The FTSE

new highs

Just thinking since we got a good late (after-hours) reversal in the FTSE futures that it must be next as the Nikkei, S&P, DOW and Nasdaq are all about to hit (or have) multi year highs recently. Going by the US action tomorrow should open high and grind higher during the day with 5476 the target. Trailing stops for definite. Happy trading.

The FTSE Friday, 11th November 2005

Thursdays results:

Open: 5439.

Close: 5423, down 16pts.

Range: 5423 - 5463.

On the Month: up 106pts.

Last 5 trading days: down 8pts.

Dow: 10,640, up a tremendous 93pts. I wonder why! Divine intervention per chance!

News items of note:

Forbes.com - 'Oil Prices Fall Below $58. Crude oil futures fell by more than $1 Thursday, settling below $58 a barrel for the first time since late July in a selloff fueled by reports of rising supply and falling demand. The U.S. Energy Information Administration released data that showed natural gas in storage grew more than expected last week, surpassing a level that many analysts believe is necessary to meet winter demand.' - The FTSE suffered slightly as one fifth of its total value is oil related.

Sky News - 'Interest Rate On Hold. The interest rate is remaining at 4.5% for another month. Struggling retailers had hoped there would be a pre-Christmas cut because of slowing sales. However, despite some concerns about the slowdown in economic growth, the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee is chiefly concerned with keeping inflation in check. The MPC voted to lower rates from 4.75% to the current level of 4.5% in August, making it the first cut in two years.' - I expected the FTSE to rise a little on this news. It seems I was wrong!

Oil: $57.68 and dropping.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Thursdays stated a possible small fall. Friday, a medium to a strong rise. Its interesting to note that the FTSE has moved well outside the 200 point moving average and indicates said rise.

Companies reporting:

Hornby
Whitehead Mann

Not enough to add momentum to the market.

My prediction yesterday about Dell proved correct. Not that I had any spare cash to do anything about it. Hay-Ho!

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the DOW's rise will effect the FTSE tomorrow; charts predict a strong rise; I anticipated a strong week with Friday being the weak link. Could it all be reversed!

Early gut feeling: a Big Mac of a rise

Will I bet? I decided to hold onto my long, I guess its the Bull in me..

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

Welcome Mark Twain uk to the FTSE forum.

Also, an equal welcome to SB'ers R GAY. You've got to be kidding, right!

Yours

UK

a

Early gut feeling: a Big Mac of a rise

Ya just hoping for a beer, well come 8:15am I will throw a big bag o cash at it, make it go down faster than a Val Doonican single

dc2000 said:
Ya just hoping for a beer, well come 8:15am I will throw a big bag o cash at it, make it go down faster than a Val Doonican single

A beer! I'm hoping for a three figure return. I've already added to my long to offset the loss and now my necks longer then a giraffes!

UK

I've been reading my e-mails. It seems the US Bonds markets are closed for Veterans Day tomorrow.

Not sure how that will effect the DOW and in-turn the FTSE.

Have a look in the US Indices Forum for any clues.

UK

Hello there,

i was wondering if someone can help me with an inquiry.

Suppose i want to place a bet on the FTSE, what time do you guys place the bet? at night (on the futures)?
because im signed up with CMC markets but when i place a bet, the only place i can get is on the FTSE future (at night), but do you guys also place the bet on the FTSE future as this is well correlated with the official FTSE when it opens at 8am? All i want to do is bet before the market opens but the only option i get is the FTSE future which is much higher than the value the original FTSE closed the previous day.

any help appreciated

thank you

dc2000 said:

Are you in yet? I sure hope that you would join the ftse shorting fraternity, last month it reached 5515, this month 5483 (to date)

These levels are a bit high when the economy is about to turn nasty, gordon will run out of luck soon (if he had not done that already), we are looking at manufacturing joing the mining and shipbuilding as extinct industries, the only drive of the economy is the service sector, with financials, mobile phones and high street shopping fuelled by debt. One nasty event and the whole pack of cards could collapse.

stancer123 said:
Hello there,

Suppose i want to place a bet on the FTSE, what time do you guys place the bet? at night (on the futures)?

Stancer,

The hourly timing of the trade is not relevant, traders open and close positions several times a day or night. You can open and close a position at any time of the day, cmc are open 24/5 (mon to fri), what is important is the timing of the trade in relation to the market. A trade placed before the open can work for you or against you, depending on where the market is opening, and that cannot be predicted easily, you need years of experience to beat the 50-50 chance of tossing the coin.

looks like the market is goin down?
what is your prediction.
my prediction is gonna lose steam and gain steam at about 1/2pm

I am currently short, and have been for the last few days, it si going down now, but who knows what will happen later

stancer,

The stake must be related to your trading fund. You should never risk more than, say, 3%, in any single trade. I am a risk taker and use 5% and this is considered too high by many. So, if your trading pot is 1000 pounds, the maximum you shoud risk is 30 pounds, which means that on a £3 bet you your stop loss has to be only 10 points away, which is not enough, you'll be stopped out too often. So £3 for 1000 pot is too much. If the trading pot is £10,000 then your £3 bet is OK, your stop loss could be 100 points away and this is more than sufficient.

This is probably the most important decision, too higher stakes are very dangerous, especially on cmc, for example, finspreads margin requirements are 100 for ftse, 250 for dow and 300 for sp, cmc only want 50, 100 and 100 respectively. The fact that cmc has such low spreads is a double edge sword, on one hand it requires only a very small margin, on the other hand it allows you to open too large positions and you'll be faced with margin calls or even have your position closed by them at the worst possible time.

Last edited:
5540 again

Tested yet again...a nice little uptrend developing of the days low back towards 5460. Fairly impressive considering the news in the home building sector and oil related.

Long with a stop at 5440.

Well, DC2000

The week opened at 5423 and closed at 5465. That's a rise of 42pts.

You said a 27pt rise. I said a 55 - 75pts rise.

Although we both got the direction correct we were still a tad out on the final figure. But not by much.

Too be honest, taking all events into consideration, its been quite a bumpy week.

I'm a sportsman. So, I'm going to give you your pint.

Let me know how best to pass this your way.

Yours

UK