SB account replaces my pension.

jsd.

You know my capital, you know my risk level, you know what ATR is. You can therefore work out my bet size for each index.

Salty, what would be maximum/ minimum amount per point u normally trade? and do u ever adjust your stop if there is a drawdown that seems to likely take out ur stop?

Thanks for the quick reply salty. I'd guessed about 0.5:1 reward:risk ratio.

Just goes to show you can make handsome profits with a low r:r strategy as long as you have a high expectancy system.

All the best.

Darren

Grubs
assuming 300 pounds being 3% and for example average true range (ATR) on dow =70 points + 25% equates to

300 / 87.5 = 3.43 Apxx bet size

300/ 3.43 = 87 apx dow points risk for example

Great Trading

Congratulations great results 84 is brilliant - Well done - I just hope this is not a prelude to launching your own Seminar at £295 :rolleyes:

Q:- As you are with finspreads do you trail the stop? which I assume is fairly wide - why do you trade so many times if you are following long term trends!

Last edited:
Of course some might note that if a person adopted a buy and hold method for the past 8 months based on a trading account starting with 5k then we could of had 1 trade with a 1000 point stop at 5 pounds per point which today would be open profit of 2600 x 5 = 13000 (without compounding,pyramiding etc)
a measurement some traders use is to look at if your trading would of out performed the buy and hold method.

jd

jsd

I really do not care about the buy and hold comparison.

I would find that method far too boring and you would be dependent on the outcome of 1 trade.

I am putting money in the bank. That is all I am concerned about. I am in no hurry to accumulate because I see this as a long term plan.

I am very happy with my progress and do not feel the need to compare with other methods.

agree entirley, but then i see it as making money as opposed to something to keep me stimulated, some of the best traders (dollars made ) have said the best trade would be one that lasts forever, holding for years , market wizardom. i can see sense in what they say and i can see sense when people measure performance with matching the index beating it or not.....

keep up the good work..

I understand what you are saying but I also find this good fun as well as a means to make money.

Darren,

Like u say, risk: reward is linked to expectancy, but they can all vary-

U could have a fairly high hit rate- e.g. 80 %,, if u are happy with say risking 100 points , but only looking to gain say 40/50 pts-

Tighten your stops and u are getting hit all the time ! I guess one needs to find a happy medium- I think i am using too tight a stop at the moment and will need to adjust that !

Salty, well done- your pull back is subjective, but obviously it is working for u , so keep up the good work- well done.

Al

Salty Gibbon said:
I understand what you are saying but I also find this good fun as well as a means to make money.

B*gger the masses - just do your own thing :D

Exactly.

If it works, don't fix it just because it doesn't conform to normal behaviour.

Whatever normal is ! ?

salty
con grats on your wins ,
we all need to look at new things
and I like the kiss principle
keep it simple stupid
regards
hornblower

I find it very hard to believe aswell.
84 winning trades in 60 trading days
and no losers...

However i wont accuse anyone of being a liar without any proof.

But it is very hard to believe..

Last edited:
Why is it that hard to believe, she goes long on every position, buys on dips and waits till they turn good. There has been no major downwards movements on any of the indices in the last 2 months.

If you brought on any of the dips, even if only a small dip. It would have come good in a few days.

Maybe she has been lucky. She may lose the next 84 trades, only time will tell.

84 dips is hard.

I can believe 10 or even 20 tradeable dips over a 3 month period
but not 84 with NO losers

It depends on what your idea of a dip is.

On the dow, Nasdaq and FTSE there are often intraday dips that provide good buying opportunities.

84 trades is a lot, but it makes no difference to me whether she is telling the truth or lying, so I just take her word for it and wish her the best.

I went through a 2 month winning steak last year, this was buy AIM stocks.

I ended up being 500% up. But I pretty much lost it all the following two month even though I maintain a 66% success rate. I just risked too much and got too confident.

It is good to lose a few trades early on and to make errors once in a while actually improves my trading and dicipline.

Maybe she has been lucky. She may lose the next 84 trades, only time will tell.

Why do you assume that I am a she ? Lol.

Yes, I agree everyone it is hard to believe just as I find it almost impossible to believe in God despite the faith displayed by my local priest.

BTW, I took 25 points out of the FTSE yesterday so you are quite right to dispuite the 84 wins.

It is now 85.

Lol lol lol all the way to the bank.....