Quelle surprise, UK still in recession

Network Rail? They only seem to be admitting to 1800 for now, but no one much seems to believe them.

sorry bud, should be 3,000, they only employ 13,000..:eek: but this is the article which spooked my interest

Rail union leaders warned today of industrial action at Network Rail after claiming that the firm was threatening to sack its entire maintenance workforce of 13,000 and re-employ a reduced number on new terms and conditions. The Rail Maritime and Transport union (RMT) said the move was aimed at "bulldozing" through a multibillion-pound cuts package. The union claimed the threat to sack the workforce, who carry out day-to-day maintenance of tracks, signals and overhead lines, was made during talks with RMT representatives.
The RMT said NR was already aiming to get rid of 2,500 jobs, 1,800 permanent staff and 700 contractors, which amounted to nearly 20% of the maintenance workforce.
RMT general secretary Bob Crow wrote to Network Rail chief executive Iain Coucher today demanding that the "mass dismissal" threat be withdrawn.
"It defies belief that the entire workforce of 13,000 staff who keep our rail network safe are being threatened with the sack in one hit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...strike-action-over-sacking-fears-1807837.html

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry bud, should be 3,000, they only employ 13,000..:eek: but this is the article which spooked my interest
Reminds me of the old joke:
"How many people work here?"
"Oh...around half of them I'd say".

Rail union leaders warned today of industrial action at Network Rail after claiming that the firm was threatening to sack its entire maintenance workforce of 13,000 and re-employ a reduced number on new terms and conditions. The Rail Maritime and Transport union (RMT) said the move was aimed at "bulldozing" through a multibillion-pound cuts package. The union claimed the threat to sack the workforce, who carry out day-to-day maintenance of tracks, signals and overhead lines, was made during talks with RMT representatives.
The RMT said NR was already aiming to get rid of 2,500 jobs, 1,800 permanent staff and 700 contractors, which amounted to nearly 20% of the maintenance workforce.
RMT general secretary Bob Crow wrote to Network Rail chief executive Iain Coucher today demanding that the "mass dismissal" threat be withdrawn.
"It defies belief that the entire workforce of 13,000 staff who keep our rail network safe are being threatened with the sack in one hit.
Thanks for that. Sounds all too believable unfortunately.

Well since this government is fairly pro-European, I wish they'd simply hand the whole lot over to Deutsche Bahn. And while they are at it, tie that smiling beardy to a track somewhere.

DB already own the biggest rail-freight firm, two TOCs, half of London overground, and are bidding for Tyne and Wear Metro, according to Private Eye this week. As the Eye puts it, Labour's bid to privatise Britain's most punctual trains has backfired. All the private bidders have failed to make the grade, leaving the existing operator and DB, who are publicly owned (but not by us).