Stochastics on Intra Day Chart

Hi Keith

This strategy of yours is excellent.
I've got a load of questions for you, so I'll send you an email tomorrow if thats ok?

Cheers
Chris

Hi Keith,

Nice pic and great results - but I don't see any stochs on the chart - also what settings are you using? And if you wouldn't mind, what's your entry ?
Sorry to be pain mate but its something that interests me... I trade the ES used to love the stochs but could never get them (or my entry) as optimal as I'd have liked.

Cheers Mark : )

Mark,
You dont actually need the Stocs on the chart as long as you have the system running on it.
Settings? On which? The Dax or the Dow?
Funny enough if you are refering to the Mini s&p I have never found anything in 7 years that works on that market as good as what I have on the others.

Proberbly better to email me Mark.

Keith

Guys.....3 posts up I said.........did you get my NEW email address? And you all posted to the OLD address........! No wonder you havent got a reply!

New email addy as [email protected]

Just for Mark I I did a bit of work on the Mini S&P. This was run this over the Mini S&P for 5 days with one contract per trade.
See what you think,
Comments please.

Regards
Keith

Attachments

• mini s&p 5 days.doc
    97 KB · Views: 466
Looks very impressive, Keith.
It would seem Stochastics-based systems may in fact work in ES...
What about over a longer period?
By the way - have you done any work with ADX/ DMI?
I was looking at it last night for possible uses in conjunction with other indicators and it could be useful for avoiding false reversal divergence signals during trending periods...
I spoke to a US stock trader once who used it profitably but never looked into it further. I think it's worth some investigation for the Futures.

Last edited:
Thanks Mark,
but the reason I asked for comments was that as I had said to you before, I have never manged to find anything that worked on the SP, if there are other traders out there that can better those numbers I would be pleased to hear about them.
I didnt post them up to be cocky about them! Because I dont know if they are good or not! lol
By the way those numbers were with commisions paid.
Regards

Keith

Dax beater

Interesting what you say about the SPs. I've found them much harder than the Dax to trade too, Eurostox is also quite tricky.

Hi Dax Beater,
are you still running your stochastic systems ok, just wondered how they have faired this past year
Jim

stochastics

Dax Beater said:
Hi Cd,
I have used stocs on intraday charts for some time, if you want to e-mail me I will discuss it at greater length with you.

hello dax,

ive not been trading too long and ive been looking at stochastics but was always un sure of the settings.can you point me in the right direction?

hi xgcsmith

Well the settings come down to what sort of time frame you wish to use, how you wish to use the stochastic (ie crossover, divergence etc) and the no of trades you are trying to generate.
There are no general settings as such, but 14,3,3 tends to be a bog standard setting that online historical charts may adopt.
A word of warning though.......I'd advise you to incorporate price action into your strategy and not relay on the stochastic alone to signal entry as you'll end up getting whipped about.
In addition, don't try and optimise the settings. You're better off sticking to one or two settings and learning it's quirks with price action.
Having said that, for me it's the only indicator I've found to be of any use!

Cheers
C

Hi Neil, hope you're well.

are stochs trend following or picking tops and bottoms?

Well the answer is both, depending on how you use them.
If you look at Madasafish's post on this thread, you can use multiple time frames to depict the longer term trend along with the short. I use a similar system, so for trend following I look at direction of the short term within the long for bounces etc. For this I pay no attention to % just direction.
For tops and bottoms, when both lines are at the top or bottom of %range then very likely to determine tops and bottoms for the short term. This can be greatly improved upon with the use of candlesticks (hammers, topping tails, hanging man etc).

Hope this helps
Cheers
Chris

Lane's Stochastics

Lane’s Stochastics indicates entry signals based on reactions of professional traders on the close.

_ The correct Lane configuration is to use 5 periods for %K.
_ Plot it with a 3 period exponential moving average of %K for %D
_ Plot it with a 3 period exponential moving average of %D for SlowD
_ Show all three lines over price.

Lane’s Stochastics is a leading indicator best used as an entry signal. Interpretation depends on %D strength compared to Price. Extreme levels reflect professional traders reactions to expected changes in trends.

Originally developed on intraday charts with the above parameters. Works great in all time frames.
cd173 said:
Can anyone tell me if they use Stochastic indicators for buy and sell signals on an intraday chart.

Does anyone use this technique and can it be used on all time frames?