Stop loss or % of capital?

sandpiper said:
That all sounded strangely familiar....

ah well, I think it's time to play the music, time to light the lights...

Where's the rudester when you need him?
That was the end of the discussion between Alice, the Gryphon, and the Sea Snake,
with regard to how lessons are called lessons because they get less and less and then the last day is a holiday....

Yes quite, and don't forget that I am allowed to say these things to him because after all,
last year the membership, in its collective wisdom, voted me the site's funniest member.:LOL:
so from time to time I am allowed to excercise my prerogative, u c ?

RUDEBOY was only awarded a bronze, and that, is just not fair, as he is far far funnier than me, because he has this knack of telling it as it is, immediately.:LOL:

It has, I respectfully suggest, the result of upsetting a lot of people, for reasons that are not altogether clear to me.:cheesy:

Last edited:
You guys are going to have to excuse my heavy drinking habits! BIG RED FACE!

I'm sure Brett will understand, though?

He's a psychothispiantisatharianatic?

Surely he should realise my anger?

Sorry, guys.

BIG RED FACE.

Timely Arrival.....On Cue..

RUDEBOY said:
You guys are going to have to excuse my heavy drinking habits! BIG RED FACE!

I'm sure Brett will understand, though?

He's a psychothispiantisatharianatic?

Surely he should realise my anger?

Sorry, Guys

BIG RED FACE {QUOTE}

Ah ! There u are, RUDEBOY !

We were just mentioning you....

You have just missed the event of the evening...nudge...up there...:arrowu: ...you know......

I'm off to bed ~ bizzi day tomorrow...

I love it.......love it all! The old stop loss conversation, let's keep the embers burning, eh? You either know about it or you don't.

Bringing the conversation up tells me you are probably bored or you haven't got a clue, but, since i didn't start this one, and it was up for grabs.......i'll stick my oar in.

As for a stop 'system' that's set in stone and one that will set you on the road to riches..........

Well, it sobers ME up!

Kunal said:
I really do appreciate the effort everyone has put in here.
IMO, psychology and experience do have a small role to play, but ultimately it is mainly stock selection and timing according to the trade timeframe.

Interestingly, nobody directly agreed with, OR disagreed with, the use of the NR4, OR even commented sideways on it's efficiency.

Re read this thread in a few more years my friend

Percentage of you're capital?

Or a volatility based stop?

Apparently, some of the best on here have stated stuff about market or price knowledge?

You can't have it all ways?

So......., you take the best of both worlds.

Varying stop %? Depending on market conditions and timeframe?

I can't get fairer than that?

Get your money management in line.

As for 'tight stops', and i'm not knocking 'tight stops'. I personally think it's all conversation.

Let me guess this one.................people?

Day traders will give you all the situations that they will avoid? Why do they avoid them?

Is it because they have not got the skill to trade them certain situations?

Overnight?

The open?

Don't tell me about tight stops! Unless your going to tell me about timeframe.

Then you will give your weakness away!

Whatever timeframe you trade, you have a weakness.

Tight stops?

What is a tight stop?

How much you win as oppose to how much you lose?

Are these ratios subject to reality or greed?

millsy500 said:
Re read this thread in a few more years my friend
Millsy, I have just been got out of bed by events unfolding on the other side of the world,
a real nuisance, in the land that time forgot, but that is another matter.

I have just seen your comment, very apt.

You are being exceedingly benevolent and considerate to him.

You omit to tlell him additionally that if he succeeds, in a few years time he will cringe with embarrassment....:eek:....at the patent ineptitude of his current pronouncement.

RUDEBOY said:
As for 'tight stops', and i'm not knocking 'tight stops'. I personally think it's all conversation.

Let me guess this one.................people?

Day traders will give you all the situations that they will avoid? Why do they avoid them?

Is it because they have not got the skill to trade them certain situations?

Overnight?

The open?

Don't tell me about tight stops! Unless your going to tell me about timeframe.

Then you will give your weakness away!

Whatever timeframe you trade, you have a weakness.

Tight stops?

What is a tight stop?

How much you win as oppose to how much you lose?

Are these ratios subject to reality or greed?

RUDEBOY, it is very simple.

The greater the level of ability, the tighter the stop.

The less the level of ability, the wider the stop.

No ability = no stop either, simple.

At the sharp end (ability, self responsibility, cognizance, response) the stops are very tight.

At the blunt end (greed, impatience, ignorance, dereliction) there are very wide stops or none at all.

All of it is very simple, and as Pod G says " It is obvious"....It is screaming at you".

Very Kind Regards.

Displaying weakness by trying to hunt for protection in numbers, or by seeking refuge in humor, or even by hiding behind perceived authority, will never be able to let BS survive from any that can expose it.
If anyone wants to be offensive, thats absolutely fine with me as I can be even more offensive.
If anyone wants to be nice, thats equally fine with me as I can be nicer.
So, which do you want?

Hi Kunal, I hope you found something useful from the responses you have received in this thread.

While some members have been a little severe or pointed in this, it has to be said, something does not sit quite 'right'.

You came into this thread as an apparent newbie. Asking newbie-type questions and certainly with the W:L profile of a newbie. It was reasonable for us to assume you were (or are) a relative newbie.

The members who responded did so, let's assume by default, with positive intent. Or at the very least, almost certainly without any negative intent. For you to attempt to hit us over the head with our 'failure' to come up with NR4 or even to comment upon it once you had 'discovered' it, and your continuing manner in addressing this and other 'shortfalls' in us, could be considered rude at worst, or a breach of etiquette at best.

Not a big deal I know, but you may just find future responses to any further queries you may have to be less prolific or well considered. Which will be a pity.

charliechan said:
kunal - here is the answer you are looking for.

NOBODY CAN TELL ****Y*O*U**** WHERE TO PUT ****Y*O*U*R**** STOP.

THE END.

got it?

stop placement is decided upon the following:

your time frame
your tolerance to risk
your account size
your product
your method
your objectives
your comfort level.

it is more art than science.

i have no idea if anyone has explained this to you already as there is no way on gods green earth that i am going to plough 9 pages of tittle tattle as people debate over various shades of grey when they miss the whole spectrum of colour around them.

trading is an individual task, especially when trading your own money. there is no right or wrong way.

if you were to start a thread called 'how to spot a trend' you would get another 9 pages of different ideas.

the bottom line is your equity curve. when its going up you have the right answer - for you.

I agree. The original question on this thread didn't give enough information to form a good answer. There are so many different ways to trade stocks that there often isn't a correct answer. I know some very wealthy people who have never used a stop, they just buy a stock and never sell it. Looking back, I wish that I had followed that advice. Here is one I was stopped out on in 2002.

Attachments

• c.gif
    c.gif
    7.8 KB · Views: 249
I sometimes wish I had held on to some AAPL stock I bought last year for $32,and maybe sold when they hit $85 not so long ago

Kunal said:
Displaying weakness by trying to hunt for protection in numbers, or by seeking refuge in humor, or even by hiding behind perceived authority, will never be able to let BS survive from any that can expose it.
If anyone wants to be offensive, thats absolutely fine with me as I can be even more offensive.
If anyone wants to be nice, thats equally fine with me as I can be nicer.
So, which do you want?
The first, because it is the real you, simple, hahahaha. But it won't get you anywhere.

Hi Bramble,
"For you to attempt to hit us over the head with our 'failure' to come up with NR4 or even to comment upon it once you had 'discovered' it, and your continuing manner in addressing this and other 'shortfalls' in us, could be considered rude at worst, or a breach of etiquette at best."
In all fairness, I have read about 1000-2000 posts on this board and I have a rough idea of yours and others level of skill.
I started this thread with all positive intent too, and expected that senior knowledgable members like you would sort it out in a jiffy.
You could view it as a measure of how highly I rate some of the senior member's skills. At no point in time did I intend to hurt yours or any of the other members feelings who genuinely desired to help.
Yes, you are right , I am not a newbie tho not that advanced either. I am defnitely profitable in long timeframe trading, the shorter timeframes are in need of tweaking. Maybe it's because I use wider stops in long term trades. Also, it is difficult to find time in the office to watch the screen continously.
When I started the thread I did hope that you, Bigbusiness, FC and dbp would chip in regularly as it could have speeded up the whole process tremendously.
If FC does come in, perhaps he could teach me some snooker too . . . . .
Well, now that the pleasantries are over, I need to attend to other things.

Quote:
"The first, because it is the real you, simple, hahahaha. But it won't get you anywhere."
Yes, it IS the real me, because I AM offensive whenever I get the stink of BS. I don't intend it to get me anywhere on this thread, either.
Since you have already given up trying to drag others into this, the remaining sentences are for you only.
My purpose is served just as long as I can find people here who will permanently drop the illusion that they used to hang on to, about you, until now.
BTW, Bramble has better persuasive skills than you do.

Kunal said:
Hi Bramble,
"For you to attempt to hit us over the head with our 'failure' to come up with NR4 or even to comment upon it once you had 'discovered' it, and your continuing manner in addressing this and other 'shortfalls' in us, could be considered rude at worst, or a breach of etiquette at best."
In all fairness, I have read about 1000-2000 posts on this board and I have a rough idea of yours and others level of skill.
I started this thread with all positive intent too, and expected that senior knowledgable members like you would sort it out in a jiffy.
You could view it as a measure of how highly I rate some of the senior member's skills. At no point in time did I intend to hurt yours or any of the other members feelings who genuinely desired to help.
Yes, you are right , I am not a newbie tho not that advanced either. I am defnitely profitable in long timeframe trading, the shorter timeframes are in need of tweaking. Maybe it's because I use wider stops in long term trades. Also, it is difficult to find time in the office to watch the screen continously.
When I started the thread I did hope that you, Bigbusiness, FC and dbp would chip in regularly as it could have speeded up the whole process tremendously.
If FC does come in, perhaps he could teach me some snooker too . . . . .
Well, now that the pleasantries are over, I need to attend to other things.

Quote:
"The first, because it is the real you, simple, hahahaha. But it won't get you anywhere."
Yes, it IS the real me, because I AM offensive whenever I get the stink of BS. I don't intend it to get me anywhere on this thread, either.
Since you have already given up trying to drag others into this, the remaining sentences are for you only.
My purpose is served just as long as I can find people here who will permanently drop the illusion that they used to hang on to, about you, until now.
BTW, Bramble has better persuasive skills than you do.
My view is that you have an attitude, a bad one.

This attitude is one of ungratefulness and disrespect.

Neither will serve you in your endeavours, as you doom yourself to failure as a consequence.

Good Luck to You, because you certainly need it, until the penny drops one day, or not.

In contradistinction to others, I am not prepared or willing to engage in diplomacy. I give you the facts, brutal, and to the point, that's all.

From then on, it is all up to you, sink or swim.

So you had better take swimming lessons fast.

And while you are at it, washing your mouth out with strong disinfectant will not do you any harm, in fact it will do you and all of us a lot of good.

Last edited:
Space for a dishwasher ?

Kunal

There is another new thread on stops "Why don't we keep stops", which you might find useful.

I have a space in my kitchen where I had planned to put a dishwasher. Some of my friends had them and I saw adverts saying how a dishwasher would save me time and produce the most perfect results. I pondered for a while. I examined all the brochures - that Z*****I brand looked great - sparkling, latest technology etc. However I watched one of my friends loading the dishes after a dinner party. The first thing he did was to rinse all the plates before he put them into the machine. Why did he have to do that I asked when this state-of-the-art machine promised it would do the job to perfection ?

I helped remove the dishes after the cycle and most were clean, but there were the odd few where the machine had failed to hit the mark. In fact one of the rather delicate antique wine glasses had been chipped by the automated programme. I guess it wasn't meant for such a machine.

The space in my kitchen is still there. I decided to save my money and wash the plates by hand. It takes a little more time, I know, but everything ends up sparkling clean and undamaged. At least I still have my full dinner service !

Charlton

Hello Charlton,

When I last looked, Zanussis performed considerably worse than Boschs or Mieles, according to Which? It would be unlikely that their brochure would rush to highlight this shortcoming. This dip into the fallen king of consumer idiocy followed an uneventful date with Kate Moss, you understand. Anyway, 'Please beware form over function', they blandly exhorted, 'however enticing the tarty silver ones with subtly recessed controls may seem, the white, boring ones still have the edge in performance'. So now we know. :)

My wife and I have never rinsed 'owt before challenging our Teutonic beast with the foulest platens of greasy residue, and we haven't yet been disappointed. It really isn't necessary, unless you have entertained a vegetarian with steak and kidney pie, in which case any available quadruped is the obvious beneficiary.

Actually I've noticed that folk who perform a ritual pre-dishwasher rinse and employ a cleaner are apt also to clean their house within an inch of its life before the cleaner arrives. There is a definite connection. I've never been sure whether they are ashamed, considerate, mistrusting or simply oblivious to the function of, erm, labour-saving technology. :)

Stacking a dishwasher properly is an art oft ignored yet easily learned, according to my Mum. Despite this discouragement, the act becomes an undiluted joy as soon as you realise how much less time even the most complicated "Tetris level 9" stack takes when compared to the endless drudgery of using a brush and sink.

Even if it involves dried-on cat food, tortilla, cigarette ash, lengthy spinach stalks and of course the ubiquitous 'matter', on this occasion nervously united with tea leaves by solidified lamb fat, all spread among sufficent oddly-shaped vessels to require devilishly inventive placement, you will still have saved time. Reading that sentence would have taken longer in fact.

Wine glasses should never be put in a dishwasher unless you don't mind them slowly turning grey (thanks to the harsh abrasive powder). Anyone who puts antique glasses in one is a dangerous idealist.

I can promise you a (German) dishwasher is an excellent investment, even if you have to re-clean the occasional omelette pan. :) Your water bill will thank you too.

Effoff Mum is a perfectly acceptable response by the way. :) I'd better shut up.

A coincidence you should mention these whirring beasts.

We have had to have ours replaced this very morning. The present encumbent is three and a half years old and out of warranty, so it is a new one, but it does not matter as the other branch of the Teutonic Estableishment are paying for it. It is a Bosch Exxel, exact replacement.

The outgoing wrecked one is a mystery. Leaking....for no apparent reason. Rust underneath. Nuisance. Would cost more in parts than to get a new one, so a new one it is.

Apparently they don't like to be neglected and need to be run every week, which is a pest if you travel. So be mindful of appointing a dishwashersitter if you plan any peregrinations of any duration.

Another thing is that apparently they don't like spaghetti, as it is apt to give them indigestion. Their digestive tracts are not designed to cope with pasta. Ha Ha Ha.