Surfing The Trend

ilia king

So far all the expressions have been 'The Trend is Your Friend'. I would guess that entering the trend from its start would get you a big return. I have a couple of questions, forgive me if they sound too novice:

1) Would it be better to wait for a trend to start and then enter the market or trade by smaller chart patterns.

2) How is it possible to notice a trend, double bottom? Channel, Breakout? Could there be a chance that they are fake signals.

3) Would you get out of a trend using Elliot Waves or Maybe Support Or Double Top, or H&S

Would it be worthwile waiting for a trend to start and then going with it? Also I would presume that a trend works best on Long Time frame? Lastly when would you enter a trend?

Many Thanks

Ilia
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Would the ta look a bit like this?

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 558
But the above patterns could have given false signals, or weak signals. Would a trend chart start from many signals are once strong one, ie. a large double bottom with a lot of air between

The trend may well be your friend, but not half as chummy as knowing your initial exit point before you execute the entry - and therefore understanding your risk and how you are going to manage the trade.

TA is very rarely about prediction (there is a certain amount of 'prediction' about a couple of chart patterns), in reality TA is a tool that allows you to place your trade within a rigid framework - your 'plan' - whilst hopefully swinging the 50/50 chance of a profit into your favour.

The inability of many to comprehend this, or even to consider it in quite a few cases, is what gives TA the 'tea-leaves' tag.

The reason someone picks up a trend early enough is that they have learned to recognise a set of circumstances that their plan picks up. They then have enough flexibility within their plan to enable them to latch onto and follow that trend, whilst also accepting that it isn't going work every time.

BTW the 'rigid framework' applies to the disciplined execution of your plan, it does not mean the the plan itself has to be rigid, that is down to you to figure.

Oh, and that is't a head and shoulders, no support has been broken and the pattern is very far from holding the sort of symmetry that you would expect.

... and MA's are worthless.

Oh, and that is't a head and shoulders, no support has been broken and the pattern is very far from holding the sort of symmetry that you would expect.

... and MA's are worthless.

Hmmmm.... MA's are worthless, interesting statement because to me and my trading method, a method by the way that rakes in the pips MA's are king!

But of course you need the correct MA's and then you need to know exactly how to use them.

I suggest you check out my journal which by coincidence is called 'surfing the wave'

Must admit I didn't realise this thread was ancient history, the word surfing cought my eye and the sweeping comment about useless MA's had to be addressed, guess everyone has their own opinion that's what makes for a good forum!

Did anyone spot the 6.5 year gap between posts there .. impressive.

There's a lot of that going here lately. No one pays attention to the dates when they search and some old musty threads get new life. :LOL:

I found at least 3 of them in the NEW Posts this morning.

Peter