Thailand Non Working Visa

ChrisTinaBruce

Hi,

I am seeking information and advice on a move to Thailand (Bangkok or Pattaya) in Jan 2014.

I visited Bangkok in June of 2012 for 30 days and would like to return as a longer stay 9 months to a year. I am 44 years old, self employed as a day trader from a corporation I own. I understand Thailand does not want working expats, therefore I am if my trading is done online, my accounts are online in the USA I see no reason I still could not trade in Bangkok. My funds would be transferred electronically in the USA between broker and bank account in the USA. Therefore I would only be taking funds out of my bank to pay for rent, food, etc.

I have come to understand that there are a lot of expat pit falls especially when it comes to visa. I believe my only choice is: tourist visa (allows me 60 days, plus have to extend every 30 days)? Am I correct the tourist visa is 1000 baht each time?

Thank you in advance for the help.

Chris Tina Bruce

You can get a triple entry tourist visa from your country before traveling to Thailand(£75 in the UK, not sure about other countries fees). You then get 60 days on entry, go to immigration and pay a 1900 baht fee to extend the visa for another 30. Then a border run to leave and re-enter Thailand using the 2nd tourist visa giving 60 days again plus another trip to immigration and pay the fee again. Then border run again using the 3rd tourist visa and fee again.

This method can give 60+30+60+30+60+30 days total or 9 months. One point though the triple entry tourist visa is only valid for 6 months when issued so be careful of the date when re-entering for the 3rd visa.

You can then go to a neighboring countries consulate to get another single entry tourist visa to give you another 90 days giving you the 1 year stay.

You can also do an education visa which lasts for a year and costs 25000 baht, but you have to go to school to learn Thai for 2 days a week or something but you don't have to keep doing border runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for taking the time to write out completely. So many people stated something similar but did not really make sense. Seems a little silly the rules, but at least I understand. That would be perfect. One year on tourist and then if I want to stay I could try the education route.

Again Thank You.
Chris Tina

You can get a triple entry tourist visa from your country before traveling to Thailand(£75 in the UK, not sure about other countries fees). You then get 60 days on entry, go to immigration and pay a 1900 baht fee to extend the visa for another 30. Then a border run to leave and re-enter Thailand using the 2nd tourist visa giving 60 days again plus another trip to immigration and pay the fee again. Then border run again using the 3rd tourist visa and fee again.

This method can give 60+30+60+30+60+30 days total or 9 months. One point though the triple entry tourist visa is only valid for 6 months when issued so be careful of the date when re-entering for the 3rd visa.

You can then go to a neighboring countries consulate to get another single entry tourist visa to give you another 90 days giving you the 1 year stay.

You can also do an education visa which lasts for a year and costs 25000 baht, but you have to go to school to learn Thai for 2 days a week or something but you don't have to keep doing border runs.