Retail forex- Oanda or FXCM?

i dont really understand leverage to be honest, its money borrowed from your broker, is it?. like 30:1, does that mean i could buy 30x what my account is worth in terms of other currency?

What difference does it really make to real traders?I used the same leverage at Oanda and at other brokers.No more than 30 to 1.

Forget the idiots who leverage 200 to 1, they are not traders .
As you say it doesn't matter to 'real' because you choose your own trade leverage, BUT my point is that offering such madness at all shows that these brokers are quite willing to screw people over. The trader/broker relationship in a real trading environment SHOULD be one of mutual support, as their commisions are dependent on your success. If you pick a medium to trade in where there is no mutual support, the odds are stacked hugely out of your favour.

The brokers advertising the most are the worst culprits.

To them you are just a number ,one out of 200,000 customers,trader's success is less important than the broker's profits.

A sucker is born every minute , and novice trader is just a new sucker.They will advertise for new suckers,and they will get them.

If they lose 1,000 suckers every month via blown accounts, they will advertise more and get 2,000 new suckers to give them more loot.

They will even give them crappy account blowing signal services,so they can blow their accounts even faster.They will advertise for new traders to open more accounts.

Oanda relies on customer loyalty ,repeat business ,word of mouth and recommendation.

I really do not like the ethics of most of the other brokers.Oanda's using some algo to combine small orders , but this algo can cause spread widening.It is not a perfect market maker/broker.

If anything I would use O D L and stp processing.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-brokers/77330-o-d-l-securities-s-t-p-forex-broker.html

The brokers advertising the most are the worst culprits.

To them you are just a number ,one out of 200,000 customers,trader's success is less important than the broker's profits.

A sucker is born every minute , and novice trader is just a new sucker.They will advertise for new suckers,and they will get them.

If they lose 1,000 suckers every month via blown accounts, they will advertise more and get 2,000 new suckers to give them more loot.

They will even give them crappy account blowing signal services,so they can blow their accounts even faster.They will advertise for new traders to open more accounts.

Oanda relies on customer loyalty ,repeat business ,word of mouth and recommendation.

I really do not like the ethics of most of the other brokers.Oanda's using some algo to combine small orders , but this algo can cause spread widening.It is not a perfect market maker/broker.

If anything I would use O D L and stp processing.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-brokers/77330-o-d-l-securities-s-t-p-forex-broker.html

Longevity of a trader does matter depending on the type of execution a broker uses.

Brokers operating a dealing desk need a constant supply of new traders if they are trading against clients.

Brokers using STP or NDD execution want successful traders because because trading volume drives revenues. Successful traders trade longer. A trader blowing out an account is a waste for an STP/NDD broker.

I was having a real account with FXCM and cannot say that i was happy with. Whenever the market starts to be a little bit faster they widen their spreads. 6-12 pips in EURUUSD are in such cases nothing unusual.

Oanda have very tight spreads but you need to like the java platform.

A good option is in my meaning MB Trading. Tight spreads and metatrader.

im trading dailies and using MT4 free for charting anyway so the oanda java platform is mainly going to be for execution and not charting.

Im not going to be too fussy about spreads max i'd pay is about 6-7 pips on anything, a little bit of slippage off dailies ,meh,i can deal with it.