Suffocating Chickens In A Bag, Going Cheap

jsd

Hmmm now a chicken is a chicken is a chicken and all that, but to see them being taken from their already miserable 1 square foot living cube and being stuffed into plastic sacks,live, to suffer an even more miserable painful departure from their time on this planet is a sight that quite frankly angers me.

I keep a few hens free range,resuced from a breeder that used not so quite free range ethics. They were all balding due to close confinment pecking last year but have since returned to flull plumage, have learnt to run and even fly, albeit somewhat clumsily, being light sussex heavies.

Thankfully EU law is banning battery system to be out by 2012 (if memory serves correct) and request egg users here to buy Organically certified eggs and chickens as these merit the highest ethics for hens. (surpassing free range stamp).

alternatively keep a few hens yourself, they pay for themselves and you'll get a better egg for it, the hens will be happy and you'll gain satifaction a plenty getting back into balance of how we are meant to work within nature.

Thats my moan over with....
JD

I used to keep chickens.
RIR x Light Sussex.
Nice eggs once you got them into lay too.
Darned fox got the lot one night.
Eat the head off one, took one and left the rest dead.

My most abiding memory of them is the surprise I felt when I noticed myself talking to them one day as I searched for eggs......and I thought they were stupid! :eek:

well your not on your own, they respond to the call of here chook,chook,chooks and i do request egg productivity from time to time, completely ignored, and if we dont appear with any left over greens and vegies etc they do look a bit discontent, cooked pasta iis a big favourite for them. except the dog feels left out so he frequently dines with them. (Fortunately not on them). But the locals stop by our gate for eggs we cant meet demand at the moment ,60p for 6 top notch eggs, the equivalant is 1.78 in safeway.. if youve got the space you cant lose really you can pick up point of lay hens for 1-2 quid each some will lay 300+ a year and they are great fun ,hmmmm. hen keepers know what i mean.

jd

I wonder what Safeway pay for the eggs they sell at 1.78 ?

Anybody know ?

We used to eat nearly all of ours.
It was rare for all six to be in lay at once, there was always one sulking.
I used to keep Quail too and enjoyed the odd sixteen egg omlette

Qaza,
Not anywhere near enough.
That's why they keep chickens in Batteries, its the only way to make a margin.
If they got 3p an egg, I'd be surprised :(

I love battery hens its a great idea, when they get a bit run down you can always put them on charge . :LOL: