Premium bonds

wasp

Legendary member
Does anyone have much experience with premium bonds?

A friends parents purchased 500 at the end of last year and have one nearly every month (various between £10 > £800). I've had 20 for about 20 years and never won a thing myself. Whilst I appreciate there is no guarantee I'll win, I was deliberating between moving some savings (just a few more than 20!) across into some.

Anyone here have a high amount of bonds but still not much luck?

I know several people with upto £30K in Premium bonds and they often dont win for months so I think your friends parents have been very lucky. Also the greedy Chancellor has just reduced the amount of prizes given out to boost his tax income much to the annoyance of everyone.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

its typical of Brown, I can appreciate and accept not winning for months but as for Brown, well...

One can but hope

wasp said:
Does anyone have much experience with premium bonds?

A friends parents purchased 500 at the end of last year and have one nearly every month (various between £10 > £800). I've had 20 for about 20 years and never won a thing myself. Whilst I appreciate there is no guarantee I'll win, I was deliberating between moving some savings (just a few more than 20!) across into some.

Anyone here have a high amount of bonds but still not much luck?
Wasp

I had only a couple of hundred pounds worth and never won anything. About 4 years ago I bought about 20k which was close to the maximum at that time (25 k I think was max). Since then I win on average £50 per month. No big deal - but for the month of July ..................

:D

Charlton

Charlton said:
Wasp

I had only a couple of hundred pounds worth and never won anything. About 4 years ago I bought about 20k which was close to the maximum at that time (25 k I think was max). Since then I win on average £50 per month. No big deal - but for the month of July ..................

:D

Charlton

Thats more than I make trading! :cheesy:

Premium Bonds are like any other item in your investment portfolio. If it does a specific job, use it. But even with the tax free winnings aspect for UK residents, it is unlikely to be attractive to many traders as it has a statistical annual rate of return just short of 4%.

As an aside, I wonder just how balanced most successful traders' portfolios are?

I am a seriously cautious trader, yet there is not much around that can match the returns I currently make on my trading activities. (I can't find any other way to say that...). I just wonder how much longer I'll need to confirm to myself this is a bankable and 'consistent' success.

With risk management that provides protection against any serious financial harm and this level of return, I am seriously considering how much longer it will be before I divest myself of owning anything other than the utilitarian and whimsical leaving the full balance for trading.

Does this make sense?

A relative of mine has had the full allocation of P/Bonds for up to 50 years. Observations are that the old numbers never come up, also that numbers in large blocks come up more frequently. She seems to get anything between 2 and 4% per annum. Perhaps the Govt figures that the people with the old numbers are unlikely to cash them in at this late stage, but newcomers need to be encouraged to keep them via winnings ? All FWIW.

rog1111