Tennis trading

barneydunn

I don't see any discussion of sports trading through Betfair or similar? In my mind it's just as valid as anything else. I do quite well with it and I love the very well defined entries and exits, with a profit or a loss. Is anyone else doing this?

I don't but have a friend big into MMA betting. He loves how the underdog can have top fighter upsets.

What platform do you use for sports trading?

I don't but have a friend big into MMA betting. He loves how the underdog can have top fighter upsets.

What platform do you use for sports trading?
I use Betfair and Geek's Toy. To be honest you can trade well enough from the Betfair website itself but a third party app is better to get streaming prices and a bit more functionality.

I only trade the holds of serve, go with the most likely outcome, and if a break does occur then I wait for the breaker to serve their game then add another trade. It's less likely that the broken player will be broken twice. if they are I just hedge out and move on to another match. I should say I only do this on men's ATP 250 and above, no ladies or challenger matches, way too many breaks in those.

Interesting. I like how you got very specific with your strategy, I feel like that's super important with any sort of successful trading. How long have you been doing sports betting?

The use of the word "trading" in the title is a questionable one, what is being bought and sold or sold and bought? I think gambling is the most suitable word for betting on whether a sportsman will hold his serve or not. And since you only bet on the most likely outcome, how much risk do you have to take in order to realise a decent gain given that the odds are set by the bookmakers?

Interesting. I like how you got very specific with your strategy, I feel like that's super important with any sort of successful trading. How long have you been doing sports betting?
On and off for a long time but probably only successfully in the last few years. It's not something that I have been devoted to as a full time income although I can see that it could be done.

The use of the word "trading" in the title is a questionable one, what is being bought and sold or sold and bought? I think gambling is the most suitable word for betting on whether a sportsman will hold his serve or not. And since you only bet on the most likely outcome, how much risk do you have to take in order to realise a decent gain given that the odds are set by the bookmakers?
I think you just have a lack of understanding of what we're doing. You are buying and selling the odds as they move up and down in a very similar way to buying or selling a eurusd quote, it's no different. On a betting exchange it is the market participants that set the price albeit there are countless bots that move the prices to certain levels on certain outcomes but then that's exactly the same in forex. There are gamblers who use forex for their kicks just as there are tennis traders that use tennis but isn't it a structured approach to placing the "bets" in such a way as to give you a profitable expectancy that separates the gamblers from the traders?

If I use a £50 trade my hedged out risk if they don't hold is around £10. If they do hold then I can usually lock in between £5 and £10 depending on the stage of the game. The key is learning what is a good trade and what is a bad one. Of course any player can be broken at any time but statistically you can gain an edge if you are patient.

Nice, I took a look. What have been your results recently? What kind of strategy do you use on tennis?

I lay the favourite after the first break of serve.. So competitive ladies games are what i look for.

The other thing I quite like to do is to back the favourite after they have won the first set and then watch the second set. Unless they get broken it's just a ride to the finish and the risk is manageable.

Yes same here, but with the new season starting I'm trying out a new idea, just scalping the result in the last 10 mins of the game
The thing with that though is that if a goal is scored then the odds will shift so much that you can be left with a huge loss you can't do anything about. You'd be surprised how many times I was caught out by trying to trade a 2 - 0 match for a few ticks at the end of the game and the other team bashed in 2 goals. Of course once the first one goes in you're either waiting for the decay to bring your price back or hedging for a loss.

Fantasy Leagues are another huge thing, they have big prizes nowadays, not that I do it myself. Forex will always be king to me though.

Monetization of niche/nerd things is always happening. Wouldn't be surprised if we someday have pro D&D leagues :D

Hey - I've been lurking for a while and never created a profile. Thought I would reply to this because I think I'd actually know enough to contribute without being an imposter!

I've been sports trading for a few years. I've spent most time on the horses, pre race and in play. Never been able to get consistent- for every huge green, I'd cancel it out with a big red and then lose all discipline. I dabble every now and then with small amounts, but horses can be very frantic.

Football has always been a bit meh for me, from a trading perspective despite it being my favourite and most knowledgeable sport.

Just started getting into tennis and really enjoying it. I can see the patterns that form already. My favourite strategies are laying servers in the WTA, backing favs when they're broken. Also enjoying laying the Set 1 winner if it's been very close and the winners serve has been under pressure a lot. The downsides on those trades are small, with huge potential upsides. I've been making a steady profit, but I need to get better at exiting at the rights times to maximise greens and minimise reds. All in all, trading tennis has been far more relaxing than horses.

Be good to continue the chat and hear about how your tennis trading is going.

Hey - I've been lurking for a while and never created a profile. Thought I would reply to this because I think I'd actually know enough to contribute without being an imposter!

I've been sports trading for a few years. I've spent most time on the horses, pre race and in play. Never been able to get consistent- for every huge green, I'd cancel it out with a big red and then lose all discipline. I dabble every now and then with small amounts, but horses can be very frantic.

Football has always been a bit meh for me, from a trading perspective despite it being my favourite and most knowledgeable sport.

Just started getting into tennis and really enjoying it. I can see the patterns that form already. My favourite strategies are laying servers in the WTA, backing favs when they're broken. Also enjoying laying the Set 1 winner if it's been very close and the winners serve has been under pressure a lot. The downsides on those trades are small, with huge potential upsides. I've been making a steady profit, but I need to get better at exiting at the rights times to maximise greens and minimise reds. All in all, trading tennis has been far more relaxing than horses.

Be good to continue the chat and hear about how your tennis trading is going.
Thanks for registering and posting!

It sounds like you have been through the same process as everyone else does, figuring out what's going to work for them.

It also sounds like you are making some breakthroughs. Just as in forex incorporating some fundamentals usually makes the difference between break even and net profitable trading, reading the game, the players, etc in tennis seems to be the key to successful trading. You can't just back every server and expect them to hold. Reading the right time and putting your money at risk at the absolute best times is the way forward I think.

I've been doing ok but with a very small account for now just to build some consistency. I've been making around 1 to 2 % a day. I would like to say I have a hard and fast system but it is very much about reading what's going on and getting involved.