So, you think you know spread betting huh?...

CoolerKing

So you think you know spread betting huh?

I suppose you probably had a bit of extra income and decided to open up an IG Index account and just trade the minimum. No big deal. The slick video on the front page made it look so easy.

Sure there is a disclaimer warning you of the pitfalls but how could you pay any attention to that whilst envisaging the buckets of money you are about to make.

Let's say you open up an account on Tue 15 May and you deposit £100 and begin to make small trades based on political developments. The indices mainly - like all good bettors you stick to what you know. 10p a point.

By the end of the day you are in profit over 34%. Well hell, this is easy! We are in a bear market, the collapse of the Eurozone is inevitable and stocks can only plunge further. Short at the right time and dip in and out collecting £10-20 a trade.

But...

If I had 10 times more money to play with I would have 10 times more profit. Not £30 but £300! £300 is like a weekly wage! And tax-free! So you increase your deposit and take some medium positions which ultimately go as you predicted and within 24 hours you have leveraged your £1000 in £2215. No problems. :cheesy: The confidence begins to grip you however and your strategy and discipline quickly erode as the possibility of profits overwhelms your rational brain.

What's that? Facebook IPO? Tomorrow. Well, that is simply muppets bait. A mugs game. Plus, no one is as smart as me. They will prob buy the stock.

For this one trade. This one, no other I am going to put it all in there. It's a no lose proposition. The stock will clearly bubble. The hype is crazy, people are going nuts for this.

The suckers.

Then I will short it on the collapse from $75 and double my profit. Actually this is a no brainer so I will prob just put the rest of my 10k savings into IG Index and use that as leverage.

Groupon - bubbled. LinkedIN - bubbled. Zynga? Well that was just an exception. This stock is going to go stratospheric.

Here we go. The stock is delayed. Market is ready to burst and we are off to the races...what...my internet connection? I don't know - broadband I think. Is it fast? Why does that matter...oh damn, it has leapt to $45 I need to get in there quick!!

£100 a point!! Denied.

OK - then £20 that will still double my 10K. Ticket Issued. Yes.

...wait.

..........what?

Why is this stock collapsing?

Why is my account turning red?

Is that my 10,000 pounds disappearing??????

I was so smart. The market was so stupid. Sh*t!! How do I stop this? You are probably so paralysed you forget to even click sell.

You probably have you iPhone set up to receive emails and now it beeps once, twice, three times....you bury your head in your hands.

It's a margin call. They will close your position down £13,000.

You feel like vomiting. It's not like you bet with your college tutition or car payments or money you could have spent on your family. Right?

Wait, the column has changed from -3k to 5k up. They scaled your bet back to £8 instead of £20 and you now have £3k to play with. You watch the shares climb to $41.8 praying for a miracle. They drop again.

At $40 dollars you have the sense to close your position completely. You have 3k of 12 originally. You short the stock and it falls another 2 dollars giving you 1.5k back.

The market closes and you realise you have blown what your father considers a year's worth of wages. You think about your gf and your daughter and what that money could have purchased.

Oh sure, you probably saw the headlines in your mind...from 10k to 100k in a weekend. Spread Betting. For smart people. Like me.

A bit of research reveals that the underwriters put an artificial ceiling at $38 and Facebook cannot go lower than that till Monday. If even then. You begin to despise the market and it's puppeteers. If they let market forces take effect then you would be black in the black.

Your gf supports you, tells you it will be OK. She asks if you are going to leave it shorted until the shares descend or risk a market revival and lose it all completely.

Well are you?

Your smart right - the same thing cannot happen twice. FB shares must be worth $20-24 at best. At best.

Leave it short and get your original stake back or cash out a loser?

Time to watch Rogue Trader again...

This is a true story. I posted it to show how despite all of the advice and literature regarding spread betting the process can quickly overwhelm someone new. The excitement and the possibility of quick profits can easily override the sanest of individuals.

Have I learned my lesson? I would love to say yes. That I plan to use my 3k to place small <5% trades and rebuild my capital base. Unfortunately I have bills to pay. I am prob going to leave my 4.5k on a position of £12 SELL of FB shares hoping they break the $38 ceiling over the next 7 days. At present I would be happy just to regain 75% of my capital and close out.

Will I still Spread Bet? Yes. I will stick to what I know and have experience in - the impact of political statements on financial markets (FX, Indices and Bonds).

Here's hoping.

Steve

Let's say you open up an account on Tue 15 May and you deposit £100 and begin to make small trades based on political developments. The indices mainly - like all good bettors you stick to what you know. 10p a point.

By the end of the day you are in profit over 34%.

Thanks for sharing.

Can I just confirm, if you were trading 10p a point, then did you manage to get over 300points a day trading indices to achieve over 34% profit? What indices were you trading?

Thanks

Thanks for sharing.

Can I just confirm, if you were trading 10p a point, then did you manage to get over 300points a day trading indices to achieve over 34% profit? What indices were you trading?

Thanks

I did yes but those sorts of shorts will only take place in highly volatile markets due to Eurozone developments. Forgetting mathematical systems, in this climate the major indices can only fall as production is scaled back, currency volatility exists and the sovereign debt crisis persists.

Too many blue chips are exposed and wealth will continue to leave the indexes and move into safer investments or defensive stocks.

FTSE 100 / 250
Ibex 35
MiB 40
S&P 500

Timing the trades between political announcements.

Last edited:
Sad story, but...

No, I completely agree. I was in over my head with funds I couldn't afford betting on impulse. I wiped out my profits with a single trade in a market I knew little about.

I def learned a few lessons about me, my strengths and my weaknesses.

From my experience a big loss is not as bad as making a bigger mistake trying to recover the loss quickly.

It's often difficult to accept a big loss and one should be careful to avoid getting any deeper - good to take a break and assess the situation in a calm and realistic way before any further spread betting (if any at all).

I understand what you are saying.

I do. I don't leave my remaining money in an open position lightly. I take confidence from the fact the underwriters had to artificially support the stock and many analysts have already placed sell orders on their remaining stock. New valuations are putting FB at $32 or lower with a 4 week price of $25.

Are you guys shorting FB?

With all the hype around the Facebook I was close to getting in on the action. Last year, my first year in spreadbetting I would have opened a position on it. Simply to be involved in the action, in the hype. It was all over the news, everyone's going to be rich, blah blah blah. This year, a little wiser than before, I spent time looking over the chart, factoring the stop loss i'd need into my system, checking it against my diversification rules and eventually decided to walk away. Despite not placing a trade I felt pretty good about it. If only because it meant I have improved in what I do.

I can relate to your story f'sure. The emotions you go through are all the same as I and I expect many others have felt at some point. My advice (if you'll take it from a novice) is to log it all down and learn from it.

Good luck going forward.

With all the hype around the Facebook I was close to getting in on the action. Last year, my first year in spreadbetting I would have opened a position on it. Simply to be involved in the action, in the hype. It was all over the news, everyone's going to be rich, blah blah blah. This year, a little wiser than before, I spent time looking over the chart, factoring the stop loss i'd need into my system, checking it against my diversification rules and eventually decided to walk away. Despite not placing a trade I felt pretty good about it. If only because it meant I have improved in what I do.

I can relate to your story f'sure. The emotions you go through are all the same as I and I expect many others have felt at some point. My advice (if you'll take it from a novice) is to log it all down and learn from it.

Good luck going forward.

Well done for keeping a level head, resisting temptation and walking away !

10/10

Good luck going forward.

Thanks. I appreciate the support.

I suppose part of me putting my story out there was to see how people would react but also to face up to my mistake and learn from it.

Told my dad and my gf who took it really well. They were supportive which helped.

The strange thing is, I fully expected the stock to plummet, I read the analyses - the p/e ratio, the comparisons with alternatives, the bubble being priced into the IPO amount...but I still thought it would go up.

I suppose I just did not give the market the credit it deserves. >>> People like yourself who were wary and level headed :)

I understand what you are saying.

I do. I don't leave my remaining money in an open position lightly. I take confidence from the fact the underwriters had to artificially support the stock and many analysts have already placed sell orders on their remaining stock. New valuations are putting FB at $32 or lower with a 4 week price of $25.

Are you guys shorting FB?

In this case I think you're playing with fire by assuming price movements will be logical. 50/50 chance of a gap up or down tomorrow, so keeping a position open can't be sensible. Eventually FB probably will be worth a fraction of its present value, but in the short term anything could happen, so there's a real danger you'll run out of margin long before you're proved right.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

His scenario is so easy. What makes one want to cry is that those profits are achievable with low stakes but what is heartbreaking is the crash that can come after the fat account has been scratched together so painstakingly.

In this case I think you're playing with fire by assuming price movements will be logical. 50/50 chance of a gap up or down tomorrow, so keeping a position open can't be sensible. Eventually FB probably will be worth a fraction of its present value, but in the short term anything could happen, so there's a real danger you'll run out of margin long before you're proved right.

I cannot close the position until Monday at NASDAQ opening bell. At that point I will reduce my margin considerably but still short it.

Bloomberg is reporting that it costs $2 billion to support the stock price on Friday and they cannot do that again Monday...

His scenario is so easy. What makes one want to cry is that those profits are achievable with low stakes but what is heartbreaking is the crash that can come after the fat account has been scratched together so painstakingly.

Volatility in the markets in Europe will lead to decline until the results of the Greek elections are known.

My sort of profits are achievable in turbulent times which are rare. I am just taking advantage of the uncertainty. Once the indices stabilise at their normal rate mathematical trading will come back to the fore.

I cannot close the position until Monday at NASDAQ opening bell.

That's my point, really. I don't think you should have left it open... and the spread might initially be huge

Bloomberg is reporting that it costs $2 billion to support the stock price on Friday and they cannot do that again Monday...

The same people were saying it would open at $75 on Friday.

Good point. I will post the results on Monday at 15.05 GMT.

What happens if I place limit at $40? Will it jump the limit if the market opens above that?

youve learnt your lesson for peanuts......welcome to trading

N