Remote control software

Tried several programs over the years for remote control of friends' PCs (sorting out their problems) and recently been using this one which is the easiest and best I've found so far -- it's also very easy for the remote person who only needs to give you a code off their screen. The software is free for non-commercial use. It's called TeamViewer. (Obviously both PCs need to be connected to the Internet). http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

You could even show your old Dad how to trade when he doesn't live just round the corner!

Tried several programs over the years for remote control of friends' PCs (sorting out their problems) and recently been using this one which is the easiest and best I've found so far -- it's also very easy for the remote person who only needs to give you a code off their screen. The software is free for non-commercial use. It's called TeamViewer. (Obviously both PCs need to be connected to the Internet). http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

You could even show your old Dad how to trade when he doesn't live just round the corner!
Ill second that! Fab program!(y)

Ill second that! Fab program!(y)

Just had cause to use this program again to sort out one of her Ladyship's friend's computer (ancient win XP totally run down and shambolic). Forgotten how good it is because I haven't used it for at least 12 months. Got her PC sorted in 30 minutes and saved myself a couple of hours drive in the car. Free for private use – just brilliant.

Just had cause to use this program again to sort out one of her Ladyship's friend's computer (ancient win XP totally run down and shambolic). Forgotten how good it is because I haven't used it for at least 12 months. Got her PC sorted in 30 minutes and saved myself a couple of hours drive in the car. Free for private use – just brilliant.

What kind of PC do you have now? What system are using? How much was it?

What kind of PC do you have now? What system are using? How much was it?

Win7, Intel I-5 cpu (with 6 MB cache - needed for good speech recognition capability), 8 GB Ram, 3 x Mon. 4+ years old self-build, legacy items re-used where suitable. Good quality parts < £300. Wouldn't appeal to the fashion conscious but does the job. Free upgrade to Win 10 when shown to be OK. If I'd wanted it just for trading I could easily have got away with a lesser CPU and less Ram for a good saving. For my kind of bog-standard unsophisticated trading, a high-powered and expensive computer is unnecessary. However I have always considered it worthwhile to get decent-sized monitors – but they don't have to be expensive for trading purposes.

Attachments

• R0042397.JPG
    R0042397.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 236
Win7, Intel I-5 cpu (with 6 MB cache - needed for good speech recognition capability), 8 GB Ram, 3 x Mon. 4+ years old self-build, legacy items re-used where suitable. Good quality parts < £300. Wouldn't appeal to the fashion conscious but does the job. Free upgrade to Win 10 when shown to be OK. If I'd wanted it just for trading I could easily have got away with a lesser CPU and less Ram for a good saving. For my kind of bog-standard unsophisticated trading, a high-powered and expensive computer is unnecessary. However I have always considered it worthwhile to get decent-sized monitors – but they don't have to be expensive for trading purposes.

In the US 8GB stick of RAM is about $100 and an Intel i5 is $200. You got the monitor, computer and everything for £300? What make is your computer? what is the processor speed?

I only ask because I am curious how you got such a good deal.

In the US 8GB stick of RAM is about $100 and an Intel i5 is $200. You got the monitor, computer and everything for £300? What make is your computer? what is the processor speed?

I only ask because I am curious how you got such a good deal.

Just to clarify: £300 refers only to motherboard + Ram + CPU. If I remember rightly from April 2011, items purchased via Amazon Intel CPU £160, gigabyte motherboard £80, Crucial memory £40. Basically most of the other bits and pieces were leftovers from my previous XP Pentium computer (again self build). You don't actually save any money by building it yourself but you do get to know specifically what's inside and its provenance – commercial PCs will source their components from wherever at the best price they can get. If you're not interested/haven't got the time/don't know how to build your own PC my suggestion is to get second-hand. There are ex-corporate bargains out there (certainly in UK) which are typically built to withstand the worst that the worst office worker can throw at them and will cope with all day-to-day stuff. However, if you're a gamer of any serious pretence then you need to spend some real money.

PS: processor speed is much less of a consideration these days than it was years ago – most modern CPUs are perfectly adequate for everyday use in terms of speed – things like cache size now assume great importance. Other factors like storage/memory access and Internet connection are much more likely to have an effect on perceived speed of your PC.

Last edited:
Just to clarify: £300 refers only to motherboard + Ram + CPU. If I remember rightly from April 2011, items purchased via Amazon Intel CPU £160, gigabyte motherboard £80, Crucial memory £40. Basically most of the other bits and pieces were leftovers from my previous XP Pentium computer (again self build). You don't actually save any money by building it yourself but you do get to know specifically what's inside and its provenance – commercial PCs will source their components from wherever at the best price they can get. If you're not interested/haven't got the time/don't know how to build your own PC my suggestion is to get second-hand. There are ex-corporate bargains out there (certainly in UK) which are typically built to withstand the worst that the worst office worker can throw at them and will cope with all day-to-day stuff. However, if you're a gamer of any serious pretence then you need to spend some real money.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't *game*. I prefer to use the Mac Pro and then use Parallels 10 to run Windows simultaneously.

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't *game*. I prefer to use the Mac Pro and then use Parallels 10 to run Windows simultaneously.

Interesting to hear that you run Parallels. The Macs are nice pieces of kit but I've always used Windows because much of my software isn't available for Mac and I'm too mean to spend the extra dosh. I've heard various reports of how good Parallels is: any problems in your experience?

Interesting to hear that you run Parallels. The Macs are nice pieces of kit but I've always used Windows because much of my software isn't available for Mac and I'm too mean to spend the extra dosh. I've heard various reports of how good Parallels is: any problems in your experience?

I have tried many and none work as well as Parallels 10 or Bootcamp. It allows me to run a Windows partition within my Mac. I have found Windows to be very problematic. They do not auto-defragment and .exe are a breeding ground for viruses. Parallels only costs $79. It lets me allocate however much RAM I want to the virtual machine. People have told me that they chose PCs for the software. I can do anything you can do on PC in a virtual machine without any risk of viruses. There are some programs that I use that are only for the Mac. It allows me to run Excel in Windows (Windows allows unlimited RAM to Excel unlike Excel for Mac). There are very things I need it for.

Additionally, macs read HFS+ journaled and FAT32 while PC can only read FAT32 unless you do a lot of cludging.