The end of the EU

Germany 'would accept UK exit from EU' to protect migration rules

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29874392

We may need to amend the subject line for this blog. Not so much End of EU as more the end of UK in the EU.

I'm on Merkel's side and always admire the Germans for the hard working smart thinking nation that they are. (y)

The German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, has warned David Cameron she would be prepared to see Britain leave the EU rather than give in to his demands for new quotas on migrant workers coming to the UK.

Ms Merkel is understood to have told the Prime Minister he is approaching a “point of no return” where his demands for changes in Britain’s relationship with the EU are not acceptable to Germany.

Her comments come ahead of a key speech, currently being worked on in Downing Street, in which Mr Cameron will spell out his plans for EU Labour market reform as part of his proposed renegotiation of Britain’s membership.

Last month Downing Street sources suggested that the Prime Minister was looking at a system to control EU migration by capping the national insurance numbers issued to foreign workers.

But the out-going President of the European Commission suggested that such a proposal would be incompatible with the principle of freedom of movement which was an “essential” part of the union. This is a sentiment shared by Ms Merkel.

Der Spiegel cited sources in Berlin saying that if Mr Cameron insisted on limiting the number of immigrants from other EU states, “there will be no going back”. It quoted the sources as saying: “Should Cameron persist [in this plan], Chancellor Angela Merkel would abandon her efforts to keep Britain in the EU. With that a point of no return would be reached. That would be it then.”

Speaking after a meeting of the European Council last month, Ms Merkel said Germany would not interfere with the basic principle of freedom of movement, but emphasised: “That doesn’t mean that there aren’t various problems.”

PA: Angela Merkel has discussed the issues with David Cameron but is said to be unwilling to bend on certain basic EU principles© PA Angela Merkel has discussed the issues with David Cameron but is said to be unwilling to bend on certain basic EU principles
Ms Merkel added that she had discussed these problems with Mr Cameron, including benefits for unemployed EU migrants. She added: “However, it is my view that this must be resolved in a way that on the one hand allows us to tackle abuses, but on the other, does not deviate from the basic principle of freedom of movement in Europe.”

Yesterday there were signs that the German warning may have been heeded by Mr Cameron. The Sunday Times reported that the Prime Minister was looking at ways to stretch existing EU rules “to their limits” rather than insist on measures that would require a treaty change.

This could include deporting foreign nationals after three months if they had not found a job and were unable to support themselves.

“The focus is on drawing up a German-compliant package of measures,” one minister said. “Cameron needs to square Merkel or we won’t get anything. We’ve got to stretch the existing rules to their limits. There is no right in the EU to stay somewhere if you can’t support yourself after three months. That will be part of the package, I have no doubt.”

Mr Cameron has said he will hold an in-or-out referendum on EU membership in 2017 if he wins the May general election. He has said he wants Britain to remain inside a reformed EU but it is far from clear that the reforms he wants will be accepted by other members.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is really about who is boss in Europe. The Germans are also making " the point " by charging Britain so much in the budget. Cameron may have to resign if he has to throw in the towel. Same old story really.

Get your jackboots out for a cleanup it seems. Ein zwei ...........WW3 is probably lost in an afternoon in Brussels thanks to the French and the other weazels.

OK own up who has stolen the sign at Dachau. Will it reappear in Berlin or Brussels ? In case you don't know it reads - Arbeit Macht Frei

Last edited:
With Spain having its own problems, with regard to what is going to happen in Cataluña after November 9, I am happy to let the UK sort its own problems out- No one knows what the future holds and, make no mistake, Cameron will be damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

The UK has not done anything constructive in Europe, that I can recall, except moan, since she has been a member. Far better for everyone if she leaves. The consequences, for better or worse, will sort themselves out--as they always do.

Does Europe really want to be under German rule again after their previous efforts to take over by force ? The rest of the EU are being laid out like lambs to the slaughter as Germany tightens her grip around the rest's throats. Although one can admire certain aspects of the Germanic character one has to remember they chucked out 100s of years of civilization to let through brutal Nazism. It could happen again but probably with changes.

Britain could be thrown out or walk out. Looking likely too.

Are they fit to rule ?
After 2 failed attempts the answer must be no. There are better things in life than giving total power to a corrupt elite to do as they like. Do I want to live in a Prussian style state - not bloody likely !!

Last edited:
I don't think any of it will happen to be honest with you. It's almost too big to fail at this point.

The EU's problems may be too big to survive. If the Greeks get war reparations what about the rest ? A pity they didn't sort out their problems when they could have,instead of just letting them get worse. Why Merkel is so fond of the migrants I don't know. I think the Pope got it right over the issue of respect, not the politicians.

You may be right Pat. Greece is SERIOUSLY going at loggerheads with the Eurozone commission right now.

Read somewhere that agreements have been reached on what's acceptable and this is just negotiation tactics to take it as close as possible in game play to see what else can be extracted. :idea:

I wish! Their currencies would drop it would be extremely cheap to do business there!

Why stock-market investors are falling back in love with Europe

China’s Xi hails Belt and Road as ‘project of the century’

Moreover, Europe also has projects underway to engage with African countries rich in natural resources.

Europe is the Future imo.

End of the EU looks and sounds so premature now that the financial crises with all the deregulation (legacy of the Ragan and Thatcher years) are receding behind us.

It's going to be a very stark and pointedly sharp contrast with the route UK and US have chosen to follow. :whistling

Why stock-market investors are falling back in love with Europe

China’s Xi hails Belt and Road as ‘project of the century’

Moreover, Europe also has projects underway to engage with African countries rich in natural resources.

Europe is the Future imo.

End of the EU looks and sounds so premature now that the financial crises with all the deregulation (legacy of the Ragan and Thatcher years) are receding behind us.

It's going to be a very stark and pointedly sharp contrast with the route UK and US have chosen to follow. :whistling

Yes, but think of the relief there will by being bossed from Westminster.:clap:

Last edited:
It seems France and Germany are trying t reform the EU. A bit late for Britain though. Don't know why they couldn't do it earlier.

It seems France and Germany are trying t reform the EU. A bit late for Britain though. Don't know why they couldn't do it earlier.

It is always considerably easier to reform a system from within than from the outside.

UK wasn't alone in asking for reforms and it had many other supporting countries in the EU. In fact France want to change some of her labour laws to be more flexible like ours.

Moreover, there was much talk of adopting English as the language of the EU.

fwiw I'm looking at leaving UK too. You should all know once I leave, UK is finished. :cheesy:

Now which country is queuing up to request my presence and honour. :cool: