Prop trainee/junior trader job

willfordmf

I am looking for a trainee/junior trader job in a prop house.

I am 23, have a foundation degree in computer science from Durham Uni, 3 months experience with M&G investment as an apprentice fund manager and 2/3 years of sales experience.
I've been looking for about 5 months and found only crap, dodgy places gagging to offer jobs for some scam they are running.
I've ended up taking a head hunting job working with IB's to try and get contacts but the level is far above what I am looking for.

I have been trading on my own for about 4 years, mainly comds spreads but with not much time on my to monitor positions I've taken to risk arbitrage on mergers to make some money on the side making a steady 10-15% roi.

I don't have the capital to quit my job and go it alone and I'm wanting be on a trading floor where I can learn from the other trades and a training program to improve.

If anyone has any help or advise I would be very grateful.

If I were you I would apply to every Graduate Program you can possibly find. If you don't have at least a 1st class Degree then you may find it very hard. Be proactive and educate yourself more, do the IMC or RDR level 4 as this will stand you in great stead.
If you have the money however the best way to get in fast is to do a Master's in Financial Mathematics/Signal Processing/Econometrics. You will have recruiters queing up to give you a job then.

I am looking for a trainee/junior trader job in a prop house.

I am 23, have a foundation degree in computer science from Durham Uni, 3 months experience with M&G investment as an apprentice fund manager and 2/3 years of sales experience.
I've been looking for about 5 months and found only crap, dodgy places gagging to offer jobs for some scam they are running.
I've ended up taking a head hunting job working with IB's to try and get contacts but the level is far above what I am looking for.

I have been trading on my own for about 4 years, mainly comds spreads but with not much time on my to monitor positions I've taken to risk arbitrage on mergers to make some money on the side making a steady 10-15% roi.

I don't have the capital to quit my job and go it alone and I'm wanting be on a trading floor where I can learn from the other trades and a training program to improve.

If anyone has any help or advise I would be very grateful.

Sales trader roles at spread betting and FX firms is a good route in to City trading rooms.

The training that companies like IG Group put their front line staff through is very impressive and it is thorough enough for the lower and mid tier banks / investment houses to find these people attractive enough to hire for junior trading or sales positions once they have a few years experience under their belts.

The major S/B firms have plenty of choice when they are recruiting but you would still have more chance of getting an interview or job at CMC than Morgan Stanley.

Having a profitable trading record doesn't really count for much. The genuine trading firms will have so many systems running their risk that human sentiment is more often a hinderance.

Good luck I hope it all works out for you. If you can land yourself a job with a company that pays you well to work on a trading floor I'd highly recommend it.