Signatures

dbphoenix

Guest Author
I notice that when the signature is changed, it is changed in every instance throughout the site regardless of the date of the post. Is there any way the signature can be connected to the post in some way so that old signatures are not replaced when a new signature is created?

I realize this change will create problems with regard to sigs that violate the guidelines and have to be deleted or modified in toto, but maybe somebody has a clever solution.

Last edited:
I notice that when the signature is changed, it is changed in every instance throughout the site regardless of the date of the post. Is there any way the signature can be connected to the post in some way so that old signatures are not replaced when a new signature is created?

I realize this change will create problems with regard to sigs that violate the guidelines and have to be deleted or modified in toto, but maybe somebody has a clever solution.

I think we could well do with such a function. Although the text from earlier signatures is lost already, it would be nice to have this feature available in the future.

Its a good idea. But equally there may be members who would prefer NOT to have old posts contain old signatures, as they may find them embarrasing, a bit like an unwanted tatoo - preferring the current signature to be displayed on all posts instead. Perhaps this idea requires a poll?

Last edited:
But equally there may be members who would prefer NOT to have old posts contain old signatures, as they may find them embarrasing

What could possibly be embarrassing about a self chosen signature ?

Paul

What could possibly be embarrassing about a self chosen signature ?

Paul

I agree, if they don't want to be reminded of their old signature, they shouldn't have posted it in the first place. Otherwise, we might as well start removing our earlier posts. I'm sure I can think of some where I was a bit out of line :eek:

....Why would anyone want change their signature.....?

...I thought people kept these for life...!

...I thought people kept these for life...!

Maybe the mods could put out a warning that goes something like:

A signature is for life and not just for Christmas :)

Paul

One possible advantage is that it might cut down the length of signatures. Some tend to grow until they are, shall we say, out of balance with the posts to which they are connected?

One possible advantage is that it might cut down the length of signatures. Some tend to grow until they are, shall we say, out of balance with the posts to which they are connected?

It doesn't really bother me. If its too long, likelihood is I'll often not read it.
I think that one single quote/comment in the signature column hasd a bigger impact rather than multi-sigs.

I don't think it can be easily changed in the way dbp suggested. I understand the thinking, similar to a sig in an email, if you changed it today, you wouldn't expect all your old emails to change too - but think if they did, how useful it could be - for example, your contact details would always be correct. I imagine that was the thinking behind doing it this way, unfortunately with no easy way to switch over, without considerable re-engineering, it's unlikely we'll implement this suggestion.

I don't think it can be easily changed in the way dbp suggested. I understand the thinking, similar to a sig in an email, if you changed it today, you wouldn't expect all your old emails to change too - but think if they did, how useful it could be - for example, your contact details would always be correct. I imagine that was the thinking behind doing it this way, unfortunately with no easy way to switch over, without considerable re-engineering, it's unlikely we'll implement this suggestion.

Oh well, you can't win them all...
There's still this thread, where one can save his favourite signatures/quotes/etc...

I take it for the same reason, it's not possible to save several avatars? Not that I'm thinking of changing though.