Queen's Gambit

1nvest

Established member
Ok, so who has watched the netflix series The Queen's Gambit?
I thought it was amazing, couldn't stop watching it. Mainly because i used to play chess, so the whole dramatisation of it was right up my street
so what did I do? i went on to chess.com as noone in my house plays although i've begun teaching my 6 year old
man, was that a bad idea. not just teaching my 6 year old, but it just dawned on me just how bad i am!

anybody else thought they'd dust off the old king and queen and start playing again after watching it?

One my list to watch. Really want to get into chess actually, I know what all the pieces do, but i need to read up on some strategy! Last time I played I got done in 5 moves

Great game, there are a few of us on chess.com all the time.
I wouldn't worry too much about learning strategies at this stage, just get games under your belt. You will soon learn from mistakes and what not to do, then build from there!

Great game, there are a few of us on chess.com all the time.
I wouldn't worry too much about learning strategies at this stage, just get games under your belt. You will soon learn from mistakes and what not to do, then build from there!

Nice, will join up today

Ok, so who has watched the netflix series The Queen's Gambit?
Just finished watching last night, great production and acting, excellent!
Dunno how the director managed to persuade the money-men that there was an opportunity here... "Hey guys, lend us a mil or 2, I want to film long scenes of 2 people staring at a board". "No that's not all, sometimes she stares at the ceiling too"....
My chess is lousy, but time to teach the sprogs I think.

On my list to watch as well!
I play occasionally on-line, to keep the old brain ticking.
There is also a YT channel "Chess with Suren" where he goes through games, and analyses them.
Not too long, and keeps it fast and light.
I suppose if it encourages more people to play, then that's a plus.

Suggestion:

Watch 'Searching for Bobby Fischer' aka 'Innocent Moves'

A superb drama film loosely based on real life events, with chess.

'silly chess thing' .... 'just a game' No, he plays chess.

Father to schoolteacher dismissing boy's chess playing as a passing fad ...
"He's better at this than I've ever been at anything in my life. He's better at this than you'll ever be, at anything."
"My son has a gift. He has a gift, and when you acknowledge that, then maybe we will have something to talk about."

(y)

glad to see i'm not alone then. have we ever thought of having a little chess comp then on chess.com?
who's up for that? we have enough to make it a semi finals at least..
give me a thumbs up if you're interested, and then i'll schedule something for the new year.
give us time to all study the opening moves of bobby :unsure:

glad to see i'm not alone then. have we ever thought of having a little chess comp then on chess.com?
who's up for that? we have enough to make it a semi finals at least..
give me a thumbs up if you're interested, and then i'll schedule something for the new year.
give us time to all study the opening moves of bobby :unsure:
And why not indeed?
(y)
But if I get beaten in 10 mins by your 6 year old, I'm gonna sulk big time :ROFLMAO:

MOC

That's the only time I will make it to the semi-finals of chess then:)

Depends if you include these guys.
Might have Quarter Finalists to contend with too !

Depends if you include these guys.
Might have Quarter Finalists to contend with too !

cheers CV, I'll reach out to the protagonists on here also