Profiting from Inflation

Nowler

Experienced member
Hey folks!

Obviously, investing is how to beat inflation.
If you stay in cash, then that cash gets eaten away over time... whereas investing that money either reduces this erosion, or better again exceeds the rate of inflation, in which case it grows!

My question is... what sort investments excel with higher inflation? Directly or indirectly.

Or more specifically, I would like to her peoples view on what the best investments would be in our current calm before the storm. Because you can't print this much money and not expect to feel the wrath of inflation :)

Commodities is the obvious investment I guess

Or more specifically, I would like to her peoples view on what the best investments would be in our current calm before the storm. Because you can't print this much money and not expect to feel the wrath of inflation :)

Commodities is the obvious investment I guess

IMHO: You're asking this question about 5 -10 years too late. This ‘current’ situation has been in the making for years. It’s like thinking about lifeboats after the Titanic has hit the iceberg rather than when it was being built.

Going into debt, buying property, speculating on commodities is not something you ought to be doing now; you should be preparing how to survive what comes next.

I am not sure how you can remain so confident you will still have a job in 6 months time. I get the impression you think this crisis is only going to affect everyone else while you ponder how to ’profit’ from it.

A simple question: Could you survive being unemployed for 6 months without any assistance from the Government? If the answer is ‘No’ then you have no business speculating on anything.

IMHO: You're asking this question about 5 -10 years too late. This ‘current’ situation has been in the making for years. It’s like thinking about lifeboats after the Titanic has hit the iceberg rather than when it was being built.

Going into debt, buying property, speculating on commodities is not something you ought to be doing now; you should be preparing how to survive what comes next.

I am not sure how you can remain so confident you will still have a job in 6 months time. I get the impression you think this crisis is only going to affect everyone else while you ponder how to ’profit’ from it.

A simple question: Could you survive being unemployed for 6 months without any assistance from the Government? If the answer is ‘No’ then you have no business speculating on anything.

Gold
Property
Debt

Thanks for the replies.
I guess my intentions here were to get a discussion going as to the pros and cons of one investment that excels during times of above normal inflation, over another investment that also excels during these times. Perhaps someone sees a problem with one such investment that isn't present in another. For example, if the arse was likely to fall out of property (granted this would become a great investment after the fact - but not a great place to have your money before and during).

More specifically to new_traders posts...
You very well may be right about me being 5-10 years too late thinking about this. Alas, I wasn't into trading/investing back then, but I am now and it's never too late to learn about something. Yes, there are more appropriate times than others, but we tend to swing in roundabouts. What's going around now, will come around again, in some form or another.

In regards to the fallout not affecting me, or me being in a job in 6 months:

I'm sure I will experience the impact of what will come. Everyone will... though some more than others.
That doesn't mean I am going to worry about it... what's the point? Whatever is going to happen, is going to happen. The best I can do is prepare for it and get ready for some unusual times. And providing it doesn't kill me, learn from it and use that understanding going forward.

I certainly hope I am still in a job in 6 months, don't we all :)
Thankfully, I am not as vulnerable as others, though if I was to be out of a job for 6 months, I would be in a real pickle. Thankfully, I don't have other mouths to feed, and I have not become accustom to having much in life. When you've got fuck all, you've got fuck all to lose

@Nowler :
Discussions on this topic in this forum, in my experience have proven to be utterly futile. You will find a few links in my journal that show this, see these Links to discussions. Spend time reading through them. My STRONGEST advice would be to learn as much as you can about the history of money from as many realiable, proven sources as possible.

In my opinion, the only people who actually ‘get’ what is happening in the financial world, and, who have accurately forecast events over the past 12 years that I’ve been studying their school, are the Austrian economists. They have many FREE resources available on their website - Mises Institute.

Learn about economics and make your own trading and investment decisions based on that sound understanding, anything else is pissing in the wind.

@Nowler :
Discussions on this topic in this forum, in my experience have proven to be utterly futile. You will find a few links in my journal that show this, see these Links to discussions. Spend time reading through them. My STRONGEST advice would be to learn as much as you can about the history of money from as many realiable, proven sources as possible.

In my opinion, the only people who actually ‘get’ what is happening in the financial world, and, who have accurately forecast events over the past 12 years that I’ve been studying their school, are the Austrian economists. They have many FREE resources available on their website - Mises Institute.

Learn about economics and make your own trading and investment decisions based on that sound understanding, anything else is pissing in the wind.

Cheers buddy.
I have read and seen a few videos on the history of money before, and I quite enjoyed most of them.
I saw one recently on the deal between the US and the Saudi's, where the latter agreed to price their oil in dollars.

Much prefer audio/videos over reading though :)
I'll have a look

Cheers buddy.
I have read and seen a few videos on the history of money before, and I quite enjoyed most of them.
I saw one recently on the deal between the US and the Saudi's, where the latter agreed to price their oil in dollars.

Much prefer audio/videos over reading though :)
I'll have a look

I recommend Tom Woods, he is medicine for people who have been infected with mainstream thinking.

@Nowler :

This is very ironic...

I was about to buy an Audiobook called "The fountainhead" from Ayn Rand: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Fo...f91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=D07Z71CZX0AAEYTSY939

... however, I notice that Ludwig Von Mises has a title similar:

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Ludwig...f91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=D07Z71CZX0AAEYTSY939

What are you thoughts?
I feel you may have a bias, but would still like to hear from you

TBH: I have heard and read a lot about Ayn Rand but I have not read any of her books. I think she writes mostly Philosophical works whereas LVM is a true economist. I'd go with the LVM book for sure. BUT, don't spend any money, there should be plenty of free material on the mises site. Been a while since I looked but check the YouTube channel.

BTW: I don't want you to think I am a hypocrite promoting Austrian Economics but too cheap to buy anything from them. They kindly made many of their printed books available FREE in pdf form and that's the material I was downloading and reading as well as watching their Free lectures. You mentioned you would rather listen than read and I am not sure if they have made audible versions of their books free.

I returned my gratitude to the Mises institute by making a donation to them.(y)

The FREE PDF books are still available and some with free audio versions.

Last edited:
Follow the Rothschilds they know what is happening and will be selling up at the top or re-investing at the bottom as they have been doing successfully for centuries.
The problem is as far as I know they don't tell the average Joe.

@Nowler
If you are a bit overwhelmed with all the material and don't know where to begin, try the bootcamp...it looks like a good place to begin.

@Nowler
If you are a bit overwhelmed with all the material and don't know where to begin, try the bootcamp...it looks like a good place to begin.

Sounds like a decent place to start I guess.
I drank over half a litre of Jameson last night and boooooy am I questioning my life decisions this morning!

Going to try get some food into me and will then sit down to have a watch of that video.

I wonder if I can trade my government allowed 30 mins walk for some paracetamol, lol

Follow the Rothschilds they know what is happening and will be selling up at the top or re-investing at the bottom as they have been doing successfully for centuries.

Didnt I hear a year or 2 ago that they moved all their investments away from the US?

There is something to this approach. I remember a few years ago, the Rockefeller Foundation announced it was selling all its oil investments. I thought it odd that a name so associated with oil would be selling all it assets. At he time oil was around $80/barrel. There was plenty of time to take advantage of the information. Oil has fallen ever since that announcement. Follow people in the know. Recently Berkshire Hathaway sold all its airline stocks. They are smart people with long investment horizons. Maybe this is worth looking into. What were they thinking?

There is something to this approach. I remember a few years ago, the Rockefeller Foundation announced it was selling all its oil investments. I thought it odd that a name so associated with oil would be selling all it assets. At he time oil was around $80/barrel. There was plenty of time to take advantage of the information. Oil has fallen ever since that announcement. Follow people in the know. Recently Berkshire Hathaway sold all its airline stocks. They are smart people with long investment horizons. Maybe this is worth looking into. What were they thinking?

Berkshire selling airline stocks is easy. Covid was killing that industry.

The Rothschilds selling oil however is more difficult to see from their point of view

With the Federal Reserve printing all this new stimulus money, it is natural to think that inflation will run rampant in the future. However, the smart people I listen to are talking about disinflation. In other words the dollar buys more in the future. They are concerned about debt repayment and the consequences of cascading effects of debt default and a shrinking economy. In other words "economic collapse". Investing for that would be a short sellers paradise.

If money is printed and distributed to people who do not need it, they will treat it like mad money and buy something not caring what price they pay for it. That is inflationary. But, if money is printed and distributed to people who are desperate to pay bills, the money will be adsorbed into the economy without inflationary pressure, but of course, the taxpayers will have to eventually pay the money back. To handle the repayment issue, we will entertain the idea of New Monetary Theory. Money is just an idea of confidence. We can print any amount indefinitely and never pay it back. Dollars are after all the reserve currency of the world. We can play that game so long as the rest of the world needs dollars to repay their loans or buy our products. But the game will end some day and we will pay one way or another with our assets.