Six Nations

MrGecko

A thread for all things rugby.

Q: When do you decide that Jonno isn't up to the job?

A thread for all things rugby.

Q: When do you decide that Jonno isn't up to the job?

After watching Ireland v France with Scotland v Wales to follow I have a horrible feeling we have seen our only win already and I can only hope that I am horribly wrong:eek::cry:

Sir Clive didn't set the world alight at the start.

I'd say after any Autumn games then would be the time to question

Wales did look very impressive during the first half of the game... the speed with which they not only move the ball down the line, but clear out the contact area and present quick ball will test all sides this season.

Wales got a no nonsense management team with Warren Gatland and Shaun Edwards. Wales ran in four tries and began its Six Nations rugby title defence with a solid 26-13 victory, if Wales kicked well, the score would have been close to 40 points. Secound half Wales got a little complacment though still under control. The have to be Favs to win the championship maybe another grand slam.......England will have to be on top form to have any chance of getting close to Wales next week, and Wales if playing home, ho dear

Wales got a no nonsense management team with Warren Gatland and Shaun Edwards. Wales ran in four tries and began its Six Nations rugby title defence with a solid 26-13 victory, if Wales kicked well, the score would have been close to 40 points. Secound half Wales got a little complacment though still under control. The have to be Favs to win the championship maybe another grand slam.......England will have to be on top form to have any chance of getting close to Wales next week, and Wales if playing home, ho dear

No chance... Wales by 20 points

England didn't win against Italy, Italy lost against England. Big, big difference. If the Italians hadn't made silly unforced errors, we'd have struggled to beat them. All of the other four nations look stronger than England on the basis of this weekend's performances. I fear that Jonno's going to have a few sleepless nights over the course of the competition. Not an encouraging start from England's perspective.
Tim.

At the moment I dont want to be negative or a doomsayer and would be prepared to see England lose the next run of games.This would be more acceptable if you could see an improvement with the core basics and better discipline.Some of the same problems seem to keep repeating themselves but as with a new squad you have to make allowances,hoping to see signs of a more fluid cohesion or progression as the games unfold.If this Six Nations goes pear at least Jonno has broader shoulders than most.

I'm with you sighthound... as a fan, the frustrating thing is that there is the potential for some good rugby there - if England ever manage to string enough phases together to get the ball out beyond 13, there is the talent to threaten defenses and break the tackle line.

However, we get to see none of this because delivery from the tackle area is so slow, and it remains slow because the pack don't ever seem to get into a rhythm. To compound the problem, whenever we have posession and get the opportunity to play through a series of phases, possession is kicked away.

Thus you get a frustraded, disjointed pack and the opportunity to bring in the 3qrtrs into the line off 2nd or 3rd phase ball has gone... and that is the only way I can see England threaten an opposition.

EDIT: The lack of leadership from the front doesn't help matters...

Last edited:
new squad you have to make allowances

new squad yes, but they're all seasoned enough professionals in their own right. There is no excuse for some of the silly ill-discipline, unforced errors - these guys play the game week in week out at top level already.

new squad yes, but they're all seasoned enough professionals in their own right. There is no excuse for some of the silly ill-discipline, unforced errors - these guys play the game week in week out at top level already.

That is a valid point and does begger belief at times and as MrGecko said is it as much leadership on the field as well as off.If this carries on through this tournament you would expect some serious butt kicking at some stage.

That is a valid point and does begger belief at times and as MrGecko said is it as much leadership on the field as well as off.If this carries on through this tournament you would expect some serious butt kicking at some stage.

Concur 100% with what's been said on this thread - how long will Jonno persist in keeping faith with Borthwick, how long will Sheridan fail to impress and grab game by scruff of neck, and when will Sackey be found out as lacking in grit , determination and ability to turn a match / set world alight?

very disappointedly believing Wales / ireland will be close contenders....at least the Lions squad looks potentially quite good provided no-one gets injured before then!:smart: