Scalping for 1/2 tick or a tick but what stop to use

herbie14

Hi
does anyone know any good resources for techniques on scalping dax/ftse futures, i have been doing so for several months but have not go to the point were i feel comfortable to do more than 3 lots a pop...
any good ideas would be great

I know of no book but in my experience it is not good to trade outside your comfort zone. 3 lots in ftse is a good amount if you are starting to scalp. Only once you are comfortable with your technique increase. If you are not comfortable then I would cut back to 1 lot.
How about trading the spreads between indices rather than the index itself. Less volatile and easier to manage.

hi
thanks for the info so say buy ftse and sell dax? then i would need about 3 lotson the ftse for 2 lots of dax?
thanks
neil

Don't trade FTSE the range is too small. In fact don't trade any Index Future.

Why don't you trade the EUR/USD on Globex?

Great movement, Great to scalp, 1 tick spread, Average range 3 times FTSE, $12.5 per tick

JonnyT

Good ol' JonnyT. He loves his FX futures.

A good trader is a happy trader. Keep it up!

Not if you do it 30 times at high volume. But you've obviously got a highly profitable method, how else do you manage to make so many useful posts?

LOLLL JT............... I dont think Herbie is familiar with your startegies............

Herbie, JT is very much into Currency trading and he is right........ the indicies especially the FTSE are out of facshion at the moment.

As far as scalping goes, I certainly wouldnt fancy it !! Very easy to get the 0.5 tic BUT how many Tics are u risking.......

My brother who is very new to trading, was inspired when i told him that u only need a £1000 and managing a consistent 15% return per month compounded will return well over a million in about 3.5 yrs !

Sounds easy ( in THEORY)- and he was thinking that if he could manage just a net 3 pips ( pts) in the Eur/USD, then he would make it.............. BUT i told him that he had overlooked the losses- IT is the LOSSES which will ruin this show........unfortunately the losses are going to be part of the show.

Al

Hi ford,

What risk are you taking doing high volume 30 times per day?

What Capital do you need?

Are you balls made of Steel?

My Auto System is averaging > 10 ticks per day from a single trade rising 5 ticks per day.

To me this is much better and far less stressful than doing large size. I'm not even at my PC when it trades...

JonnyT

Jonny, what is the IB entry for EUR/USD on Globex?
Don't know if I'm signed up.

You guys have scalping all wrong. Most losses are costs alone if you are disciplined. This means that trading 50-100lot clips in a contract can be done relatively safely. The main cost to me is not losses, although they do occur, it is transaction costs on doing many thouands of rt's/month.

JT- which auto system are u using ?? I have had a llok at 1 or 2, but they dont automise trading that much ..............

thanks
Al

Oatman,

Currently using the H
MyTrack Symbol is AQ`H
IB Symbol is EUR-200403-GLOBEX

Al,

I use my own Java App through IB

JonnyT