tips as an event. Seems to be the Midas Touch in reverse...

I keep track of the IC's and other publications recommendations as I hope they do some fundamental analysis. However, timing (the entry and more importantly the exit) seems to be completely beyond most magazine / newspaper writers. Their buy recommendations will usually be a basis for action on the day of publication, which is usually the first edition after release of results. More realistically they should suggest a preferred level and some corroborative technical indicators using which to buy but that would erode the importance of buying this and every other edition. it would be more helpful if they printed an on-going assessment of all past assessments, but then why would anyone subscribe to every single edition? You could just buy one in every 6 or so and get a complete update.

Just saw this thread and thought I'd throw my pennies worth in as I subscribe to IC. To be honest I find their share tips to be the least interesting / useful part of the magazine. A while a go I looked at various strategies to add some market timing strength to the fundamental work they obviously do, but I couldn't get anything to work consistently. Equally irritating is that the prices they give, and therefore run their P&Ls from, are completely unrealistic in terms of the price you'd be able to get even if you traded on the open on day of publication.

So why do I subscribe? Basically because they do a lot of buyer's guide type articles which saves me the effort of trawling around to find the cheapest broker, best forex a/c's, best spreads, etc. On savings made from these I've easily paid for my subscription, and every now and again there's something else interesting in the magazine.