Shared Broadband

chump

Technologically challenged can anyone give me the heads up on the above. Basically I run BT Broadband from my PC ,but I now wish to get the breadsnatcher a new PC which can share the Broadband access (yes, I know it's a dumb idea) . Her PC is about 25 metres away from mine. So ,the question is what do I need to do this in terms of hardware and software ? I haven't bought her new PC yet so tell me if it also needs a modem etc.
Cheers

Chump

Just done this. Bought a BT1800HG wireless hub from BT (£109) and a BT Voyager 1060 wireless card (£38) for her PC. Your main computer is connected to the hub by ethernet cable (included in the kit) or you can configure to work both wireless (need another wireless card if you do) which I have done. It's all working fine and we both tinker away on broadband doing our own thing - no more pushing me out of my seat so she can get on internet.

You can do it a lot cheaper if you know what you're doing (or know a man who does!!).

Hope this helps.

jon

Thanks guys.....

Jon,
do you notice any degradation of download speed when you are both accessing internet simultaneously ?

Chump

I use BTBroadband in process of upgrading to 1gb, I have a BTVoyager 2000 modem which provides wireless access for up to 6 computers. I have been using it with a pc and 2 laptops no problem. I have had this for just short of 2 years without problem. However there is now a new version Voyager 2100 which can take more computers. All you need do is ensure the computer is less than 50 metres from the modem and obtain the wireless adaptors for each additional computer/laptop. The modem is around £80 - £90 in PC World. If you do not mind wires around the house then you can avoid the expense of the adaptors and purchase a slightly cheaper router.

However the real benefit of the wireless network has been the ability to use the laptops around the house as the adaptor is placed inside the laptop so it can go anywhere within the 50 meter range of the modem. It saves going upstairs to sort out a problem such as home work etc they can bring it to you instead. LOL

Kevin

ps Nice to see you are still in contact after 'Journey from the basement'

chump said:
Thanks guys.....

Jon,
do you notice any degradation of download speed when you are both accessing internet simultaneously ?

chump,

not yet, but it's early days. I'll let you know what happens next week when she's busy downloading and I'm trying to trade :)

jon

barjon said:
chump,

not yet, but it's early days. I'll let you know what happens next week when she's busy downloading and I'm trying to trade :)

jon

chump if your interested in finding out more about the BT1800HG that jon has just got from BT you can go to www.2wire.com as this is where BT get it from.

Breadman

Thanks again......some good starting points for me to follow up on.

You are all paying way too much.

A decent Wireless home gateway for ADSL needn't cost this much. http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51436

If you are just browsing the web or downloading files to one or two PCs then 11MB wireless is fine.

The BT HG1800 is over complex and can be a pig under certain situations for the computer novice IMHO. It uses technology that is non standards based used primarily on the continent. I'd definateky go for something cheaper as highlighted above.

JonnyT

JonnyT

What if you want to run several web-pages with streaming data for up to 6 - 8 hours continuously with other home use demand from additional computers.

Certainly your option is much cheaper but can it take the demand of trading data from several sources if so it is an very good alternative.

Kevin

Of course it can.

An 11 meg Wireless will give between 3-6 meg of actual throughput in the real world depending on make of kit.

As your ADSL is a 500K pipe then it is the ADSL that is the limiting factor and not the Wireless network.

I still recommend connecting via cable where possible as the device I highlighted as a 4 port Ethernet switch aswell.

JonnyT

Hi Jonny T
I was looking at a USB adapter for my laptop, are USB 2 devices compatible with USB 1

Thanx

JonnyT

Thank you for your response, when you mention the ADSL 500K pipe are you referring to the capacity of BT at 512 upgrading to 1gb. The 2100 version also has 4 ethernet port switch what exactly is the benefit of cable. I

BT do not offer 1G ADSL.

They do offer 1 Meg.

The benefit of cable when switched is that you more throughput between devices.

For example sharing files on one PC for another to read or write.

Wireless is shared bandwidth of 11Meg or 54Meg (though effectively a lot less due to overheads) whereas a switch will generally be 100 Meg non contended these days.

If all you are doing in browsing and downloading from the web it won't make a noticeable difference.

JonnyT

JonnyT

Thanks for that, I take it then that for the purposes of trading while the BT modem is more expensive it does provide sufficient power to accommodate trading data.

Kevin

Chump,

Note Jonny's link doesn't include a modem, though you already have one of these. I got an all in one Modem/wireless router - thought it'd be simpler.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=64619

Don't necessarily recommend this one though, as I'm not convinced the range is that good. Could be due to my thick stone walls though. Be careful with ebuyer, their descriptions are not necessarily that clear - read the reviews.

If it's not too difficult to run a cable, I believe XP can handle the internet sharing for you. I've not tried it, but maybe someone who has will post.

kevin546 said:
JonnyT

Thanks for that, I take it then that for the purposes of trading while the BT modem is more expensive it does provide sufficient power to accommodate trading data.

Kevin
I see no advantage for the home user using the expensive BT product.

JonnyT

mutantcar said:
Chump,

Note Jonny's link doesn't include a modem, though you already have one of these. I got an all in one Modem/wireless router - thought it'd be simpler.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=4224613958&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=64619

Don't necessarily recommend this one though, as I'm not convinced the range is that good. Could be due to my thick stone walls though. Be careful with ebuyer, their descriptions are not necessarily that clear - read the reviews.

If it's not too difficult to run a cable, I believe XP can handle the internet sharing for you. I've not tried it, but maybe someone who has will post.
The product I highlighted has an integrated modem and is thus all you need to connect to ADSL.
JonnyT