Puzzles

I'll be the first to admit I didn't notice any of the other changes at all. :)

I'll be the first to admit I didn't notice any of the other changes at all. :)

I'll be the second to admit it :)

What strikes me most is they turned the background into red and the shirt of the woman green. They are very bright colours as opposed to the original ones.

Does the gas, water and electricity need to start from where you have them drawn in your diagram?

Cheers,
PKFFW

Have you given the puzzle some more thought?

Meantime... I found another challenging one:

Two hourglasses: one a 4-minute glass and the other a 7-minute one. You want to measure 9 minutes. How can this be done? (yes it can be done without cheating).

Have you given the puzzle some more thought?

Meantime... I found another challenging one:

Two hourglasses: one a 4-minute glass and the other a 7-minute one. You want to measure 9 minutes. How can this be done? (yes it can be done without cheating).
I got sidetracked with some personal things and haven't given it much thought. However I will admit that I wasn't having much luck at all when I was focused on it. :(

As for this one, I will work on and see if I can't figure it out.

Cheers,
PKFFW

Another one to keep things rolling. Also a bit of 'lateral' thinking needed:

There are three houses next to each other (let's call them H1, H2 and H3).
Each house needs water, gas, and electricity. However, the cables that provide each house with the necessary water/gas/electricity cannot intersect. Next to that, one house may not tap from another house's line.

People who know something about graph theory are not allowed to participate :p

I get the impression this is a trick question. You say "There are three houses next to each other", which does not necessarily mean side by side. So, can the houses be drawn in 3D space on an X,Y,Z axis?

Yeah the only way I can come up with to solve the puzzle is if it's done in 3D. There seems to be no way to do it in 2D. Least not to me.

Cheers,
PKFFW

I get the impression this is a trick question. You say "There are three houses next to each other", which does not necessarily mean side by side. So, can the houses be drawn in 3D space on an X,Y,Z axis?

Well, I can't really answer that question without giving the answer away. (Although by saying that I probably already have done so).

I still think you should try solving it on a piece of paper.

Yeah the only way I can come up with to solve the puzzle is if it's done in 3D. There seems to be no way to do it in 2D. Least not to me.

Cheers,
PKFFW

That pretty much covers it yes... so can you show me how to draw the lines on a piece of paper without folding it? The torus solution is one way, but that's too obvious now that everybody is thinking in 3D.

That pretty much covers it yes... so can you show me how to draw the lines on a piece of paper without folding it? The torus solution is one way, but that's too obvious now that everybody is thinking in 3D.
I have no idea what the torus solution is! lol

As for how to do it on a piece of paper.........no. I just figured it had to have something to do with folding the paper to make a 3d box or something and draw the lines around the outside and inside etc so they don't cross.

I have no idea what the torus solution is! lol

As for how to do it on a piece of paper.........no. I just figured it had to have something to do with folding the paper to make a 3d box or something and draw the lines around the outside and inside etc so they don't cross.

I posted the link to the torus solution in the other thread. And I just added instructions for the "paper" solution ;)

I posted the link to the torus solution in the other thread. And I just added instructions for the "paper" solution ;)

For some reason I can't upload images, It is saying the image is not a valid format. (Maybe it knows my solution is wrong):(

But I'm sticking with my 3D answer and will post it when possible :mad:

For some reason I can't upload images, It is saying the image is not a valid format. (Maybe it knows my solution is wrong):(

But I'm sticking with my 3D answer and will post it when possible :mad:

Your 3D answer is very neat. Nice drawing too.
There isn't any 2D answer, but I've provided some comments on the matter here, to illustrate what I meant with the "write it on a piece of paper solution".

Yeah I thought about wrapping the lines around the paper but never thought about cutting a hole in the middle. Without that doughnut like hole there seems to be no way to do it.

Oh well, I know I'm never going to get them all! hahaha

Cheers,
PKFFW

The King of Puzzles

from an article publised in "The Guardian" 1999

......... codebreakers who are looking for the ultimate challenge might like to tackle an, as yet, uncracked code from the 19th century. Whoever unravels the so-called Beale ciphers will earn a reward of over £10 million in gold, silver and jewels.

The story of the Beale ciphers begins in January 1820, when a stranger by the name of Thomas J. Beale rode into the town of Lynchburg, Virginia, and checked himself into the Washington Hotel.

This is a fascinating and maybe true story

The whole story can be found at The Beale Treasure

Einstein riddle

no it's not :)
I don't want to spoil it by giving away the answer, for those that want to keep searching, so I sent you a PM with the answer.

Please send to me I have some very clever friends who love such riddles and would like to stump them as they normally do to me!
Thanks

The King of Puzzles

from an article publised in "The Guardian" 1999

......... codebreakers who are looking for the ultimate challenge might like to tackle an, as yet, uncracked code from the 19th century. Whoever unravels the so-called Beale ciphers will earn a reward of over £10 million in gold, silver and jewels.

The story of the Beale ciphers begins in January 1820, when a stranger by the name of Thomas J. Beale rode into the town of Lynchburg, Virginia, and checked himself into the Washington Hotel.

This is a fascinating and maybe true story

The whole story can be found at The Beale Treasure

The code should be crackable because the code uses quite a lot of the same numbers more than once.
Can't do it myself but maybe some clever fellow can ??

( better do it before they cover the area with ground penetrating radar )

Been two months since some action here... thought I'd offer a new challenge :)

Attachments

• triangles.gif
    triangles.gif
    81.9 KB · Views: 322