Programming my setups - COMPLETE BEGINNER

Trader333

8,581 920
I'd be interested to hear why you think C# might be a better alternative to Python?
I would guess they are thinking of speed and versatility and that NinjaTrader does not allow interaction with Python but C# does. It depends on what basic platform you intend using to execute trades so have you decided yet on which one you wish to use ?

Reactions: userque

Big_P

83 15
I would guess they are thinking of speed and versatility and that NinjaTrader does not allow interaction with Python but C# does. It depends on what basic platform you intend using to execute trades so have you decided yet on which one you wish to use ?
In the past, I've used Ninjatrader through a US broker, but more recently I've transferred my account to Interactive Brokers. To be honest, I haven't got as far as subscribing to a futures feed yet, I've just been getting used to TWS platform by buying some UK shares and playing around with the charting etc.

I guess when I know my way around and feel comfortable, I'll move back into futures and subscribe to whichever Level 2 platform that IB offers...

userque

51 7
Well as I mentioned, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the coding side of things. I'm trying to build my knowledge.

I'd be interested to hear why you think C# might be a better alternative to Python?
I mentioned C# because that's the language NT uses, and you said you used NT previously.

NT also has a natural language, language. Where you don't need to know how to code, if you weren't aware.

Finally, NT will handle interfacing with your broker.

I only recommended C# in the context of using it for NT strategies. If you are going pure programming language, then Python may be easier ... depending on the uniqueness of your strategy and whether it demands fast processing.

Reactions: Big_P and Trader333

poppa4x

2 0
I mentioned C# because that's the language NT uses, and you said you used NT previously.

NT also has a natural language, language. Where you don't need to know how to code, if you weren't aware.

I only recommended C# in the context of using it for NT strategies. If you are going pure programming language, then Python may be easier ... depending on the uniqueness of your strategy and whether it demands fast processing.
If I may throw a comment into the ring as far as C# and MT is concerned even though it is slightly off topic.
If you create a DLL with C# to use with MT4 then the DLL cannot be encrypted or obfuscated. This means that the DLL code will be available to anyone who knows how to get it.

Cheers

Pat494

Legendary member
14,370 1,501
I suggest you talk to an expert trader BEFORE parting with megabucks of money. What may seem like a brilliant idea all too often doesn't produce profits. Without profits is useless and worthless.
Don't worry about the programmer stealing your ideas. He may be able to make that difference to make it profitable. The markets are so large that your programmer's activities are NOT likely to affect you. So get him to do the whole programme especially as you are a beginner.

Reactions: Big_P

Big_P

83 15

I'm interested in your comment about fast processing.

I am assuming that unless someone's strategy involves High Frequency Trading which requires orders going through in micro seconds, then this won't be an issue?

When I'm trading myself, the order goes through with the click of a mouse but the occasional small delay/slip doesn't change much, so surely I don't need to worry about this happening if/when my strategy gets coded?

Big P

userque

51 7
I'm interested in your comment about fast processing.

I am assuming that unless someone's strategy involves High Frequency Trading which requires orders going through in micro seconds, then this won't be an issue?

When I'm trading myself, the order goes through with the click of a mouse but the occasional small delay/slip doesn't change much, so surely I don't need to worry about this happening if/when my strategy gets coded?

Big P
Depends on the strategy.

If the strategy uses some types of machine learning, for example, it may do a lot of number crunching.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock