Thatcher

BBmac

Surely the home ownership has to be seen as a legacy. Hindsight has shown us that privatization is what what she thought it would be. Sure we can all play with figures any way we chose,but you cant argue the standard of living for most went the right way. She may have left a bigger class divide,but overall most were better of.
Oil is always given as a reason for us/usa getting involved in war etc,but what would have happened if we didnt go into kuwait,he would have gone into Saudi next etc.

even the animals are break dancing
probably a few street party's up north tonight

Attachments

• break dancing bear.gif
    break dancing bear.gif
    550.4 KB · Views: 866
Before Thatcher was in power we were the sick man of europe. 7 years in we were the leaders in commerce. How many of us became property owners during her tenure? Many of us I'm sure. How di she deal with terrorism? The right and proper way. How did she deal with the welfare state? Again for that era the right way. How did she deal with the communist left? By ensuring that they never started to dominate the country as they had with her tory predecessor. OK she will not be remembered as an angel of love but this country has achieved more international respect because of her than not.
RIP Baroness, I hope someday we have a leader as strong as you once more.

i think you mean "Gerry Adams, the IRA Terrorist"

Speaking of which I saw the video of this speech today. She narrowly avoids being killed during the night and just gets up in the morning and carries on.

British Political Speech | Speech Archive

I also saw one of her aides being interviewed about the Falklands War, he said she didn't go to bed any night until she had written a personal letter to the families of the soldiers and sailors killed that day.

I doubt we'll see her likes again.

No bb because, like you, I didn't much care for her and positively disliked her ideology. But, I'm sure her supporters will be able to supply you with a looooooong, long list!
;)
Tim.

I should have thought that the Brits woould have had enough of Labour governments. Does anyone remember the bank rate being in double digits before Maggie got in? I was on holliday in the UK and had travellers cheques. When I left Spain the rate was about 168/GBP. One morning , in the UK, it was120 pesetas/GBP. I went to the bank and changed all I had, Some of you guys have short memories but I can remember that!

A country with that kind of crisis needs a Maggie. Nothing else will do and, as I said before, she did win three elections.

Say what you want about Thatcher but at least she wasn't a snivelling weasel sh*t-bag like the rest of the politicians we're left with now.

What ever is said about her she divided the country. It is clear from these blogs one either likes or loathes her.

Winners and losers. Horses for courses. So much nostalgia. In the news we are told she listened to arguments and knew and was well informed about everything. Nothing of the sort. She was a self opinionated lady who became convinced of her own views on all things and seldom listened to advice. That's why her most established elderly statesmen started leaving the party.

That's why she got the boot because she listened to no one - for goodness sake! Remember Westland helicopter fiasco. Let's ditch it and buy from US. Why not ditch nuclear and buy protection from the US? Would have made more sense imo.

We are told she restored pride and greatness and belief in the work ethic of this country by kicking the unions. REALLY? She put in place a regime and institutionalised big management for really BIG mess-ups.

Which of the privatised industries are world leaders able to compete in other countries?

BT - phone line franchise is a matter of who bills you.
RAIL - biggest mess and compares most unfavourably with our competitors
GAS - prices in no way relate to cost and once again matter of who bills you
WATER - who thinks they have choice
ELECTRICITY - bring in the French

Do we have integrated national public transport? NO. Is this objective any easier to achieve now than before? Categorically NO!

How is defence doing? Not much. Nuclear weapons wasted. Ark Royal scrapped.

How is the reputation of the City? In tatters. Nothing unique about it other than time zone.

Who did she impress? The Yanks - by pulling together with Raegan. Well there is a surprise.

She got some rebate back from Europe. Wooohhoooo. Norman Lamont lost 7bn in fiasco created by her.

May she RIP as she did try hard by in all accounts - factually she did not much at all.

Changed perception we are told. Well the Berlin wall would have fallen anyhow. Raegan will have carried same policies and Russia and China's revolution had nothing to do with her either. US bled Russia in Afghanistan. 80s were great with hair do and music but after shock of oil and stagflation infested 70s the whole world leapt forward.

She ripped the heart out of many so communities and for what? PSBR went up, deeper recession than any other European country but hey she made us great again. She was a strong leader. Hitler and Stalin and Saddam were strong leaders too. No virtue in that. If she could she could I'm not sure she wouldn't have sent them to the gallows or the dungeons.

What she couldn't negotiate or manage she tore down and destroyed. Look at the GLC. Red Ken she said. Well he came back because they realised - hey we need a London council to take care of London. Shock horror!

I wouldn't be surprised if some bright spark Tory in the near future will re-natioanalise the natural monopolies including rail and we may start building everyday simple machines like bikes, cars and simple electronics again. We live in hope.

What has this lady done for the UK? No different to any other party imo. Blair and labour party emulated her lead and the tory party. All pomp and do with lot of hot air.

I'm shocked and stunned by all the sentimental rubbish put out. I lived through her years and they were bleeding hard. I started my career in McDonalds with an economics degree. 3m+ unemployed. Shocking. :cry:

We are in the same league and situ as our European neighbours. Big national debt with little earning potential. Over sized service sector with little or no manufacturing and small agriculture.

Reactions: WR1
What ever is said about her she divided the country. It is clear from these blogs one either likes or loathes her.

Winners and losers. Horses for courses. So much nostalgia. In the news we are told she listened to arguments and knew and was well informed about everything. Nothing of the sort. She was a self opinionated lady who became convinced of her own views on all things and seldom listened to advice. That's why her most established elderly statesmen started leaving the party.

That's why she got the boot because she listened to no one - for goodness sake! Remember Westland helicopter fiasco. Let's ditch it and buy from US. Why not ditch nuclear and buy protection from the US? Would have made more sense imo.

We are told she restored pride and greatness and belief in the work ethic of this country by kicking the unions. REALLY? She put in place a regime and institutionalised big management for really BIG mess-ups.

Which of the privatised industries are world leaders able to compete in other countries?

Do we have integrated national public transport? NO. Is this objective any easier to achieve now than before? Categorically NO!

How is the reputation of the City? In tatters. Nothing unique about it other than time zone.

Who did she impress? The Yanks - by pulling together with Raegan. Well there is a surprise.

She got some rebate back from Europe. Wooohhoooo. Norman Lamont lost 7bn in fiasco created by her.

May she RIP as she did try hard by in all accounts - factually she did not much at all.

Changed perception we are told. Well the Berlin wall would have fallen anyhow. Raegan will have carried same policies and Russia and China's revolution had nothing to do with her either. US bled Russia in Afghanistan. 80s were great with hair do and music but after shock of oil and stagflation infested 70s the whole world leapt forward.

She ripped the heart out of many so communities and for what? PSBR went up, deeper recession than any other European country but hey she made us great again. She was a strong leader. Hitler and Stalin and Saddam were strong leaders too. No virtue in that. If she could she could I'm not sure she wouldn't have sent them to the gallows or the dungeons.

What she couldn't negotiate or manage she tore down and destroyed. Look at the GLC. Red Ken she said. Well he came back because they realised - hey we need a London council to take care of London. Shock horror!

I wouldn't be surprised if some bright spark Tory in the near future will re-natioanalise the natural monopolies including rail and we may start building everyday simple machines like bikes, cars and simple electronics again. We live in hope.

What has this lady done for the UK? No different to any other party imo. Blair and labour party emulated her lead and the tory party. All pomp and do with lot of hot air.

I'm shocked and stunned by all the sentimental rubbish put out. I lived through her years and they were bleeding hard. I started my career in McDonalds with an economics degree. 3m+ unemployed. Shocking. :cry:

We are in the same league and situ as our European neighbours. Big national debt with little earning potential. Over sized service sector with little or no manufacturing and small agriculture.

Professor Patrick Minford was clearly paying attention as he obtained his qualifications.

Where were you...in the students union bar perhaps ?:LOL:

You must be very high up in McDonald's by now.

I bleedin 'ope so.(y)

And lets leave the Euro while we're at it:mad:

Bring back "Armchair Theatre" to the telly(y)

I never knew -- nor really got to know -- Thatcher, since I'm Canadian and all that.

But RIP to a person who can inflame popular discourse as only she can. I think she did a good job there. :LOL:

Off to see her maker
but which one ?

assume though its fairly hot where shes going

still trying to think of one good thing she did for the whole county - not just a few
but struggling