Stock Market - Win £40,000

Which is all well and good providing you are willing to agree to "all reasonable publicity and marketing" and allow someone else to define what their idea of 'reasonable' is.

£40K is a good day's trading profits I agree, but I'm a little publicity-shy. :eek:

Hi

Hi yes agreed but its nice as a distaction from the more serious side of trading. And a nice earner if you can win it.

TheBramble said:
Which is all well and good providing you are willing to agree to "all reasonable publicity and marketing" and allow someone else to define what their idea of 'reasonable' is.

£40K is a good day's trading profits I agree, but I'm a little publicity-shy. :eek:

Wow, can't believe that I'm top of the Midlands section. OK, so there's still 170 days left to go and I've got no chance of staying there but, hey, just goes to prove that the 'close your eyes and pick 10 stocks' CAN work if you're lucky!

The only way now is down......

Edster

Wow ! Look at this......

From the website link above:~ <QUOTE>

INVESTING IN SHARES
< AN INTRODUCTION>

Technical Analysis

And I quote "Some investors view technical analysis as a kind of crystal ball gazing
but few ignore it completely and many professional investors employ
people to analyse what history may teach us about the future". <UNQUOTE>

Marvellous, isn't it ?

Yes,
it does rather suggest that 'professionals' need to employ TA analysts, as 'professional investors' and 'Technical Analysts' are distinctly seperate groups, doesn't it?

I just can't follow this at all - HPQ has absolutely bombed today, 3.1% down so far (only 4c of previous low on daily chart... are the 1-2-3 lot watching?) I've looked at the EPS and it seems pretty much as per yesterday - in fact it's not changed all that much for a good while, yet the price on my 10 minute chart is bouncing all over the place.

Could it be that... (hushed tones)... fundamentals aren't actually that much use for daytrading? (Shock horror).

DaveJB said:
Yes,
it does rather suggest that 'professionals' need to employ TA analysts, as 'professional investors' and 'Technical Analysts' are distinctly seperate groups, doesn't it?
Hello Dave,

Yes that is absolutely on the button.

Now here is a riddle you can crack immediately but not if you are on the wrong side.

Many years ago when I was working in broking in the city, the firm had a research department that was rated top of the bunch month in and month out. It produced reams and reams and reams of bumff extolling the merits and demerits of a whole range of Industrials, mines & oil companies.

These were churned out weekly, in vast quantiities.

I was not on the dealing side at the time, I was busy in the office upstairs, waiting and hoping for a slot to go on the floor.

But as these were my green as a salad days, I was very keen to investigate everything.

I set about doing a little research of my own, in my spare time. I very soon discovered a very curious anomaly, not withstanding the fact that the "Analists" who produced the bumff were revered and cherished.

I discovered by statistically examining market prices, that there was an INVERSE relationship between the shares tipped in the bumff and consequentl lack of results and the shares not tipped in the bumff and favourable results, sparkling.

I also deduced that the major activity was in the shares not tipped whereas the tipped were ignored by the dealers, who were supposed to be supported by the reseach department analists (the spelling is deliberate, Bramble, by the way) This I found cynical and curious.

This to me was an early clue that all is not as it seems, hence my fondness for Alice, In Wonderland. But I digress. I then proceeded to develop a smallish portfolio with the consent and permission of my employers who thought my antics arcane, in which I only bought shares not tipped, and they all went up ! This by the way, was not insider trading.

Insider trading constitutes taking advantage of inside information relating to sensitve matters with regard to a company's affairs or inside information in advance of a release of news or statisical information or results in advance of them being made available to the public. This was just contrarianism for the sake of it.(TIC) I say this because the Broker's role is to render a service to his clients and not to get involved with sensitive company matters.

I found the cynical game quite fascinating, because the bumff was hyped more and more by the very clients who were participating profitably by doing the opposite. Now isn't that interesting ?

And so, this was 1972 here is where the first dawning of a faint realisation that markets are not driven by news, brokers' opinions, statistics, results, but by other forces, rather like hidden magnets playing tricks (bit of physics there) baffling the uninformed and unaware.

Hence my fondness for allegories and their use in illuminating and inspiring members.

Kind Regards As Usual.

Quel surprise Albert, (pronounced Alberrrrrr <g>)
You'll be telling me next that some fiends spot reversal points, assume the great unwashed are probably lining up there ready to enter, and engineer the odd 'above/below current quote' trade, encouraging the unknowing to enter the sparkling trend reversal..... then, much to everyone's dismay the price REVERSES at the breakout point, leaving the outsiders in the cold and exposed. I've even heard tell that volume can be unusually high at such events, because (hold onto your hat here, the machiavellean machinations could astound) not only do the insider cads close out the buys that drove the price up to the pivot, but they promptly sell even more as they were intending to short all along.

Tsk tsk tsk - can you imagine anyone being so underhand?

All the best and have a relaxing weekend <g>

The reversal points are always there, waiting, hovering. It is simply a question of spotting them and using them. I cannot imagine anyone being so underhand but I can percieve someone being totally overhand.<G>.

By the way, talking of relaxing weekends. I have just returned from an overseas trip in which I admit to having comitted the greatest blunder imaginable. I always travel with a pilot bag. These bags are fantastic because they are the right size to pass as hand luggage when in a hurry or to go as cargo when not in a hurry.

I have a drill in packing. You would be astonished to see how much can be packed effectively into one of these after several years of practice. I always pack in the same sequence. Everything goes in first and the last things to go on top are Passport, Credit Cards, Driving Licence, Passcards, ID, Cash and Maps,
reading glasses, night driving glasses, sunglasses.

Anyway, on this occasion, my wife insisted on accompanying me, she under the illusion that I was travelling with her and not her with me. I have two pilot bags, one for long range travel and one for short range travel. The long range travel pilot bag is slightly larger and has a velcro pocket at each end and the short range only has a pocket at one end. Both are loaded in a state of instant readiness with the right clothing appropriate for the season or destination.

You know how the ladies have a propensity to pack even the kitchen sink if they can get away with it, and how they lead themselves to believe you are travelling with them rather than them with you. Anyway, so now she begins to insist that she will carry the passports in her handbag, persistently insisting as they are apt to do.

So on this occasion I relent, against my better judgement and allow her for the sake of peace, to carry the passports. But the net effect of this is that this action of itself upsets my packing agenda, an agenda perfected through repetiion and habit with which I feel totally comfortable.

The very last stage of the packing revolves around the passport. Having the passport in my hand is like a bookmark to me of what goes with it (ticket, credit cards and driving licence). On this occasion my "bookmark" was missing from the sequence. We are on the plane, halfway across the ocean and I suddenly get a fit of panics.I convince myself that the credit card and driving licence are not in the bag. The bag, is in the hold. This is a pickle, since I have a car, booked and waiting. Fortunately I have ample cash in my pocket, fortunately. When we land in the arrivals hall, I proceed to empty the contents of the pilot bag to check, to the amazement of bystanders who behave as if they are witnessing some magic feat of endless disgorgement. To my frustration and annoyance I do not find either. The self drive hire car has to be cancelled. I now have to engage a chauffeur driven car. Not a problem.

I do what I have to do and return to the UK. I now start hunting for the elusive items all over the house, everywhere you can and cannot think of. The process takes four hours. I am jetlagged, tired, have a headache.There is feminine "help" which we filter as nagging....In the end, in the middle of the night, I give up.

In the morning I am ready to visit the bank to tell them the card is missing. There is suddenly a sheepish apparition with the elusive objects in hand. As a consequence of of upsetting the habitual agenda I had put the two items in one of the end pockets, that I never use and that by coincidence i only checked one, the empty one ! All is well that ends well.

In this there are several lessons to be learnt.

1. Always stick to your habitual agenda.
2. Do not allow the wife to take charge and upset habitual agendas of this type.
3. Do not agree to comply for the sake of peace.
4. Do not modify the agenda if it works, repeatedly, unerringly, without fail.
5. Do not be persuaded to hand over responsibility unless there is very good reason.

I mention all of this because it is as relevant to trading practices as it is to everything else.

Have a good weekend too. Looking forward to Monday morning. <G>.

Kind Regards.

Oh yes.
I'd agree with 1-5 and the drawn conclusion... after our last trip, during which my driving license was presented at the car hire counter, it was returned 'for safe keeping' to her imperial highness' bag. When the Tayside Constabulary decided to take a holiday snap of me (they took two, but mistimed them badly and only caught the back of the car I was driving) I was cordially invited to show them my previously unblemished record of driving skill.

On the plus side, it did only take a fortnight or so to get a replacement license.