Experienced member
1,295 225
Well......this is embarrassing. I've been trading for a living (currencies, commodities) in the UK since 2011 and have been operating during that time as a SE sole trader. Not once have I ever sought professional advice (despite having family members who are accountants :unsure:). As incredibly naive and foolish as this is, when I started I never expected this to last. Hence the apathy.

This is my first foray into determining just what is the most tax-efficient way of operating. Gotta start somewhere!

In a nutshell:

Short term trading. Essentially day-trading.
Work from home.
Since 2017, after learning to code, trading is automated. Now working on new trading programs/ other programming projects
Higher rate(40%) tax band, but anticipate will be caught in additional rate within a few years
I live on ~20% of my pre-tax income
I funnel all spare funds into my sip and trading accounts.
31 years old with a high-risk tolerance.

So, any advice? What exactly are you guys doing?


0 0
Can incorporate in Jersey and compound the 80% tax free. Jersey incorporation costs in Year 1 will amount to £6,000 says online


Legendary member
8,408 1,338
If you're spreadbetting and you're subject to UK tax laws, forget the whole thing.

Otherwise, seek out a reputable tax expert and pay them to work it out for you.


0 0
once ready to retire become resident in monaco and cash out of the jersey ltd tax free
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock