The FTSE

Hope you dont mind me taking the other side of that trade for a couple of days UKhero

Im also looking for a rise on the week but only by a modest 27 points

dc2000,

I say a rise for the coming week between 55-75pts, you say a rise of 27pts. Lets put a pint on it!

LOL

UK

'Good fortune favours the bold.' - HePo

dc2000 said:
deal

I take it Im allowed 5 points either side
Middle for diddle will be 46pts. Anything below this figure means you'll win one cool, mouth drooling pint.

As it stands, the FTSE is up 18pts at 5447. I don't anticipate it rising much further today, lets say 5453 by end of play.

I wrote the above 20 mins ago when I was disturbed by a phone call. The FTSE is now up 31pts at 5460. I'm sure it will dip.

Mmm, that beer is looking mighty good from here!

Uk

5472 and this thing becomes as popular as a rattle snake in a lucky dip

The FTSE Tuesday, 8th November 2005

Mondays results:

Open: 5423.

Close: 5460, up 37pts. This far exceeded my expectations. Annoyingly, I thought I'd shuffle my stop gap as the day progressed and therefore my Long cancelled at 5458! I was hoping to roll it over and on throughout the week. Also, and thankfully, I didn't go with my gut feelings.

Range: 5415 - 5471.

On the Month: up 143pts.

Last 5 trading days: up 143pts. Somethings got to give.

Dow: 10,586, up 55pts.

News items of note:

Forbes.com -'In London, December Brent crude futures on the ICE Futures exchange fell 80 cents to $58.45 a barrel. Oil broker Mike Fitzpatrick of Fimat USA in New York said the mild start to the U.S. winter heating season has magnified a selloff that was already in motion as oil production and refining facilities in the Gulf of Mexico recovered in the aftermath of hurricanes Katrina and Rita. Fitzpatrick said crude futures could fall another $2 to $3 per barrel if the weather stays warm, but once Americans begin to turn up their thermostats, there will again be upward pressure on energy prices.' - And the same in the UK. The price of oil dropping on Monday will continue to have a minor negative effect on the FTSE tomorrow.

FT.com - 'Ministers said higher oil costs were not yet feeding through into increased prices in the shops or wage rises, and inflation remained under control. They are concerned at the heightened anti-inflation rhetoric from the ECB, with Mr Trichet warning again on Monday that interest rates could move at any time. Financial markets believe an interest rate rise is possible next month and is highly likely by next March, as the ECB seeks to bring inflation below its 2 per cent target.'

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Mondays stated a small rise. Tuesday, another small rise.

Companies reporting:
Assoc British Foods
BG
Cable & Wireless
Electrocomponents
Marks & Spencer
Celsis
Comino
Dicom

Enough to turn the FTSE's head.

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: the market is expected to open up by 8pts tomorrow morning; the DOW's had a good day; plenty of companies reporting; economic data is quiet; in all, we should see the FTSE rise early. Thereafter, I'm not too sure. The market has already exceeded Novembers dull laconic manner and presented us with another exciting July. Can it last? Even so, I'm still confident of a strong weekly finish by the weeks end.

Early gut feeling: a small shuffle in either direction by the end of play

Will I bet? Well, my long cancelled today so I'll be sitting on the side line. I'll make my decision around 10am.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

A wise choice me thinks

Given what is expected on the Dow an early dip is favoured not too much mind only a few points followed by a slow grind higher and a good fall into close to put me on target for the amber nectar

Whats the thoughts on buying or selling the year high - as we get ever closer to 5500. I am looking for a pullback to the 5400 level and from that point I will start trading it again on the long side.

downbytheriver7 said:
Whats the thoughts on buying or selling the year high - as we get ever closer to 5500. I am looking for a pullback to the 5400 level and from that point I will start trading it again on the long side.

I'll do some studying and come back to you.

UK

dc2000 said:
A wise choice me thinks

Given what is expected on the Dow an early dip is favoured not too much mind only a few points followed by a slow grind higher and a good fall into close to put me on target for the amber nectar

The FTSE shot its bolt early on in the day, its now closely following the DOW.

As to nectar, far too early in the day for me to drink!

UK

The FTSE Wednesday, 9th November 2005

Tuesdays results:

Open: 5460.

Close: 5460, Evens.

Range: 5451 - 5481.

On the Month: up 143pts.

Last 5 trading days: up 116pts.

Dow: 10,539, down 46pts.

News items of note:

FT.com - 'Gilts fall after retail data suggest recovery. Gilts in the UK succumbed to selling pressure on Tuesday as stronger than expected economic data and new supply weighed on the market. The British Retail Consortium reported that overall fall in retail sales fall last month was less than the previous month. Sales in stores open at least a year fell 0.2 per cent from October last year. There was a fall of 0.8 per cent in September and 1.9 per cent in July. “This is the third consecutive rise in the BRC measure, which is likely to be taken by some as a tentative sign that the worst is behind the retail sector,” said Vicky Redwood, UK economist at Capital Economics.' - At last some decent news.

Charts, and nothing but the charts: Tuesday stated a small rise. Wednesday, no clear indication.

Companies reporting:

BAA
First Group
Isoft
Fenner
Peacock
Robert Wiseman
Wincanton
Cisco Systems Inc

The above should add to a dull/even FTSE by 8 -17pts

The FTSE tomorrow based on present news and data: as I write, there's not much happening economically wise; the DOW's down, but this has already been factored into the FTSE during the afternoons trading; charts do not predict the market with any clarity; the FTSE is still too high, but tomorrow and Thursday should see additional rises, although small, followed by a heavy down on Friday.

Early gut feeling: a small rise early on, thereafter it will be dependent on the DOW's initial movements.

Will I bet? I watched the FTSE several times today and what I saw slightly nerved me. It gave me the impression that the market was running out of steam. Will tomorrow and Thursday turn into a second wind? I'm hoping, as I'm betting, and slightly safe, by going a small Long.

If you are betting: make your own decision, watch the markets open and do read the news for clues as to which way the FTSE may go.

yours

UK

definitely a tricky one...

This day definitely formed a mini downward trend after the opening high of 5480, with a series of lower highs (5min chart on 1 day). I have a feeling we will see 5440 tested and could trade in the 5420-5440 range over the next few days. If we break 5420 its a quick test of 5400 and then straight down to 5350. I think I'll be following it nervously on the short side over the next few days (a bit of sideways action around 5350-5400 can only be a good thing) and ready as always to go long. However we could test 5440 and quickly resume the steady pace upwards as I am sure we will see the 4year tested in November if not by the end of the year. Guess the direction is long over the next month or so but with some dips along the way!

We will see, happy trading.

looks like it will go down to the wire for the beer

I have todays low coming in at 5428 which is a tad short of the required play

dc2000 said:
looks like it will go down to the wire for the beer

I have todays low coming in at 5428 which is a tad short of the required play

DC2000,

Well, its certainly heading in your direction, but I wouldn't lean on the bar rattling an empty glass uttering the mottle words "get um in" just yet.

yours

UK

The only thing rattling is the coins in me pocket as I get ready to count out the beer money

dc2000 said:
it should close about 438/440 down 20 points ish

A very good statement DC! - Ftse dwn 21 so u were nearly spot on! . Care to make another prediction on the ftse for thurs?? - i'l be watching out 4 ur posts