Preferred intra-day chart time periods

JTrader

Hello :!: :D

I have done some research into FX trading and the EUR/USD inparticular. I am undecided as to which time frame I prefer on a real-time chart. I am accustomed to using a 5 minute charts for UK stock trading, but have found that a 5 minute EUR/USD chart can look pretty untidy and that a 10 minute chart can seem to filter out a lot of the mess. However, a 1 minute chart can also look better than a 5 minute chart and so I am a bit unsure as to which time period I should go with.

What are your takes on intra-day chart time periods, and the different effects on trading entry signals (I.E. SMA 9 & 18) that different periods can have?

What period do you prefer and why?

Many thanks

jtrader

For intraday stuff I generally use 10min and 1 min charts. Just to confuse things sometimes I have an hourly chart up as well.

Why do I prefer these?? Not sure I just find they give the best results for my trading style.

Thanks adrianallen99

If I can just ask...........how and for what do you utilise the 1 minute, 10 minute and hourly charts?

Cheers.

I use the hourly chart to get a picture of the overall trend. The 10 minute chart I use with my indicators (Stochastics, Moving Averages, etc.) to tell me which direction Im going to trade and entry/exit signals. The 1 minute chart I just like to have up and just watch the short term price movements.