Rugby, one ball, two different codes, which do you prefer?

Which code of Rugby do you prefer?

• Rugby League

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Rugby Union

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Both codes of Rugby are equally enjoyable

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • I don't like either code of rugby

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
At the risk of general abuse from everyone, I have to say that Iain Balshaw is perhaps one of the most elusive runners I have ever seen; It is a shame that he is so prone to injury - while he was still at Bath (and probably just out of school), he was devestating with ball in hand from the 22; With a backline of Perry, JG, Evans, JC, Catt et al, you have to be something special to get yourself noticed on the field. I was disappointed that Ashton didn't bring the 3/4's into the game more during the 6 nations, there was real potential there.

mmm balshaw had his moments... too flakey under the ball... a shame really cause at one time he was looking like he was going to be a great player... again sublime runner... agreed

For me, the big difference in RL & RU personel is the size of the forwards. In RU, the forwards are BIG men, and they play a very definate role that is different to the backs, in the scrum, rucks, maul & line-out.
In RL, the distinction between backs & forwards is less clear-cut as the scrum is more or less a redundant token gesture, and therefore the emphasis is on speed & agility as opposed to sizer & power.

Balshaw and Ashton have a connection ..at my daughters school there is a picture of both on the wall along with Will Greenwood and Bracken etc... the players all attended the same school and Ashton started his coaching career there hence the affinity for styles of play.
Balshaw is a great 'free' runner which Ashton rates highly ,but he lacks the stability and consistency you need from someone who is the last line of defence and may I add a critique on Ashtons criterion for selection. I also think this is why Jason Robinson was ideal in that position rather than wing. He had both qualities and like the very best supreme athletes he combined it with intelligence in decision making made under stress and at speed. Where Robinson is the complete player others who are nonetheless very talented like Balshaw and Paul will never quite reach the heights of performance that we associate with Robinson. The difference between very good and great.
I hope Brian Ashton agrees to be a national developmental coach as it would be an ideal position for him and in that role he has no betters. It's a pity that the RFU committee never understood this and really invited him into a role that he was not well suited to.
They did a disservice to all concerned.

I know the school (trading must be good if you send your daughters there, eh?!). Didn't know that's where Ashton had been the Rugby Master though. Of course they have both spent time at bath, though I'm not sure at the same time (was Jack Rowell around still around then????)

Anyway I disagree re: the positional points you make. I didn't ever think Robinson should have made the 15 jersey his own, I don't think he runs the right lines for a fullback - rather give him either 11 or 14 and a free reign to pop up in the midfield and run riot from 2nd and 3rd phase ball, and leave Balshaw to pick his lines from fullback. Security under the high ball is an issue though, I will concede that. Infact, given that they are both professionals, there is no reason to say they shouldn't swap positions depending on who holds posession. All academic now anyways as JR has retired and Ashton has been shafted by the RFU (as a bath fan I hold an affection for BA, I do hope he takes the new role and is suitably compansated).

IB did get a run out with the Baa Baa's yestrday, did anyone catch the game???

I know the school (trading must be good if you send your daughters there, eh?!). Didn't know that's where Ashton had been the Rugby Master though. Of course they have both spent time at bath, though I'm not sure at the same time (was Jack Rowell around still around then????)

Anyway I disagree re: the positional points you make. I didn't ever think Robinson should have made the 15 jersey his own, I don't think he runs the right lines for a fullback - rather give him either 11 or 14 and a free reign to pop up in the midfield and run riot from 2nd and 3rd phase ball, and leave Balshaw to pick his lines from fullback. Security under the high ball is an issue though, I will concede that. Infact, given that they are both professionals, there is no reason to say they shouldn't swap positions depending on who holds posession. All academic now anyways as JR has retired and Ashton has been shafted by the RFU (as a bath fan I hold an affection for BA, I do hope he takes the new role and is suitably compansated).

IB did get a run out with the Baa Baa's yestrday, did anyone catch the game???

I have to disagree with you disagreeing with me...LOL
Seriously, to some extent you're only as good as the team you're in and if you saw Robinson in Paris against the Boks you would not say that ..it was JS plays the Boks quite literally. When he came off even the Boks sat next to me jumped to their feet to applaud. It was his misfortune to spend the last 3 seasons of his international career playing inside a team that had absolutely no cohesion for which BA must take full responsibility. Great guy that he is ,wonderful developmental coach that he is ,he is also seriously deficient in selection & strategy. His treatment was abysmal.