The drugs problem

Many people especially youngsters have been forced into crime to pay off the parasites.
They are just a burden on society by being imprisoned and cared for.
A 10 pence bullet seems the obvious and cheap answer.
The wets can't stand the thought but it will get worse until there is no other option.
The cost of just trying to cope will cripple economies and as at present be totally ineffective.

If you look at the USA though, the 'drugs problem' actually makes profit rather than costing the economy. The USA is setup to profit from drugs related crime, law enforcement, the judiciary, the prisons, they are all money making scams run by private initiative, even the rehabs centres are bound to be profit makers.

Take the users away, take the profits away, part of the reason why cannabis legislation was resisted for so long, until they could calculate the tax regimes required to offset the loss of profit per prisoner.

If you look at the USA though, the 'drugs problem' actually makes profit rather than costing the economy. The USA is setup to profit from drugs related crime, law enforcement, the judiciary, the prisons, they are all money making scams run by private initiative, even the rehabs centres are bound to be profit makers.

Take the users away, take the profits away, part of the reason why cannabis legislation was resisted for so long, until they could calculate the tax regimes required to offset the loss of profit per prisoner.
And just who pays for all that ?
The tax payers I suppose ?

And just who pays for all that ?
The tax payers I suppose ?

Who else! Anything run by govt is using tax payers money, govts mostly generate cash from taxpayers, a free cashcow for providing a poor service.

The tax payer currently foots the bill for incarcerating people, surely the taxpayer would save money by keeping people out of the criminal system when they are harming no-one except themselves and possibly family, at least they are not deemed to be commiting a crime unless they are addicted and commiting burglary/shoplifting/mugging or the crime is as a direct result of consumption eg fighting when drunk or smashing things when drunk.

Legalisation would allow for control and taxation, whilst the black market wouldn't disappear entirely it would remove the illegal demand therefore reducing the criminal element, it would clean the product so that it can be certified safe and safe products can only be obtained through licensed establishments.

Pretty easy, the model is already in use in 50% of the planet that have legalised cannabis, why not for other drugs, eg I don't believe that E's are a major problem, there are millions of tablets taken every week, in comparison there are few deaths, and those few deaths could be controlled by licensed usage.

Or even have police free pill testing, buy your illegals if you must, get them tested for safety, even one death saved is a literally saving a £million in the costs to scrape up a dead person.

Problem is the moral issue that blinds people to facts and modern society.

Glad to hear Tom that you are no friend of the illegal drug dealers.
Nothing is likely to change soon.
But how many drug related deaths must there be before something happens.
Perhaps you have a better solution ?
Pat,

I don’t think that anyone here is saying that drugs are good. I’m certainly not. Most (if not all) drugs that are used for partying are bad for the body.

That being said, what we are trying to say is that prohibition is worse. Much worse.

As others have said, governments have taken what should be a problem between the user and their doctor and turned it into a world wide black market where smugglers threaten public safety.

Drugs can only hurt you if you imbibe. The war on drugs on the other hand hurts many innocents who have been shot in the crossfire.

It seems to me there is a choice between
1. Legalising all drugs and selling them over the counter. At least there would be quality control and what with AI about to make huge unemployment it's a possibility.
OR
2. Go in the opposite direction and dish out death sentances for the dealers.
The likelyhood is in fact neither of the above will appeal to the politicians and most Govts will continue as it currently is.

It seems to me there is a choice between
1. Legalising all drugs and selling them over the counter. At least there would be quality control and what with Coronovirus about to make huge unemployment it's a possibility.
OR
2. Go in the opposite direction and dish out death sentances for the dealers.
The likelyhood is in fact neither of the above will appeal to the politicians and most Govts will continue lining thier own pockets on the back of 'the war on drugs'

There, I've fixed it for you 🤭

lining their own pockets on the back of 'the war on drugs'
Um perhaps you know something we don't ?

I don't see how this is evidence forthe statement "Govts will continue lining thier own pockets on the back of 'the war on drugs". Can you elaborate?

You are right. I also consider that those who are taking drugs will find and will take them in any case. You cannot prohibit for human almost anything. If we want it, we'll get it in any case. And the government has designated big taxes for the sellers. I this case the budget will have more money for helping people with cancer disease for example.
Big taxes will drive the dealers back underground.