Question about the open range breakout!

myownceo727

20 0
Sorry for the newbie question but when trading opening gaps for the emini s&p aka /ES what time do you start looking for the the range to start forming?

is it the entire range from when the session started trading the previous day or is there a certain time traders look at?

cmedaytrader

38 0
The opening range normally refers to a set short time from the open. I forget off hand, something like the first 3o seconds or minute and a half. However, I doubt you'll find much success with it.

The gap would usually refer to the 4:15 pm close of the previous day and the 9:30 am price. Both times are EST.

BataviaTrader

94 5
I once read that the first trading hour after opening is called 'amateur hour'. You trade it you find out quickly why that is.

hgh

133 1
basically, thousands and thousands people try to find money in this market through the last hundred years, most of them are clever, so take care of the trading~ It won't be so easy to earn something in it.

Mr O

40 9
I once read that the first trading hour after opening is called 'amateur hour'. You trade it you find out quickly why that is.
What this guy said. No need to go firing off all your ammo in the first hour. Let the market establish itself for the session and it will tell you what it wants to do.

BataviaTrader

94 5
Exactly. I believe at opening the big boys step in and clip 500 contracts for the day. I do not have the illusion I will survive with my lousy 1-2 contracts. So I sit back, watch it, and think it over.