Preferred intra-day chart time periods

JTrader

5,741 506
Hello :!: :D

I have done some research into FX trading and the EUR/USD inparticular. I am undecided as to which time frame I prefer on a real-time chart. I am accustomed to using a 5 minute charts for UK stock trading, but have found that a 5 minute EUR/USD chart can look pretty untidy and that a 10 minute chart can seem to filter out a lot of the mess. However, a 1 minute chart can also look better than a 5 minute chart and so I am a bit unsure as to which time period I should go with.

What are your takes on intra-day chart time periods, and the different effects on trading entry signals (I.E. SMA 9 & 18) that different periods can have?

What period do you prefer and why?

Many thanks

jtrader

adrianallen99

Established member
630 4
For intraday stuff I generally use 10min and 1 min charts. Just to confuse things sometimes I have an hourly chart up as well.

Why do I prefer these?? Not sure I just find they give the best results for my trading style.

JTrader

5,741 506
Thanks adrianallen99

If I can just ask...........how and for what do you utilise the 1 minute, 10 minute and hourly charts?

Cheers.

adrianallen99

Established member
630 4
I use the hourly chart to get a picture of the overall trend. The 10 minute chart I use with my indicators (Stochastics, Moving Averages, etc.) to tell me which direction Im going to trade and entry/exit signals. The 1 minute chart I just like to have up and just watch the short term price movements.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock