SpywareBlaster 3.0

good morning oatman,

could you please (or anyone else) tell me if one needs a program like this one when already using a firewall?

Hi nicos,
A firewall will keep out hackers etc but when you visit certain websites, they leave tracking cookies and other junk to follow you on the internet for advertising and marketing purposes.
Too much of this junk will eventually slow you down. Some sites may attempt to hijack your browser to take you to their websites.
Download update and run these 2
Ad-aware http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adaware.html
Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download
These 2 will safely clean out anything you've picked up.
In Ad-aware it's safe to fix everything it finds. In Spybot only fix those prechecked in red. They will quarantine what they find.
If you've never used programmes like these before you may be surprised what they find.
SpywareBlaster will stop a lot of this junk getting on in the first place.
These are all free :cheesy:

many thanks oatman, I will follow your advice. I take it it's also useful to have SpywareBlaster too?

The point is that no single programme will be 100%.
Personally, I run SpywareBlaster, Spywareguard and WinPatrol
http://www.winpatrol.com/
Sygate for a firewall and AVG antivirus.
Also I scan regularly with Ad-aware and Spybot.
Additionally I perform a variety of online antivirus scans from time to time with Trendmicro, Panda and RAV.
If you're online all day you need good protection.
I've only been caught twice :eek: Once after a clean install, I went online without a firewall :rolleyes: and instantly copped MsBlast. The other time I picked up a minor trojan. I must have clicked on something without realising.
It doesn't matter how much protection you've got if you're not careful.
It's important to make sure you keep everything updated.
All these are free :cheesy:

what can I say, oatman.. here's another "thank you"! I also want to take this opportunity to thank rossored for his good work on the subject

You're welcome.
As a matter of interest, what did Ad-aware and Spybot turn up?

Just to add a little bit to this thread.

Running the programs mentioned is definitely a good idea. But running these programs is a remedy, whereas you should be looking towards prevention.

In almost all cases you could've prevented the nasty things (that the spyware/adware removal tool finds) from getting onto your computer by following a few simple rules.

1. Stop and think before you install any program. Do you trust the creator ? Virus scan it before installing if you're not sure. Go to google and type in the name of the program and spyware, see if there have been complaints before. Many 'reputable' companies will piggyback spyware on the back of their software. Never run anything you receive by email from an untrusted source, even if they are trusted they may not realise what they send contains a virus of spyware.

2. Keep your software up to date. Run windows update regularly and it will keep your Operating System and Internet Explorer up to date. The only possible drawback to this is that an update may be incompatible with your existing 3rd party software. This incompatibility is very rare and most people pick the lesser of two evils and keep their software as up to date as possible.

3. Turn browser acceptance of Cookies off, if a site needs them you can grant it permission. Cookies in themselves aren't harmful they're just text. However the main reasons people dislike them are people can use them to track your website viewnig habits, a possible breach of your privacy. The other reason is that depending upon which sites you visit (I'm guilty) you may find cookies along the lines of 'sextracker.com' stored on your computer, some people don't want to leave files like that lying around.

4.Ensure you have a good firewall and up to date antivirus.

If these rules are new to you, follow them and you're in better shape than you were before :).

Many thanks Tun. Oatman I have PMed you. Sorry for the late response. Have a good Easter.

I have picked up Trojan horse PSW. Tofger. BE virus. When I try to move it to viruswall I get the message that it can not be removed. The name of file is C:\windows\CMD32.DLL.

Please help what should I do now. Thanks for help. This was picked up by AVG

People got this one viewing the ss furer post on Sunday.
There should be some help there if you can trawl through it.

Oaty, I have tried spywarebalster before but even though it was loaded and running when I ran adaware it still found spyware even the computer was clean before the install of spyblaster - have I missed something or do something wrong?

Any advice appreciated.

There's so much crap out there that you can't catch everything.
You got to have layers of security. Run Spywareguard as well from the same page.
Ad-aware updated 3 times yesterday.
I just ran Pestscan which found CWSHijacker and 2 tracking cookies. If you buy Pestscan they can remove them for you :LOL:
I ran Ad-aware and Spybot and neither believes the 2 Pestscan find to be spyware.
The CWSHijacker is in Restricted Sites, so I'm clean :cheesy:
They'll tell you anything to sell you a programme.
I put my faith in Ad-aware and Spybot. They're both free programmes from people dedicated to countering ad and spyware.
It's war ;)

cheers Oatman....also running Adaware & about to load Spybot (on a reccommend from other thread), had same discussion with Eminem re: Spywareblaster, good to see/hear the freebie stuff is ok tho!!

Ok, thanks oaty. I must admit I am trying different mediums to counter the threats and I think thats the best anyone can hope to do in an effort to beat the hackers/trackers, etc.

As an IT contractor working in various companies, iv recently come across a "legit" program called "Ghost Keylogger".

In this instance the program logged keyboard activity to an encrypted file then emailed the file to a collection url, no doubt for further processing!

This file was picked up thro the user downloading from a peer to peer site and was not picked up by any of the security measures in place at the time.

You can check out the site here so please beware

http://www.sureshotsoftware.com/keyloggerlite/faq.html#q1