Puzzles

That is a good one. Answer really does take some divergent thinking. I like it. :)

Cheers,
PKFFW

On a wall are 3 standard on/off switches. One (and only one) controls a light bulb inside a light-tight, well-insulated closet. The other two switches do nothing. You can only open the closet door once, and cannot touch/change any switches after the door is open (or re-closed, for that matter). Damaging or disassembling the door, walls, or switches is against the rules.

Within these constraints, can you determine with certainty which switch controls the light bulb?

Not sure I'm reading this right, so may I ask, are you allowed to operate any/all of the switches as many times as you like before you open the door ?

dd

That is a good one. Answer really does take some divergent thinking. I like it. :)

Cheers,
PKFFW

Yes, I agree, it's already becoming one of my favourites.

If you have more of those, keep them coming new_trader ;)

Years ago there was Kevin in his anorak on the number 6 platform of Reading Central thoroughly enjoying his favourite hobby of trainspotting. He remembers in the good old days of steam trains that if the train was going East at 50mph and the wind was going West at 20 mph then the net speed of the smoke would be 30 mph going East. Just to test his theory while he is waiting for the new intercity electric train he measures the wind velocity to be 10 mph from the North East. The train pulls in and proceeds South West at 40 mph - which way will the steam be and travelling at what speed ?

electric train
:oops:
Can we assume there's a very large kettle in the buffet car?
Besides, steam is invisible. He must mean water vapour. :whistling Someone punch me.

Years ago there was Kevin in his anorak on the number 6 platform of Reading Central thoroughly enjoying his favourite hobby of trainspotting. He remembers in the good old days of steam trains that if the train was going East at 50mph and the wind was going West at 20 mph then the net speed of the smoke would be 30 mph going East. Just to test his theory while he is waiting for the new intercity electric train he measures the wind velocity to be 10 mph from the North East. The train pulls in and proceeds South West at 40 mph - which way will the steam be and travelling at what speed ?

How many people are on the train and what is the diameter of its wheels?

You guys are much too clever for such a simple one !

Here is another
If there are 2 men in a room and 2 doors. One door leads to heaven and the other to hell but you dont know which is which. All you know for sure is that one man always tells the truth and the other always lies.
You have just 1 question to just 1 man to find the right door to heaven
What would the question be ?

You guys are much too clever for such a simple one !

Here is another
If there are 2 men in a room and 2 doors. One door leads to heaven and the other to hell but you dont know which is which. All you know for sure is that one man always tells the truth and the other always lies.
You have just 1 question to just 1 man to find the right door to heaven
What would the question be ?

My answer:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/385475-post2.html

How's your cooking NT ?

At the local mid-summers fayre, four ladies are planning to delight the visitors with their speciality cakes. Mrs Archer will make a chocolate cake. Neither Mrs Bowness, Louise nor Kay Cook propose to make a vanilla cake. Julie, who is not Mrs Dancer, will make coffee. Mary will not make a plain one. You need to find their full names and who plans to make which cake.

A piece of cake for you geniouses

:sleep:

On a wall are 3 standard on/off switches. One (and only one) controls a light bulb inside a light-tight, well-insulated closet. The other two switches do nothing. You can only open the closet door once, and cannot touch/change any switches after the door is open (or re-closed, for that matter). Damaging or disassembling the door, walls, or switches is against the rules.

Within these constraints, can you determine with certainty which switch controls the light bulb?
Here's my answer: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/385627-post6.html

How's your cooking NT ?

At the local mid-summers fayre, four ladies are planning to delight the visitors with their speciality cakes. Mrs Archer will make a chocolate cake. Neither Mrs Bowness, Louise nor Kay Cook propose to make a vanilla cake. Julie, who is not Mrs Dancer, will make coffee. Mary will not make a plain one. You need to find their full names and who plans to make which cake.

A piece of cake for you geniouses

:sleep:

That's basically a simplified version of the well-known 'Einstein riddle'. Yours is be too easy for all us geniuses here :p

Last edited:
Another one to keep things rolling. Also a bit of 'lateral' thinking needed:

There are three houses next to each other (let's call them H1, H2 and H3).
Each house needs water, gas, and electricity. However, the cables that provide each house with the necessary water/gas/electricity cannot intersect. Next to that, one house may not tap from another house's line.

People who know something about graph theory are not allowed to participate :p

Attachments

• houses.PNG
    houses.PNG
    4.9 KB · Views: 244
Does the gas, water and electricity need to start from where you have them drawn in your diagram?

Cheers,
PKFFW

Does the gas, water and electricity need to start from where you have them drawn in your diagram?

Cheers,
PKFFW

Not sure what you mean... but the water/gas/electricity 'pipes' (lines on a paper) are allowed to start from any direction. However, the utilities themself are placed at the opposite of each house. The order of which has no meaning. So if you place gas first and water last, that's all the same. Hope this makes sense.

You must solve this on a single piece of paper. But how the paper looks, how big it is,... that's all up to you. Not that this will necessarily make any difference.

Last edited: