reminiscence of(yet) a (novice)trader

so i was just settling in.made notes of any gaps and of coming news events today.
AND something ****** me off right away.i cant believe the mind games these ******** play.
first off the company i use,used to use gmt so their 12.30 meant 13.30 but today their 13.30 actually means 13.30 the SOBS but now i know better and check 4 different calenders!
and each of those calenders would you believe have a different rating for those news events,some see the ECB rate decision as a non event!
makes you wonder if these so accepted professionals know WTF they are even talking about

So - how many punishment push-ups did you have to do yesterday ?

Did I hear you whisper - none ?

:clap:

So - how many punishment push-ups did you have to do yesterday ?

Did I hear you whisper - none ?

:clap:

youre right again.
i must love myself too much but i do beat myself up mentally.
2 trades today in the last hour and half (up +abit).maybe there hasnt been much opportunity.im more focused on where i would get out(aka STOP LOSS) might still not accept it but thinking more about it(baby steps in the right direction)
ive found the secret.which is to get in as close as you can to your stop the wisdom is to accept it(the next stage of the journey)

todays result an annoying but bearable -3.
you can do everything right and the victories are hard won and small.do one thing wrong and the market thinks it can bugger you without limits.
taken printouts of 2 trades that went wrong and will constantly review these to try and remember not to make the same mistakes.infact will now be compiling a folder of all these trades.
not tempted to take anymore trades today.will give my mind a rest and will definitely not be trading on mobile!

this is how today was supposed to start.
i settle down at my desk,check for any gaps and news announcements and reaffirm my trading rules.
this is how it went-
i short the ftse at 10.52,to make matters worse,i short it again 10.55 and on top of all that,ON MOBILE!
10mins later and about -30 i decide to get to my desk to see the bigger picture and scalp back my loss.
where i would have noticed that perhaps dax was going up to gap fill and maybe not have pulled the trigger when i did.and above that theres a dow gap about another 100 points away.
so i start scalping odd 1s and 2s( sometimes even less,sometimes a little more).each time i didnt take the odd 1 or 2,it would reverse into a loss and each time i did,and if id had held i would have had a few more.
so im taking the odd 1 or 2 and net ive run it to -140.finally having had enough 4hrs later and getting out net -5.as soon as i do the mofo sob drops another 15 points!
that dow gap did get filled after which the tide turned so i was more cautious.on mobile i would never have known it was even there.
now excuse me,im off to chop off my thumbs so i never trade on mobile again.

now i learn it was due to chinese rate cut.
technicals i can manage,its fundamentals that fk things up.
have a good weekend.i'll be back monday morningish to reaffirm my plans before any trades.

-14 on the week.
after a reasonable start,scalping away 1s and 2s eeking my way to about +50.then perhaps over confident and frustrated i give it all back in one day simply because i did not want to accept the stop i entered into the trade with(about 3 points.finally closing -30!)
managed to stay away from mobile trading for the most part.will cut this out totally from next week as i remind myself its not worth the odd scalp and usually results in a bigger loss because i have not got a clearer picture of what corresponding markets are doing.oh and then the pain of sitting with family, glued to phone trying to hide anger of losses!
think i might also drop euro and focus just on ftse.master that first.euro is far more volatile and especially around news,which i do try to stay away from but sometimes you do get caught up in it.
having said that ftse can still act up!
now taking printouts of trades and noticing more the same mistakes im not only making but repeating!
will be focusing on eliminating them next week.and will miss trades where the set up is not quite right rather than enter for lack of better reason than boredom
as a quote says 'the hardest thing to do,is nothing'

sat thinking about my trading and i find im always berating myself for fking up in one way or another as my p&l is still in the red.but here now im going to focus on the little things i am doing a little better
1) not trading on a sunday night as soon as markets open
2)not trading in bed
3)not trading on mobile
(ok the above not 100% eliminated but by atleast 95%)
4)not being caught out by news(atleast not scheduled news)
5)not being caught out by dividend payments,roll charges,increased spreads
these little incremental changes will pay dividends in the long run.

now i could make up many more rules or i could ignore them all if i just learned to accept my stops,which i am getting better at identifying.
one more thing comes to mind which id like to share.this is definitely part of the holy grail.now say your bias is short,you would go short right? well guess what,go long! and use your stop where your bias changes.and as im sure its been said many times before,get in as close as you can to your stop.
common sense but not always easy to do and then have the discipline to accept that stop!
any questions?

Yeah. I didn't read the whole thread, so my questions would be:

a) when was the first time you ever placed a trade?
b) are you up on your original investment since then?

very good question.
i was drawn to spread betting by an advert i saw in a daily paper(around 2003)
it read(something along the lines),you wake up one morning and read vodaphone is doing well so place an up bet at £20 per point.half an hour later you ring your broker and vodaphone is trading up 20 points and close out for a £400 profit.(conversely if it had gone down you would be £400 in loss.spreadbetting carries risk,do not risk more than you can afford,terms and conditions apply blah blah blah)
so i ended up buying a course for about £400,vince stanziones millionaire traders.
giving me the basics of spread betting.
but i didnt have a clue how the markets worked.sure i knew you buy stocks and then when they go up you sell them for profit and make a killing but i thought that was for (so called)professionals working in the city who did this full time for a living and had access to all the market data.where was i going to get all this information to base my decisions on?
so instead i was drawn to spread betting on football!
started betting on first match goal.something easy to understand.something i could see right before my very eyes live on tv.
i thought theres 20 players on the field trying to score a goal and surely one of these highly paid players should be able to atleast in the first half hour.the spread was usually around say 35-37 and i usually sold.
how fking wrong was i! those useless bast**** couldnt score for shi*
i soon realised i wasnt going to make my fortune spreadbetting football and that it was just a pure gamble.however i didnt lose much and think i broke about even.
one memorable bet i placed was on an england game at £20pp and owen scored in 3 mins winning me about £700
but as i say i realised this was a pure gamble for me,i had no control over the outcome and no longer do that.
my first financial spread bet was northern fking rock!(2007)
the shares were around £12 dropped to £10 and i can remember this CUN* saying they have got to be a buy now
dropped to £8 and im thinking an even better buy now
dropped to £5 and im itching to get in
nothing had dropped this far without going back up
dropped to £4 and i call up broker and buy at £5pp(which was minimum at time)
the ******** keep falling
im down £100
£300
how can they keep falling,its got to go up
im down £500
and finally throw in the towel losing about 1k.
not a very good first foray into the world of spreadbetting.
but i learned a very important lesson,nothing is ever too cheap or too high to buy or sell(a conundrum i know!)
and as you know northern rock went to zero.
i returned to spreadbetting seriously in 2010,how serious is questionable as i didnt even have live charts and was using yahoo, placing trades on nothing more than on a whim.i didnt even know i had access to live charts through my broker until about the end of nov 2010.
doesnt time fly.i'll have to come back to this and bring you up to date on the journey thus far.
if anyone wants vince stanziones millionaire traders for a bargain price make me an offer i cannot refuse!

i cant believe northern rock was my first ever spread bet.i really thought i had placed some trades before then but on checking,it appears so.
and the conundrum turns out not to be such a conundrum.the lesson learned is nothing is too low to sell or too high to buy.

CLOSE YOUR ACCOUNT WITH YOUR BROKER!
and reopen them.call it paranoia or whatever but i wouldnt be surprised if they had programs running in the background which have built up a picture of your trading patterns.its the only conclusion i can come up with as to why luck always seems to be on their side while i am left cursing it to high heaven.
why are my shorts always filled at the bottom of the candle.why are my longs always filled at the top.
why is another brokers price,which would be a couple of points better in my favour yet my brokers is lagging but is quick to go the other way when going against me.why does my screen freeze when the price is going my way and then comes back to life as soon as it reverts.how is it that as soon as ive closed out a trade,a blink of an eye later the price would have been a few points better.yet as i held and held and held it wasnt going anywhere but against me.
but we battle on.i write this to keep from placing a trade before the ecb!

i didnt answer the question properly.
lets just say my education has cost me 10k thus far.i think ive reached critical mass and now it will start reversing!

ive been avoiding tallying up last years results.i usually force myself to spend hours going through each trade and working out how many i won/lost/drew and average win/loss and then the final net win or loss but i cant be arsed as i know the net result which i'll share............
last year i lost about £3k.my number of winning trades were probably atleast 3:1 but where i fked up again was letting my losses run and adding to them resulting in probably my losses being 10:1
the better and more confident i think i get,the more i seem to have lost.and i can say understand why.ive never had a complete strategy or fully followed the one i had.
and the loss ive had is mainly due to about half a dozen blow outs ive had over the year but i can say ive managed to wrestle back losses which would equally have been blowouts in about 60-70% of cases.
those were the ones that got away this time!
alas all is about to change this year,i will no longer be making some of the same stupid mistakes i made repeatedly last year.
1)no trading sunday night opens or any nights.i'll put in a few hours during the regular uk open hours and then close out and be refreshed for the next day.and as i get better and disciplened to work a proper full shift from perhaps say 8-16.30 (unlike today for instance i did from 13.00-15.00

gtg i'll get back to this later