question about support and resistance

mobyrne

Hi everyone.

Came across something that I am having difficulty understanding.
what is a window of no resistance and how would you identify it

Hi everyone.

Came across something that I am having difficulty understanding.
sounds like some bs term used to make readers think there is some advanced analysis going on when there isn't.

My guess would be that it's an area where resistance could be expected (ie. derived from previous price action) but is not observed. So, you'd trade the area like a pivot. The use of the word 'window' rather than 'level' suggests that it is constrained by time as well as price. Again, I must stress, this is just a guess!

My guess would be that it's an area where resistance could be expected (ie. derived from previous price action) but is not observed. So, you'd trade the area like a pivot. The use of the word 'window' rather than 'level' suggests that it is constrained by time as well as price. Again, I must stress, this is just a guess!
The opposite surely?!

a window of no resistance...a window of opportunity
is an area on the chart where there is no resistance, or as you say Dowser could reasonably be expected as having no resistance
how would you identify it..well in the same way as you would identify resistance, that area on the chart is free of it

this is for @mobyrne rather yourself Dowser
if i were entering at the blue arrows, and based on previous pivots, i might conclude that resistance was at the dotted red lines, my "window of no resistance" would be this green area
and naturally the red line did become resistance for a short time, before continuing on its merry way. it was a cherry picked example of course
now you could argue some points on this chart might have been support , and therefore should have been future resistance but thats irrelevant as its just serving a purpose to explain how i came to conclude it was a window.
my window of opportunity
1605567060168.png

The opposite surely?!

is an area on the chart where there is no resistance, or as you say Dowser could reasonably be expected as having no resistance
how would you identify it..well in the same way as you would identify resistance, that area on the chart is free of it

if i were entering at the blue arrows, and based on previous pivots, i might conclude that resistance was at the dotted red lines, my "window of no resistance" would be this green area
and naturally the red line did become resistance for a short time, before continuing on its merry way. it was a cherry picked example of course
now you could argue some points on this chart might have been support , and therefore should have been future resistance but thats irrelevant as its just serving a purpose to explain how i came to conclude it was a window.
my window of opportunity
View attachment 291259

Thank you for the explanation but the book further states that "look for windows with no support or resistance, once price gets inside this window you have break out potential. That makes no sense. any explanations?

Thank you for the explanation but the book further states that "look for windows with no support or resistance, once price gets inside this window you have break out potential. That makes no sense. any explanations?
Imho, the greater context makes more sense:

"When I look at daily charts, I am looking for windows with no support and resistance. I know
when the price action gets inside that window, we have breakout potential and the price can
squeeze to the top or bottom of the window."

In the following para he sez:
"What is the difference between a trigger and a resistance level? Technically, a trigger is a potential
resistance level, but the difference between calling it resistance and calling it a trigger is based
on how much room it has until the next resistance level. A resistance level that has a large
window of no resistance above it, is called a trigger. A window on a chart must be larger than
the Average True Range (ATR) of the stock in order for me to consider it significant."

Determining whether there is indeed Support or Resistance is dependant on TF , chart type and your chosen interpretation approach.

From "Windows and Triggers" section - p.60?

How to Day Trade
A Detailed Guide to Day Trading Strategies,
Risk Management, and Trader Psychology
Ross Cameron

The opposite surely?!

my window of opportunity
View attachment 291259
Yes, on reflection and with a bit more info, I think you're right

Imho, the greater context makes more sense:

"When I look at daily charts, I am looking for windows with no support and resistance. I know
when the price action gets inside that window, we have breakout potential and the price can
squeeze to the top or bottom of the window."

In the following para he sez:
"What is the difference between a trigger and a resistance level? Technically, a trigger is a potential
resistance level, but the difference between calling it resistance and calling it a trigger is based
on how much room it has until the next resistance level. A resistance level that has a large
window of no resistance above it, is called a trigger. A window on a chart must be larger than
the Average True Range (ATR) of the stock in order for me to consider it significant."

Determining whether there is indeed Support or Resistance is dependant on TF , chart type and your chosen interpretation approach.

From "Windows and Triggers" section - p.60?

How to Day Trade
A Detailed Guide to Day Trading Strategies,
Risk Management, and Trader Psychology
Ross Cameron
could you provide me with an example of what you would consider it to be.

could you provide me with an example of what you would consider it to be.
In terms of your original general question, I don't think that anything I could post would be an improvement on the above example chart of 1invest.

Perhaps if you would identify for which aspects in particular you 'd like clarification then you might get some more specifically helpful answers.

....and FXX is absolutely right - this idea is not rocket science but if most trading book authors were to précis their books to remove the hype and padding they'd be reduced to a few sides of A4:)