Starting a trading journal based on my understanding of Wyckoff's work

Thanks for the comments DB, I hadn't paid much attention to areas of equilibrium and their relationships with the length of the advance/decline after price leaves it. Will go back and do a hindsight analysis on those areas. Since the danger point is so close in those areas I actually find them attractive places to enter. What I can't properly do is understand the flow and balance in those areas.

See pp 9-19, "Demand/Supply" in Db's Burrow, particularly the material on accumulation. See also pp 118-124, "Equilibrium", in Notes as well as the material on "Auction Market Theory" in the SLAB, pp 50-63.

In your opinion, is it better to enter only on equilibrium areas that are about to move, rather than combine those entries with retracements? W mentions pyramiding and selling on bulges in Section 7 during the bear market, are those applicable only in the early parts of the bull/bear cycle?

Knowing that something is "about to move" requires a level of sophistication that I don't have. To a large extent, detecting this requires a thorough understanding of volume, including what volume is and what it represents, and if I haven't covered this sufficiently in my book, there's always "Section 14" in Wyckoff's course as well as "Section 7" in his course ("Appendix D" in my book). But even W acknowledges that one can be misled by the activity within a range and that breakouts are often false, which is why trading the retracement - if there is one - after the breakout is preferable to being trapped in a false breakout. There is also the matter of the equilibrium state converting itself into an accumulative base, which can go on for far longer than one would expect from a simple pause to reach equilibrium. Waiting for a BO and RET avoids a lot of waiting.

As for pyramiding, see "Appendix E", the SLAB, Footnote 1, p 100, for one suggestion on how to work your way through this. Focusing on demand/supply lines and last swing highs/lows can also be helpful since breaks of D/S lines warn of trouble, or at least change, while last swing highs/lows tell you where major money stepped up the last time to support price movement or resist it.

You're right, I find that when I'm just observing price action vs when I'm actively looking for an entry things are much clearer. Will focus on that right now.

Most if not all inexperienced traders find analysis boring, perhaps because they don't see the point of it, the point of it being, of course, to determine whether or not to enter at all. Analysis in and of itself is worthwhile, even if the results of that analysis are that one should continue to wait patiently for his moment. And the more practice one has in analysis, the easier and faster it becomes, so that when a quick, on-the-run analysis becomes necessary, the trader is in a position to do it. Observing price action without purpose doesn't accomplish much, except perhaps to drive home the fact that price movement is continuous. In the "Developing A Plan" section of the SLAB, I offer some suggestions on what to look for while one is observing:

Developing a system begins with deciding just what it is you're looking for. Therefore, begin by studying price movement in real time (or at the end of the day through "replay", if your charting program offers it). By "study", I mean to observe it with intent, not just read about it or listen to somebody talk about it. You have to understand what you're looking at before you know what to look for (see p. 2, Notes). Note the conditions under which price rises, falls, drifts. Make every effort to avoid imposing your biases onto what you observe. You may see trading as a war, a competition, a game, or a puzzle. You may think you're out to kill some-body, outwit somebody, or are out only to detect the flow and slip into it, riding the waves as if you were sailing. None of this should be allowed to affect what you observe.

Pretend that you are watching a team sport in which you know nothing about the rules and couldn't care less about the players, much less about who wins. But you do want to understand what's going on, out of curiosity if nothing else. Your chief
thought is not when you should jump onto the field and begin playing. Your chief thought centers around the following questions, primarily What the Hell Are These People Doing? So you observe.

What are they doing?

Where are they doing it?

Why are they doing it? Why are they doing it where they're doing it and when they're doing it?

How are they doing it?

What do they want to accomplish? What were they doing before?

If one observes the game long enough, he begins to discern the rules and will enter a phase where he pretty much understands what's going on but still has no interest in which team wins.

And if the teams are buyers and sellers . . .

Remember that Wyckoff, when not trading intraday, looks at all this from the standpoint of major money. The moves of major money are predictable to the extent that one understands what it is they're trying to accomplish, e.g., through the process of accumulation. Therefore one is more likely to profit if he trades with major money (see "Please Sir", "What Am I Bid", and "Trading Opportunities" in Notes). This means, in part, looking for opportunities at the bottoms of corrections, whether relatively minor, such as VEEV at the end of June, or more major, such as VEEV at the end of December, along with all the major market averages. The major corrections offer examples of his "climax/test" scenario, which exists today just as it did a hundred years ago (note all the tests in early January). Wyckoff looks for and waits for these opportunities because he understands that it is major money that not only halts the decline but orchestrates the reversal. And the money is to be made by trading with major money, not by fighting against it.

Entering on relatively trivial RETs is fine as long as one understands and is willing to accept the risks. But unless major money is buying that RET, the odds of being stopped out are just as good as those of being propelled into higher highs. This is not to suggest that they not be taken. If one is a momentum trader and price is in serious momentum mode, there may be no other choice. However, the risks should be thoroughly understood (the Danger Points exactly located) and accepted. This ensures an emotionless trade.

Db

Last edited:
For anyone who's following along, C=climax, T=test. The objective is not to enter during the climax as one has to way of knowing in real time whether it is THE climax or not. There may be further downside. And often is. But a bell should ring. A light should flash. And the trader should pay closer attention and be on the alert, waiting for signs of a reversal and, eventually, a test.

Attachments

• 1564500814324.png
    1564500814324.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 424
For the notebook, an example of a base breakout in VEEV, with retracement/test. Granted it's three years old, but this stuff occurs every day.

Thanks DB!

Will re-read those sections of the book.

In the meantime, as the current trade has gone against me and has invalidated the previous analysis, and reason, for me to enter the trade, we are closing our position at a loss.

Will make some annotations on the chart and post for further comments after reviewing the material.

36ckTu9R

Regarding the line graph, is it better to use an average of the high/low/close or go purely with the close? They can differ quite a bit sometimes and my thinking is that HLC is more accurate since it represents more of the total price action rather than the close which is a snapshot in time.

Last edited:
I don't use a line graph for myself. I use it only when I'm discussing charts and want to focus on price movement rather than bars or candles. This is particularly useful when trying to perceive the waves. When one is near or at the point of entering a trade, the HLC information in a bar for each day can be useful, particularly with climactic moves.

I prefer an average of the HLC if the program provides it, but some people prefer the close. I don't know that it matters, particularly if one is beginning - as one should - with a weekly chart.

Db

I've made an analysis of the first trading range of VEEV on the weekly. Comments are based on my following the action bar-by-bar, as if I were observing in real-time, not analyzing bar-by-bar action ala VSA. I've tried to detail each area where the bulls showed they started taking control, attempts of the bears to take it back, etc.

aGTwIuqI

Hey DB. When you talk about the actions and thoughts of those who consider price without looking at the charts, are you talking about the higher timeframe traders, aka "the money"?

Here's some further analysis on the next area on the weekly where VEEV reversed, I've tried to see "feel" the pressure of supply and demand based on the price areas, spread, and activity, and also see the supply and demand lines not as lines but as real-time areas where price turns around, therefore signalling the "intent" of both sides. Also, I've tried separating the intent of the shorter and longer timeframe traders based on what price does when volume is significantly higher.

drT5WXuD

Hey DB. When you talk about the actions and thoughts of those who consider price without looking at the charts, are you talking about the higher timeframe traders, aka "the money"?

Lots of people don't use charts. They don't care about the information charts provide. They know what they paid and where price is in relation to that, and that's all they want to know. The daily ups and downs are of no interest to them.

Annotating DB's Sextych. Last two screens are left un-annotated since they just confirm the previous analysis, except the last one shows that price has started ranging after the technical rally.

sextych1.gif

Tracking nickel futures. Weekly followed by daily. Currently at previous resistance but price is not being pushed back so we could be seeing a move to the upside in the near future.
qGyi5Zz1

HLif4bpo

Crude Palm Oil futures. Similar to Nickel, we seem to be at resistance but price is not falling so our hypothesis is on-going absorption. Weekly followed by daily
ku74oQCd

eFXxyPr0

Philippine index. Weekly followed by daily. Looking at a reaction due to heavy selling at the top and price currently hesitating at previous high.
20200706-230915-RfJx7Pyf.jpg

20200706-231047-40hnJtvB.jpg

Which brings us to Cebu land masters. Weekly shows a distribution, followed by a massive drop into an oversold condition and now a quick bounce to the previous distribution area. Not enough accumulation has happened to push price beyond this point and the advance also signals an overbought condition. Expecting a significant reaction.
20200706-231322-Qdpuo1fq.jpg

20200706-231548-BboyonVS.jpg

This week shows massive volume at the previous resistance area, combined with the overbought state, make this a ripe area for a short following the expectation of a significant reaction.
20200709-122257-OgVAuiNP.jpg

The daily shows climactic volume a few days ago, and price has started to reverse.
20200709-122607-HXjJSxtN.jpg

30 minute shows the buying wave has started to turn, so we put a sell stop at 5.08, 1 cent below the current price of 5.09, and the stop loss at 5.16.
20200709-123039-paSHFSxQ.jpg

TRADE triggered. We are now short at 5.08 and the market declined to 5.00 and is now rallying, currently at 5.04. A normal reaction would around 5.07 so now we watch to see where this rally will take us. We won't move our stop until we see a clear indication of a resistance point.
30 minute:
20200711-112747-jInMcaqs.jpg

Daily:
20200711-113221-WgtS8WWt.jpg

UPDATE:
The index has now turned bullish and seems to be accumulating at the bottom:
20200720-125230-QjQsQkMp.jpg

The daily chart has also shown signs of bullishness given the reduced volume at the bottom and rising support.
20200720-125348-nkAVqma7.jpg

This is clearly seen in the 30 minute chart:
20200720-125630-IahLLB2P.jpg

We therefore close our short opened at 5.08 and go long at 4.98 with a stop at 4.81.
Profit 1.9%, or $198 on 50,000 shares.

Last edited: