Spread betting at FXCM

Tried it briefly. Didn’t wow me, nothing new, I just stick to the established UK firms like Accendo, IG etc.

Hi H2L,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to the question I posted back in 2009. Did you try our Trading Station platform back then or more recently? Was there any feature in particular you wanted to see that you couldn't find on the platform?

Thanks again for your feedback :)

Jason

Update for Trading Station Mobile

We recently released an update to the Trading Station Mobile platform for smartphones and tablets. To confirm that you have the latest version (1.8.111513) look at the version number at bottom of the login screen. You can download the latest version of the app in the Google Play and Apple Stores.

wvok.png

You will also notice that there is now an option to view live currency and CFD rates directly from this screen without having to log into your account. Below are some of the other new features that have been added with this update:

zm8p.png

A. Share button to post your charts on social media such as Facebook and Twitter
B. New indicators including Donchian Channels (shown), OB/OS Oscillator, BB Percentage and BB Averages
C. Option to change chart background from black to white

7njw.png

Video news updates from DailyFX analysts

Holiday Hours for Christmas and New Years

Below are the trading and customer service hours for Christmas and New Years (all times in GMT)

Customer Service and Forex Trading Hours

s1fr.png

CFD Trading Hours

tbga.png

xwoc.png

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jason

Hi Everyone,

I'll be out of the office for the next two weeks and will respond to any questions you post after I return on Monday, January 6th. If you need immediate assistance, please contact our 24-hour live customer support. Our holiday hours are in my previous post.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jason

Holiday Trading Hours for January

Below are the holiday trading hours for energy, metals and stock indices in January. Forex trading hours remain as normal. All times below are in GMT.

240.jpg

FAQ for MT4 Build 600

FXCM has recently received many inquiries from traders about MetaQuotes' latest update to the MT4 platform (Build 600). In the following posts, I'll provide solutions from our tech support team for the most frequently asked questions.

* If you have additional questions about MT4, please free free to ask them here, and I'll post the responses I receive from our tech support team.

Additional EAs, Indicators and Scripts for MT4 at FXCMapps.com

Last edited:
Where can I find my EAs, indicators, etc. on MT4 Build 600?

The latest version of FXCM MetaTrader 4 now saves your expert advisors, indicators, profiles, etc. in a different location on your computer. If you do not see your EAs and indicators in the navigator folder, your MT4 files are most likely still saved in the old folder location and are not recognized by the new version build of MT4.

Please follow the instructions below to move your files to the correct directory on build 600 of MT4.

1. First, find where you have your MT4 files saved currently. Below are the file types and location where these files may be currently saved on your computer. You may also want to check your desktop or downloads folders to see if you have copies of these files saved there.

ib4w.png

2. Open MT4 > click on File > Open data folder > then double click the MQL4 folder. This will show you where your experts, indicators, etc. should be saved on your computer. Unless you have UAC settings disabled the folder location will be C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\[32 character long MT4 ID]\MQL4

yrwn.png

3. Copy the files from the old location to the new location. For your EA's, for example, you will copy the contents of the C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4\experts folder to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\[32 character long MT4 ID]\MQL4\Experts

7o4f.png

Last edited:
How to Recompile EAs and Indicators on MT4 Build 600

MetaEditor has changed in MT4 build 600 and as a result some expert advisors and indicators may have to be recompiled. Please follow the steps below to recompile your experts and indicators.

1. Open MT4 > go to File > Open data folder > double click on the MQL4 folder

2. Double click on the name of the expert advisor or indicator to open the file in MetaEditor.

zh5t.png

3. If there are any errors when compiling the expert or indicator you will see those appear at the bottom of MetaEditor. You will need to address these errors before you are able to add the expert or indicator onto an MT4 chart.

b9ru.png

Backing up files on MT4 Build 600

Please follow the instructions below to save backups for your MT4 files (expert advisors, indicators, libraries, templates, and profiles). It's often a good idea to save a backup before uninstalling/reinstalling MT4, transferring files to another installation of MT4, etc.

1. Create a new folder where you would like for your backup files to be saved. To create a new folder right click > go to New > click on Folder.

eifs.png

2. Navigate to where your where your MT4 files are saved on your computer. Depending on the build of MT4 you are using they could be saved in a couple of different locations.

a. Build 509 and older: C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4\experts

b. Build 600: Open MT4 > go to File > Open data folder > then double click on the MQL4 folder. Depending on your settings this may go to either folder location below.

i. C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\MetaQuotes\Terminal\[32 character long MT4 ID]\MQL4\Experts

ii. C:\Program Files (x86)\FXCM MetaTrader 4\MQL4

3. Copy the folders you would like to save and paste them into the new MT4 backup folder.

1c1y.png

Insufficient Permission to Uninstall MT4

If you receive an error message when you are trying to uninstall MT4 stating you do not have sufficient privileges you will need to edit a value in your computer's registry.

1. Press Start then type in "regedit" and press enter. This will bring up your computer's registry.

2. Press ctrl + F and type in "EnableLUA". (You can also find this by going through the menu tree on the right. You would need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System)

3. Double click on EnableLUA in the right side of the registry editor window.

d0io.png

4. Change the value data from 1 to 0 and press OK.

vuny.png

5. Close the registry editor window and restart your computer. After you have restarted your computer, you will be able to uninstall MT4 though the task manager.

This is such an irresponsible post!!

For those that do not understand what this is doing, it is switching/disabling Windows User Account Control (UAC). I strongly advise that you DO NOT follow these instructions, and instead, FXCM need to find a more appropriate and safer solution.

As a company, you can't just simply advise people to switch off UAC, especially without telling them what it is that they are doing! :mad:

Please advise, why won't the installer allow MT4 to be uninstalled when UAC is enabled?

J

If you receive an error message when you are trying to uninstall MT4 stating you do not have sufficient privileges you will need to edit a value in your computer's registry.

1. Press Start then type in "regedit" and press enter. This will bring up your computer's registry.

2. Press ctrl + F and type in "EnableLUA". (You can also find this by going through the menu tree on the right. You would need to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > System)

3. Double click on EnableLUA in the right side of the registry editor window.

d0io.png

4. Change the value data from 1 to 0 and press OK.

vuny.png

5. Close the registry editor window and restart your computer. After you have restarted your computer, you will be able to uninstall MT4 though the task manager.

Please advise, why won't the installer allow MT4 to be uninstalled when UAC is enabled?

I followed up with our tech team to get clarification on this. There seems to be an issue with MetaQuotes' uninstaller that affects some users in that they receive a message saying they don't have admin rights to uninstall, even when they should have admin rights.

The user acct control is the single most annoying piece of code written. Because microsoft can't figure out how to write an operating system or browser that doesn't look and act like the swiss cheese of computer security they dump it on the users. I don't know about windows 7 or 8 but there's some sort of issue with the user acct control in Vista. Metaquotes doesn't get a pass either. These new changes have made a complete mess of the whole thing. Endless headaches and more. NONE OF THIS IS ANY FAULT OF THE BROKERS WHO ALLOW CLIENTS TO USE THE MT4 PLATFORM.

Peter

Last edited:
I followed up with our tech team to get clarification on this. There seems to be an issue with MetaQuotes' uninstaller that affects some users in that they receive a message saying they don't have admin rights to uninstall, even when they should have admin rights.

Can you explain why this is only a problem with FXCM? I can find no reports of it affecting any other broker, and I myself have MT4 installed from two other brokers, and they both work fine and install/uninstall with UAC enabled.

Can you explain why this is only a problem with FXCM? I can find no reports of it affecting any other broker, and I myself have MT4 installed from two other brokers, and they both work fine and install/uninstall with UAC enabled.

There seems to be some confusion here. As I mentioned previously, this problem uninstalling MT4 only affects some users. The tech issue is not broker specific. Just as you had no problems uninstalling MT4 with UAC enabled, the majority of MT4 users with FXCM have no problems uninstalling the platform.

There seems to be some confusion here. As I mentioned previously, this problem uninstalling MT4 only affects some users. The tech issue is not broker specific. Just as you had no problems uninstalling MT4 with UAC enabled, the majority of MT4 users with FXCM have no problems uninstalling the platform.

There is no confusion here.

Firstly, the issue only affects FXCM users - I am not able to find in the public domain any reports from users where the problem exists with other brokers.

Secondly, I suspect that the problem affects all users that have UAC enabled AND are trying to uninstall the FXCM version of MT4 that was installed with that version of the installer. That is realistically, probably a minority of people since, a) many people have been switched off UAC, and b) once MT4 is installed, it is rare that it is needed to be completely uninstalled, especially if it is used for managing live accounts. You'll probably find that there are also many people that simply can't be bothered to try to properly resolve it.

Either way, it looks to me that rather than take responsibility for the problem and say "yes, we recognise this as a problem and we will try to resolve it", or even, "yes, we know this is a problem but at the moment there is nothing we can do about it", you are simply trying to push the blame onto Metaquotes, or, to simply say "it doesn't affect all users, so it can't be our fault, so we are not going to do anything about it".

It is worth stating, in case you hadn't gathered, that I am one of the users that is affected by this problem, I am still unable to uninstall the FXCM installation of MT4, and I am still waiting for a satisfactory explanation and solution...

J

How do you explain this:

Source (www.ft.com)
FCA fines FXCM £4m for keeping clients' profits
28 minutes ago
Are UK regulators getting serious about protecting people who may be getting ripped off in over-the-counter foreign exchange dealings?

Judging by the size of Wednesday's fine against FXCM, a relatively well-known operator in the market, the scrutiny is ramping up.

The Financial Conduct Authority, the UK's main markets watchdog, has levied a £4m fine on FXCM for withholding as much as £6m in profits that should have been passed on to its customers.

FXCM placed over the counter foreign exchange trades known as rolling spot forex contracts on behalf of retail clients, which were then executed by another part of the FXCM Group, the FCA said.

Over a near four-year period between 2006 and 2010, the company kept the profits from favourable market movements between the time of order and the time of execution between the two units, while any losses were passed on to clients in full – a practice known as "asymmetric price slippage", the regulator said.

Said Tracey McDermott, the FCA's director of enforcement:

Not only did FXCM UK fail to treat its customers fairly or correctly apply our rules, I am particularly disappointed that it was not transparent in its dealings with the FCA.

We expect all firms to put customers at the heart of their business, and we have taken action to ensure clients of FXCM UK will get redress.
As part of the penalty, FXCM will have to repay customers as much as $9.8m owed. The FCA will reclaim what's left after 15 months.

Last edited:
How do you explain this

Hi Evertontrader,

Our system was updated in 2010 to pass all potential price improvements to clients, and our clients have received the benefit of price improvements since that time. In our official statement, we mentioned that over the past 6 months alone FXCM clients have benefited from over $15 million in price improvements.

Like the NFA action discussed in 2011, this has to do with positive slippage not being passed on in full when transactions were offset with liquidity providers prior to the 2010 update.

It's important to note that FXCM is currently one of the only firms in the industry to give price improvements on market and limit orders. I have mentioned over the past couple of years how many traders with other brokers currently experience re-quotes if the market moves in their favor, but often don't receive re-quotes for the better price when the market moves against them. Earlier this month in their newsletter, the FCA announced a thematic review of best execution, which we welcome to introduce best execution standards across the industry that benefit traders in the same way our traders have benefited for years.

Taking a look at FXCM price improvements today…

Analyzing a total of 43,128,901 forex and metal trades executed by FXCM during the six month period of August 2013 -January 2014, 6,391,641 or 15% of the trades benefitted from price improvements totaling $15,726,247. Of the total number of trades executed, 4,648,672 trades were limit and limit entry orders. Sixty percent of those limit and limit entry orders were positively slipped providing clients $7,296,520 in price improvements. Of the total trades executed in the six month period of August 2013 - January 2014 clients were executed at their requested price 73% of the time with no slippage. Only 12% of orders were slipped negatively. As mentioned before, FXCM is currently one of the only firms in the industry to give price improvements on market and limit orders.

At FXCM, there are no re-quotes and traders benefit from the positive slippage in full whenever it's available.