The FTSE

nice prediction

i think tommorow we may be seeing a small rise? the US stocks closed higher today.

end of day ftse 100 was 5439 - any prediction on the end of day ftse 100 for thursday??? down or up??

dc2000 said:
The only thing rattling is the coins in me pocket as I get ready to count out the beer money

LOL.

I have to be honest, the market is not behaving as I had predicted. Thursday will be the last day of the week that my data suggested an up.

But its not over until the fat lady sings, as they say.

UK

Im expecting a +ve close 5456.02 would be my best guess

Thursday will be the last day of the week that my data suggested pan up.

same here

The FTSE Thursday, 10th November 2005

Wednesdays results:

Open: 5460.

Close: 5439, down 21pts. Well, my small Long favoured badly today, I'm 18pts down. It seems homework and dumb **** faith doesn't cut the mustard in regards to a markets direction.

Range: 5439 - 5469.

On the Month: up 122pts. Still too high by 40pts. I do anticipate a fall, but I had confidence in my data that it wouldn't be this week.

Last 5 trading days: up 81pts.'

Dow: 10,546, up 6pts.

News items of note:

None at time of writing.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Wednesday was no clear indication. Thursday a possible small fall.

Companies reporting:

BT
Dairy Crest
Invensys
Punch Taverns
Royal & Sun Alliance
Scottish Power
Young & Co's
Dell Inc. [American market, and I'm expecting a poor result]

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: tomorrow is the last day of the week in which I anticipated a rise; the DOW's high at 1pm was soon swallowed up to finish on a weak 6pts; no clear indication from the charts; BOE meeting tomorrow which I believe will stir the market upward.

Early gut feeling: a small rise before the American markets open. Thereafter, flip a coin.

Will I bet? I'll hold onto my long; I'll let it ride for a max 10pt loss and then cancel.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

Hello,

FTSE seems like its heading down, will the BOE meeting (expected interest at 4.5%) be good for the FTSE? what is your prediction.

regards

Ig

I use IG markets and the spreads on the indices are only 2pts with no commissions - not experienced any issues with them and the platform/execution is very quick. Their streaming prices etc are also very good.

It's the line in the sand again. It's been tested a number of times over the last few days where the general trend has been to sell off from an opening high. I am thinking I will wait until the BOE meeting and go with the general trend. It's possible a negative market reaction would prompt 5440 to break with a probably test of 5400 and a positive market reaction 5460 tested pretty quickly. Again only my thoughts.

about the same at the mo, when the markets are moving I tend to just have one or the other on a screen I also tend to have a weekly play at the dow comp you will find it under resources at the top of the screen

stancer123 said:
which spread betting provider provides the best spreads for UK FTSE index bets?

thanks

Type into a search engine the words 'Spread betting' and you will obtain a list; the most popular are 'City Index, Deal4free, Capital Spreads and Tradeindex' to name but a few.

I don't know how long you've been studying the market but if its less then 6 months I'd consider paper trading at one of the sites that have a demo account.

Yours

UK

Its not always about the best spreads IMO speed of execution, following close to the market price and getting the price on screen No slipages are more important

stancer123 said:
Hello,

FTSE seems like its heading down, will the BOE meeting (expected interest at 4.5%) be good for the FTSE? what is your prediction.

regards

My vote was for the interest rates staying the same [which it has] and therefore anticipated a 15pt rise [which it hasn't]. The FTSE today seems half asleep and the DOW is just bumbling along.

UK

FTSE didnt hit my buy target earlier so no position the Dow hit short though at 72