S&P 500 & other indexes - intraday. Plus chat

This has been one of the quietest months I can remember. Thus far I have taken 2 trades, and seen one other opportunity (missed because I was away from my desk for a short period).

That is it.

I'm going to have to think of some strategies for trading ranges. (n)

This has been a fairly mechanical month. Much more so than the norm.

The number of bounces off yesterdays high/low, globex high/low has been exceptional IMO.

I am re-hacking my approach for September. I take too many trades going in to areas I establish before the open. So, I end up long into an area I think will be a short.

In September, I am going to sit on my hands and not take a trade until it comes to an area of interest established prior to the open. The only exception will be the open price which obviously cannot be established beforehand.

I think the thought/decision process changes over time, from..."what is the market going to do?" to "what is the market not doing".

US stock markets got a good bump Friday from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke's much-awaited endorsement of more stimulus action, but still ended lower on a week of lackluster end-of-summer trade.

While Bernanke's suggestion that the Fed could embark on a QE3 bond-buying program helped the Friday rebound, it was still his justification -- that the economy is really not doing well -- that kept a general cloud over the markets.

Trade was flat for three straight days, then sank on Thursday while nearly making up the difference Friday, rising even before the Fed chief spoke.

The Dow ended Friday down 0.51 percent for the week, to 13,090.84.

The broad-based S&P 500 (SNP: ^GSPC - news) fell 0.32 percent to 1,406.58, while the tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite (Nasdaq: ^IXIC - news) ended down a bare 0.09 percent at 3,066.96.

Bernanke and Fed documents had steadily hinted that the Fed could act, raising expectations -- though no decision will be made before the September 12-13 meeting of the Federal Open Market Committee, the central bank's policy board.

But Bernanke was more glum about the economy Friday than had been expected.

"The economic situation is obviously far from satisfactory," he said in a speech in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

"The stagnation of the labor market in particular is a grave concern," he said.

It was at the same venue two years ago when Bernanke signaled the Fed's QE2 quantitative easing program, which sent the markets on a 10-month bull run.

But the economy has faltered since the beginning of this year, and traders have been hoping for more juice from the central bank -- though no one is sure it will have the same effect as before.

"Chairman Bernanke's comments should be taken positively as he indicated a willingness to increase support to the economy," said Michael James, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan Securities.

James said that a third round of Fed quantitative easing, dubbed QE3, was "more likely than unlikely, based on my reading of his commentary today, and that will continue to be positive for market sentiment next week."

"We didn't get a formal announcement for QE3 and the market still remained strong," said Joe Bell of Schaeffer's Investment Research.

"With some people claiming the rally is dependent on further actions, it's always a good sign when the market rallies without any Fed actions."

Confirming that will require more data on the economy, coming up in next week's holiday-shortened trade -- Monday is Labor Day.

Tuesday will see the release of the ISM's manufacturing index for August and data on construction activity in July; on Thursday the ISM's service sector index comes out.

Friday's job creation and unemployment figures for August will be the most-awaited numbers, with analysts looking to see whether they echo Bernanke's sentiment about the jobs market, giving him ammunition to carry into the FOMC meeting to convince stimulus-doubters on the panel.

"With the holiday, it will continue to be a sentiment-driven market, with an upside bias," said James.

"The labor (report) is going to be the biggest bit of economic data."

I think Out of the Market hours the S&P is more predictable, so I will be trading today.

Attachments

• S&P 500.PNG
    S&P 500.PNG
    111.3 KB · Views: 147
I think the thought/decision process changes over time, from..."what is the market going to do?" to "what is the market not doing".

I agree very much with this principle. As an example I will go into the session with hypothetical trading opportunities formed by a view. Once in flight it becomes a case of evaluating the view and then re-forming the trade opportunities. For example:

Bias might be long with reversals expected around ON-H and ON-L however watch when taking short at ON-H because it is against the money flow.

RTH kicks off and the opening swing high makes it nowhere near the ON-H before heavy selling comes in. This then invalidates the long at the ON-L as being solid because the market has told you it's immediate bias is short. And so it goes on.

I agree very much with this principle. As an example I will go into the session with hypothetical trading opportunities formed by a view. Once in flight it becomes a case of evaluating the view and then re-forming the trade opportunities. For example:

Bias might be long with reversals expected around ON-H and ON-L however watch when taking short at ON-H because it is against the money flow.

RTH kicks off and the opening swing high makes it nowhere near the ON-H before heavy selling comes in. This then invalidates the long at the ON-L as being solid because the market has told you it's immediate bias is short. And so it goes on.

+1

I always go into the market with a few hypothesis of what might happen. That's why in my pre-market analysis it's always - could be doing this or could be doing that.... Looks like I'm just covering all eventualities and in face, that is exactly what it is.

My trouble is actually waiting for the opportunities to play out and instead I tend to go for smaller opportunities which means I miss out on the larger ones.

Hence this month I will not do that to see if it really is a problem or not.

How many contracts have been traded so far today? wot do u make it? I just want a comparison thats all.

+1

I always go into the market with a few hypothesis of what might happen. That's why in my pre-market analysis it's always - could be doing this or could be doing that.... Looks like I'm just covering all eventualities and in face, that is exactly what it is.

My trouble is actually waiting for the opportunities to play out and instead I tend to go for smaller opportunities which means I miss out on the larger ones.

Hence this month I will not do that to see if it really is a problem or not.

I have noted in your daily analysis that you don't take key levels from higher TF's into account that often. This is why *I think* you don't benefit from whoppers because a) you don't acknowledge that as levels, they exist and then miss them or b) do trade them but not to the extent of profit that you could squeeze from them.

Just an observation, can't say I do it well myself Pedro but it is something I recognised a few months ago and am trying to change.

How many contracts have been traded so far today? wot do u make it? I just want a comparison thats all.

Europe opened with around 55k contracts traded which for me as a 'normal' amount for the day considering it is a US holiday. Suspect it is now dying off though and I won't be participating at 2.30pm.

I have noted in your daily analysis that you don't take key levels from higher TF's into account that often. This is why *I think* you don't benefit from whoppers because a) you don't acknowledge that as levels, they exist and then miss them or b) do trade them but not to the extent of profit that you could squeeze from them.

Just an observation, can't say I do it well myself Pedro but it is something I recognised a few months ago and am trying to change.

I have been trying to tke the 4H into consideratiomn, this morning, on the FT

It's cost me 3 trades and 8 odd points but maybe it will happen.

Europe opened with around 55k contracts traded which for me as a 'normal' amount for the day considering it is a US holiday. Suspect it is now dying off though and I won't be participating at 2.30pm.[/QUOTE]

Yeh, right now they've done just shy of 118k. Prob better waiting for 1430.

I do look @ weekly/yearly/monthly highs & lows but most of the time they aren't close. This has been a more recent addition.

I'll also look at LVNs outside of balance but right now, my opinion is that LVNs above are pretty old and therefore useless.

Can you think of other stuff I'm missing here? Be interested to hear....

Europe opened with around 55k contracts traded which for me as a 'normal' amount for the day considering it is a US holiday. Suspect it is now dying off though and I won't be participating at 2.30pm.

Yes, I think I'll pack in for the day, too. This is what I meant in my other post about not being able to be there, all the time. If I leave an order on, at this time, I am likely to be spiked in and out while I am on the train.

When the US opens tomorrow, there may be better ops-

I do look @ weekly/yearly/monthly highs & lows but most of the time they aren't close. This has been a more recent addition.

I'll also look at LVNs outside of balance but right now, my opinion is that LVNs above are pretty old and therefore useless.

Can you think of other stuff I'm missing here? Be interested to hear....

I'm going to go with the previous subject but try a thought experiment with you Pedro:

1) What has been the going on for the last month, since the last NFP

2) What levels do you think will come into play if it prints high and what profit objectives might be associated with them?

3) What levels do you think will come into play if it prints low and what profit objectives might be associated with them?

Up until I asked these questions, did you have a view on how you would behave around these key levels? That's kind of what I was getting at Pedro.

I'm going to go with the previous subject but try a thought experiment with you Pedro:

1) What has been the going on for the last month, since the last NFP

2) What levels do you think will come into play if it prints high and what profit objectives might be associated with them?

3) What levels do you think will come into play if it prints low and what profit objectives might be associated with them?

Up until I asked these questions, did you have a view on how you would behave around these key levels? That's kind of what I was getting at Pedro.

I will look but I will give you my opinion before I look.

I don't generally care where price trades, I care where the majority of volume trades. The exception is major highs/lows like weeklies & monthlies.

Saying that - I will spend a few hours tomorrow considering your post.

OK - so here we are:

ApresNFP.png

We can see the NFP - the big push up prior to the current area of balance.

My plan - trade the balance area until we see some vertical development - so fade the highs and lows.

When we see the vertical development, I'll try to get on board but to be honest, I'm quite happy to stand to one side & wait for balance again.

We are in an area we haven't been in this decade. Those levels so far to the right aren't something I'm going to play off as I think it stretches the validity of how well these areas of prior acceptance/rejection hold up.

I presume this is somewhat different to you, Rob - how do you see it?

Kind of Pedro - it's more about thinking about what to do when it changes, so as an example of my current thinking:

- Value has not changed since the last NFP.
- There has been quite a lot of news in the last month, some of it ok.
- It is balancing because there is no institutional desire for price to change.
- NFP if it prints an unexpected amount is likely to cause a sell-off because I think it is weak up here.
- If it sells off I think the most likely candidate area will be around 1380 for a bounce
- 1390 as an LVN is not viable in this scenario as in a sell-off it will be liquidity that halts the move, not an LVN
- If I get a long at 1380ish, then taking an intraday 2pt win is a bit of a waste and it will probably be worth holding for a lot longer.

It's this last point I was trying to tease out with you Pedro - the premise of longer term trade opportunities being exploited for more profit instead of just seeing that 1380 is an area of liquidity but still treating it like a normal intraday opportunity.

Last edited: