The end of the EU

Is it your fault for Gordon Brown? I'm, afraid so, although you may not like it. In a democracy, the population deserves and is responsible for the government that it has.

You should remember that electoral turnout barely reached 40% in the last election.

I personally am no fan of democracy and would change to alternate system tomorrow if I had the power. Democracy in greek literally translates as "mob rule", and mob rule never ends well because the mob will always remain the mob.

Democracy with term limits for every representative I could just about stomach. My golf club and most other clubs I am aware of have one year term limits for both Captain and Chairman, there is a very good reason for this :idea:

Now you have put your finger on it. This is the weak side of democracy. The people tend to vote in the smoothest liars who promise the most and are not necessarily the best for the country.

What do you expect from "mob rule"? And politicians certainly aren't apart from the "mob". They desire and crave exactly the same as the "mob" in the "street", it's just they have the ways and means to acquire it through guile and deception.

I don't want to tar all politicians with this brush though, there certainly are a few who stand apart from the "mob" but they are definitely a precious minority.

What do you expect from "mob rule"? And politicians certainly aren't apart from the "mob". They desire and crave exactly the same as the "mob" in the "street", it's just they have the ways and means to acquire it through guile and deception.

I don't want to tar all politicians with this brush though, there certainly are a few who stand apart from the "mob" but they are definitely a precious minority.

RAND PAUL (y)
Rand Paul's CPAC 2013 Speech - 3/14/2013 - YouTube

I personally am no fan of democracy and would change to alternate system tomorrow if I had the power. Democracy in greek literally translates as "mob rule", and mob rule never ends well because the mob will always remain the mob.

Democracy with term limits for every representative I could just about stomach. My golf club and most other clubs I am aware of have one year term limits for both Captain and Chairman, there is a very good reason for this :idea:

I think that many would go along with that but is one year enough to turn a country around? On the other hand, the old government would have only had a year to mess things up. Personally, I think that we would all go nuts!

If they can't get more than 40% turnout, after 4 years (30% for Lord Mayor of London) how many would vote every year?

I think that many would go along with that but is one year enough to turn a country around? On the other hand, the old government would have only had a year to mess things up. Personally, I think that we would all go nuts!

If they can't get more than 40% turnout, after 4 years (30% for Lord Mayor of London) how many would vote every year?

Govt is for morons who cannot think and act for themselves.

Govt needs to be decimated and put firmly in it's place....minimalist enablers who serve the public.

Govt needs to be decimated and put firmly in it's place....minimalist enablers who serve the public.

I think that it is the blind leading the blind. If there is a vacuum at the top, someone will always fill it because it pays to be on top of the heap.

Just to clarify I don't mean 1 year terms, 4 or 5 years would be more appropriate.

Politicians are not morons. You can't get to the top in politics without being a master manipulator and schemer. Granted there are some who are merely puppets for vested interests behind the curtain but even these puppets can not be morons.

Just to clarify I don't mean 1 year terms, 4 or 5 years would be more appropriate.

I'd need to study a thesis on that! :)

I'm not sure whether I'd want a constitutional change, which is what that would be.

Anyway, I spent too much time, here, yesterday, and my investments suffered!

I'll read but not post, if you don't mind. :D

Therefore we must make sure it no longer "pays" to be top of the heap.

That's the nub of the problem. Most of the politicians are in it for the rewards. The old idea of doing a good job for all should be encouraged on only a reasonable salary . Less of the US greed philosophy imho

Rather than a deposit tax, how about a wealth tax. Bring back the billions they have hidden abroad too.

That's the nub of the problem. Most of the politicians are in it for the rewards. The old idea of doing a good job for all should be encouraged on only a reasonable salary . Less of the US greed philosophy imho

It's not really the salary where the big money lies it's all the "consulting" jobs top politicians get after their career in politics has ended. Look how much Tony Blair has earned since he resigned as UK Prime Minister.

Rather than a deposit tax, how about a wealth tax. Bring back the billions they have hidden abroad too.

I'm not sure what you are proposing. Do you mean a direct tax on the wealth of an individual? What about people who are asset rich but cash poor? Is it "fair" to take a larger sum of money from someone who earns little but is asset rich then a person who earns more but has large debts?

It's not really the salary where the big money lies it's all the "consulting" jobs top politicians get after their career in politics has ended. Look how much Tony Blair has earned since he resigned as UK Prime Minister.

I'm not sure what you are proposing. Do you mean a direct tax on the wealth of an individual? What about people who are asset rich but cash poor? Is it "fair" to take a larger sum of money from someone who earns little but is asset rich then a person who earns more but has large debts?

Depends on which side of the Left/Right fence they are, but take plenty is for sure ! The barons used to take everything that was movable at the point of a sword, so things have improved a little.

Depends on which side of the Left/Right fence they are, but take plenty is for sure ! The barons used to take everything that was movable at the point of a sword, so things have improved a little.

I like to know what has happened to the harmonisation of tax rules in the EU.

One currency
One tax
One set of standard rules for bananas and cucumbers
One interest rate
One army
blah blah blah
Free movement of labour
Applied equally to all member countries

I have a dream... :|

I like to know what has happened to the harmonisation of tax rules in the EU.

One currency
One tax
One set of standard rules for bananas and cucumbers
One interest rate
One army
blah blah blah
Free movement of labour
Applied equally to all member countries

I have a dream... :|

One government bond?

That would have been the correct way to set up the Euro. Allowing member countries to issue their own debt was always asking for trouble. How can you have a single currency but multiple ways of creating it?! :rolleyes:

One government bond?

That would have been the correct way to set up the Euro. Allowing member countries to issue their own debt was always asking for trouble. How can you have a single currency but multiple ways of creating it?! :rolleyes:

It is not the euro that is the problem but the application and following of rules. Not following the 3% GDP defecit rule is a major one for starters. I appreciate this was broken by Germany too but that was quickly corrected within a few years.

Listening to the radio - it has been pointed out that the 7% asked is approx., 2 years interest the £100K accounts would have earnt. Not exactly the end of the world. Upfront -ve interest rates which probably would have happened after inflation takes a grip on the country anyway with more printing.

I understand the Cypriot finance minister is visiting the Russians. I suspect they may well lend you the monies to liquidate the Cypriot banks but no doubt it will be at considerable interest or other costs. This to me is like jumping out of the pan, biting the hand that feeds you and to spite ones nose - jumping into the fire. Bad move.

So without a deal banks remain closed.

I suspect the ECB will provide liquidity subject to some acceptance of debt by Cypriots sooner or later...

On another point - with all the currency wars, this must be good news for the sinking Euro. Give a few months lag and the books will reflect incrreasing confidence and good results.

Last but not least next year is World Cup Year in Brazil. Always a good year imho. (y)

Attachments

• cat-bag.png
    cat-bag.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 166
Surely the main problem is the different cultural approaches to debt, inflation and spending.

I was thinking it is more a case of honesty integrity and dignity.

Let everyone else pay tax for social services - I'm special. Lying, cheating and earning money not deserved, if you can get away with it - is the new culture. (n)n: