Subscribed Threads and Forums

Sharky

Staff
The way that subscribed threads currently works is:

1.When you subscribe to a thread it appears in the list of subscribe threads in your User Control panel

2. You receive a notification email each time a new post is added to that thread.

Comment: I think this works fine, the one change I've made today is that you can now "unsubscribe" from threads directly within the thread - before you could only "subscribe", having to unsubscribe through the User Control panel.

The way that subscribed threads currently works is:

1.When you subscribe to a forums it appears in the list of subscribed forums in your User Control panel

2. You do NOT receive a notification email each time a new thread is added to that forum. It's only a useful as a customised version of the Boards Overview page.

Comment: I don't think many members actually find this customised view particularly useful (correct me if I'm wrong) - hence I don't think many people subscribe to forums.

The suggested upgrade, would be to send an email notification like for subscribed threads each time a new thread is posted in that forum. Please let me know whether you think this would be beneficial and give you a reason to make more use of the subscribed forums function.

Like with subscribed threads I've today made a change so that you can now "unsubscribe" from forums directly within the forum - before you could only "subscribe", having to unsubscribe through the User Control panel.

Please Note: If you have no idea what I'm going on about. Have a look at the bottom of every forum and thread, and you'll see an option to subscribe. Perhaps we should make this more noticeable with a button at the top of the page?

Paul
The option for email alert when a new thread is added to a subscribed forum is offered by for example ET. I find it quite handy as a reminder

Thanks Rognvald, I've taken a look and yes it would work in precisely this way. My only concern is that switching this feature on everyone who currently subscribes to a forum is going to start receiving emails all of a sudden, and we all know how frustrating it is to receive emails we never asked for is. All the same, I think it would really help to keep track of new and interesting threads.

From tomorrow morning we will be implementing the automatic email notification on new threads in subscribed forums.

Please be aware all subscriptions will automatically receive emails. If you do not want to receive suc emails please unsubscribe now from the forum in your User Control Panel here:
http://www.trade2win.co.uk/boards/usercp.php?s=

Likewise if you'd like to receive an email each time a new thread is created in a particular forum (starting tomorrow morning), please subscribe now to the forum, by clicking the link at the bottom of the forum page - you can see which forums you're currently subscribed to by viewing your User Control panel here: http://www.trade2win.co.uk/boards/usercp.php?s=

I will be sending out an email later in the day to all current forum subscribed notifying them that they will start receiving emails to subscribed forums from tomorrow.

Is there any way I can switch off the emails, but keep the subscribed forums? The subscribed forums is very useful, but I don't want 200 emails a day to let me know how useful they are - I'd rather just stop using the site.

As an update, we've delayed the introduction of notification emails until tomorrow - Sat 6th Feb. So please make sure you update your setting before then. Emails have now gone out to all current forum subscribers.

Zzaaxx99, no at the moment there is no option between receiving/not-receiving the emails. But in it's current form with no email sent, the subscription service has little merit and I can't see why anyone would really use it. I'd be interested to know how you use it and whether you find it more useful than browsing the forum home page, or viewing the latest post, or list of newest threads? If you didn't want to receive the email all you'd have to do is unsubscribe from the forum.

Also 200 emails a day is not realistic, we have about 40 forums, and yesterday for example we only had 14 news threads, so even if you we're subscribed to half of the forums, you'd probably only receive 7 emails.

I use the subscribed forums list to show me the forums that I'm interested in - I have a link to that page, and rarely visit the home page, and almost never visit rhe forums home.

The automated emal facility is now live. If people would like the option of turning this on or off for subscribed forums please let me know, as I will schedule in the work requried to achieve this.

Yes, please schedule the work to enable email notifications to be switched off - this really should have been made available before the email bombardment started, IMHO.

You have so many boards, that the subscriptions are the only sane way to manage them, IMHO.

I'm now going to unsubscribe to everything, until the emails can be switched off :(