Sometimes I wonder.....

......I mock thee not, it's just that if you're into the high purpleness of Socratic esoterica like we are made of stardust and are all one living integrated being, the markets are a living pulsating, holistic, organic life form etc., well it just sort of helps to be err......high :innocent:

There are times when I do wonder whether my stops are being monitored and taken out.

I've gone for hours watching the screen with no stop in place but, when I have to do something else and put one on, it gets triggered. I just had one on Footsie at 5543.

I am too small a fish to have my account monitored (I think :idea:), but I sympathise with the "no stop" idea although manual exiting usually loses me more on the trade.

Your broker knows where your stops are for sure.

Let's say you take a 2 lot short position. Your broker tells a hedge fund guy that your stop is there. It's 6 ticks away from market. The hedge fund guy then starts gunning for your stops. He moves the market towards your stop to take you out. Now - it may surpise you that it takes slightly more than 2 contracts to do this.

The problem is therefore either:
- Your stops are too tight, you aren't giving yourself enough breathing room

OR

- Your stops are where everybody else's stops are - where it's worth gunning for that area

It certainly isn't personal. Your BSDick isn't big enough.

No offence.

...it's just that if you're into the high purpleness of Socratic esoterica like we are made of stardust ...

I believe that part about stardust is very well established now - trippy, yeah, but true

Last edited:
......I mock thee not, it's just that if you're into the high purpleness of Socratic esoterica like we are made of stardust and are all one living integrated being, the markets are a living pulsating, holistic, organic life form etc., well it just sort of helps to be err......high :innocent:

You decided that in advance, didn't you ?

I am inclined to the view that the market decides the level of the index etc. Some big long orders comes in and up goes the price. The price has shot up for instance , so some contrarian investors are drawn in.
However if the session is flat that is no good for the market makers. So they push the price up a bit and if nothing much happens they push the price down a bit. They work on commissions as far as I understand it and therefore need movement.
To the individual traders it may well look like they are gunning for stops. But its not really so. They need movement not stagnation. If it takes out some stops then all the better. No one MM can do much to influence the market. The rumour mongers try but have little success imho

Well, I think that they know when I go for lunch. I try to close manually, normally, because I like to see a bar finish. That helps me to take care of spikes, although I have a scare, sometimes, when they are slow in coming back.

Anyway, you guys, I was just wondering why they are so exactly on my stop.

:cheers:

Well, I think that they know when I go for lunch. I try to close manually, normally, because I like to see a bar finish. That helps me to take care of spikes, although I have a scare, sometimes, when they are slow in coming back.

Anyway, you guys, I was just wondering why they are so exactly on my stop.

:cheers:

Ah, split, I know a chap who knows a fella who knows a trader who says he knows someone who works on fin's trading floor. At the appointed time - yes, they know when you get hungry - their Bloomberg screen goes blank then announces "stand by for split's stop" when all eyes go fixed to the screen and fingers hover. Then in flashing lights - 5543.2 - there's a shout and the hovering fingers flicker into life 'cos the first trader who can manoeuvre the price to match win's the daily split pool.

Evidently they get really pi$$ed off on the days you close manually, but beware - they've dreamed up a new "how far can we slip him" pool :)

jon

Jon, thanks for the tip. We'll have to get our heads together on this, since you know someone who knows someone who knows someone. Is it golf that does it? It's general knowledge that I knock off for lunch and go to work, but most times I close out. That must give them a headache. Maybe, I could change my work schedule. The thing is that Friday was a public holiday, here, so I was home. That might have something to do with it, too.

Think of it this way, with every losing trade you get, your next winning trade is just round the corner.