Best Thread Potential setups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was standinng on the platform 5 at Kings Cross recently when the announcer said that the next train to arrive at Platform 5 would be the 5.20pm to Paradise. I thought, that's funny, I'm on Platform 5, so thinking that it was probably dangerous to remain on the platform I jumped for what I thought would be the relative safety of the track, only to be hit by the train. When will these announcers get the details right. Semantics I know but he definately said that the train would arrive at the platform not on the track!! (Doh!!)

Trader_Dante
I changed my name to post this .. Im not interested in a flame war but ...

I have been following your thread for a while and your MMT thread. I took the bund pin this morning because you said that you had been "waiting weeks for this" and "that thing is going to do its cheeks". Followed up by "This should be the easiest money you've ever made."
I realise that set-ups are only setups but when you make calls like that but I take the advice of more experienced traders on this thread. I even moved my stop out past 55 to avoid being taken out as you recommended.
I know trades don't always work and I'm not blaming anyone but myself, but it is really annoying for you then to say you did not even take the trade, even though both pins triggered.
Can you explain to me why you decided not to take the trade yet, and why you did not post the reason here?

Frustrated ...

IMO if you're looking to go short Bund you should not be in yet - first pins tail wasn't that hot plus it gave no indication of buy orders above resistance. Second pin tested resistance (although still not a perfect pin by any means - didn't go high enough above resistance) and you 'could' have gone short after that, bearing in mind that there's potential support directly below it. If you went short there you should still be in. Price is consolidating between the two levels at the moment - triangular continuatino pattern...so you could take the forming IB either way. Personaly I would have waited for retrace (which has now happened, test of the lower support and to see if the previous uptrend gets broken. Next hour or two should tell.

Edit....5 minute chart should show some clues now, I'm reckoning (though probably not trading this) that if prev low on 5 min gets broken it's going short....

Last edited:
Trader_Dante

I have been following your thread for a while and your MMT thread. I took the bund pin this morning because you said that you had been "waiting weeks for this" and "that thing is going to do its cheeks". Followed up by "This should be the easiest money you've ever made."
I realise that set-ups are only setups but when you make calls like that but I take the advice of more experienced traders on this thread. I even moved my stop out past 55 to avoid being taken out as you recommended.
I know trades don't always work and I'm not blaming anyone but myself, but it is really annoying for you then to say you did not even take the trade, even though both pins triggered.
Can you explain to me why you decided not to take the trade yet, and why you did not post the reason here?

Frustrated ...

Learn to trade yourself. Tips are tips, just that, no matter where it came from. I suggest you go back to learn the basic, books, artilcles, etc. There are a lot of good education sites mentioned somewhere else on this forum. When you have a grab at the basic then come here to ask & learn how the more experienced traders think to improve your trading skills, but DON"T just blindly follow them, you'll wipe out your account that way!

The reason is they posted their thinking here and that may be right at the moment. But the market is a dynamic beast and changes all the time. So when it happens there may be some other indicators or behaviors that invalidate their previous thinking. Therefore an one day old thinking is likely not a good one to follow anyrmore.

Doesn't matter. Even if there was a pin it'd have been ****, and you'd have been raped.

If you see one at say 4370 on the future, that'll be better.

Ok my bad. Was focussing too much on the minor resistance around 4350 that I totally missed the level at 4370. Cheers for the heads up.

IMO if you're looking to go short Bund you should not be in yet - first pins tail wasn't that hot plus it gave no indication of buy orders above resistance. Second pin tested resistance (although still not a perfect pin by any means - didn't go high enough above resistance) and you 'could' have gone short after that, bearing in mind that there's potential support directly below it. If you went short there you should still be in. Price is consolidating between the two levels at the moment - triangular continuatino pattern...so you could take the forming IB either way. Personaly I would have waited for retrace (which has now happened, test of the lower support and to see if the previous uptrend gets broken. Next hour or two should tell.

Edit....5 minute chart should show some clues now, I'm reckoning (though probably not trading this) that if prev low on 5 min gets broken it's going short....

Note - should say support on chart not resistance. I'm in a brain fug today.

Adding chart

Attachments

• img_12423144943990.gif
    img_12423144943990.gif
    26 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
gbpusd

Price indeed dropped 50pips from that previous swing hi zone at area circled with white, with the then confluence of the 38.2% fib of the 3550-5063 fall, now exceedced to the upside and the next level of a previous obvious imbalance of supply/demand=potential resistance on this 1hr chart. This area coincides with the 50% fib of the aforesaid move circled in yellow, and the confluence is again providing some resistance for entries timed on the t/f's below thaat the previous imbalances are visible on.

The first (lower former resistance area) or thereabouts might now provide support on a re-test (RBS,) should such a potential RBS area that may be obvious visible on time frames below it not do so.

Further near term previous obvious imblances are shown on the chat below

G/L

nce3j8.gif

Trader_Dante

Frustrated ...

Absolutely amazing! But you must know that already otherwise you would not have changed your name.
I think you are more cross with yourself than anyone else.

Last edited:
Trader_Dante

Frustrated ...

I think it's Dante having a bi-polar moment.

UsdJpy. Inside bars galore. Down we go, I reckon.

I've been waiting for some action on this pair. If it breaks downward it could keep running to about 9400 (next level on daily) for a very nice RR.

As I'm still new to IBs, I was wondering how you trade a setup where there are multiple IBs in a row? Do you place your order based on the first one?

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments

• USDJPYdaily.GIF
    USDJPYdaily.GIF
    30.1 KB · Views: 175
I've been waiting for some action on this pair. If it breaks downward it could keep running to about 9400 (next level on daily) for a very nice RR.

As I'm still new to IBs, I was wondering how you trade a setup where there are multiple IBs in a row? Do you place your order based on the first one?

Cheers,

Chris

I said this two days ago. Why do people keep stealing my set ups?

Cheers,

Chris

Someone else should answer this. I have a looser approach to stops than some. I'm already short from a while back, but if I was to trade this I'd put my stop above 96, sell order at 9535.

That's just me though. It does compromise the RR a bit.

USD/JPY -- Inside Bar

Cheers,

Chris

I`ve learned to play inside bar as you can see in the chart..

Sorry.. I play the first one!

Attachments

• USDJPY IB 140509.jpg
    USDJPY IB 140509.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Absolutely amazing! But you must know that already otherwise you would not have changed your name.
I think you are more cross with yourself than anyone else.

I am sorry for my sarcasm, it was not needed. Your post cries out to me RISK MANAGEMENT.

You seemed a little emotional about the trade. You probably already know this but we all need reminding sometimes. By using proper risk management no one failed trade should ever bother you. If it does then you should be trading a smaller percent of your account, (no matter how much of a sure thing you perceive the trade to be).

Kind Regards
Jason

I am sorry for my sarcasm, it was not needed. Your post cries out to me RISK MANAGEMENT.

You seemed a little emotional about the trade. You probably already know this but we all need reminding sometimes. By using proper risk management no one failed trade should ever bother you. If it does then you should be trading a smaller percent of your account, (no matter how much of a sure thing you perceive the trade to be).

Kind Regards
Jason

Basically, it is better to lose account in 100 trades then in one, right?

Alter,
If I were to blow an account, I would prefer to do it over 100 trades than just 1, because I would have 100 trades to analyse and learn from as I went.

Mind you I probably would have given up and taken up train spotting by then.

Kind Regards
Jason

Trader_Dante

Frustrated ...

Hello mate,

OK, yet another person losing money by an "opinion" of mine. I think I have said this before but I always have opinions and for the most part I don't always follow them - the key sentence to watch for if you want to follow me is "I'm in from..." or "I've got an order in at..." etc. Otherwise it's just a viewpoint. Personally, I don't think anyone should follow me - but if you do, at least make sure I am in! I will be the first to broadcast it when I am, believe me.

To answer some of the your comments.

Firstly you say "both pins triggered". There has only been 1 pin. (see chart). Secondly I must have said several times over that the key level is 121.55. The only pin that appeared (which is circled in the chart below) came just ABOVE this level. Therefore you are selling into potential support. Never a good idea.

I know it's hard for some people to realise this but often I have an absolutely firm conviction on where the market is going but I don't trade it unless I see what I consider to be the perfect setup. Pelzar mentioned a 2hr pin bar. I don't trade the 2hr "merged pin". It's not one of my strict setups. So although, I had been waiting weeks for this AND I really did feel it was going to do its cheeks, I would rather miss what I have been waiting for then take what I consider to be an imperfect setup.

Someone also showed a 4hr pin. It was a beauty. But I dont trade the 4hr TF either as I have repeated many times.

I really did feel it was going to be the easiest money to be made but it didn't meet my criteria. I have to have rules and stick to them otherwise I am a trader that trades on gut feel and I am then susceptible to emotions (i.e. is my gut feel that I should exit a trade caused by skill or fear etc?)

From time to time I do trade this way. And usually I end up making some mistake and it costs me.

So, I really do apologise if I have misled anyone. Just because I am a teacher on here and I have ten stars next to my name, doesn't really mean jack sh*t.

Even the best traders get it wrong and while I am consistently profitable I wouldn't put myself in the category of "the best traders out there". Not yet anyway ;)

Seriously: You have to take responsibility for your own actions.

I think I already mentioned this story on here before but a while back when I was at my prop firm I went long the Bund. The position was nicely in profit and then I found out that the biggest trader at the firm - someone I deeply respect and that has mentored many extremely skilled traders - had a bearish bias and was short the market. So, I looked for an excuse to come out.

And once I was out, I found a reason to get short and soon did so.

The market then proceeded to go parabolic as I had originally anticipated.

The benefit of a thread like this and MMT is that you can learn more about the market or others can help you spot things that you have not seen before but the dangers are thay you can be led to do things that you wouldn't normally do if you are prone to weaknesses (and we are, after all, only human).

The other day, I saw a 1hr pin on USD/CAD to go long. It was a great looking pin but I had no level on my chart where the pin appeared so for me it was NOT a setup.

But I was on MSN and spoke to 2 people about the pin that post regularly on here and that I trust know their stuff. (no names mentioned though).

They both told me that they had a level at the bottom of that pin. A big level. Yet I didn't.

So then I started doubting myself and wondering whether I had overlooked something. So I basically looked over my chart and although I really could not see anything clear where their levels were, I drew one there anyway because my eye created one.

Was this because I wanted to look for a reason to take that pin? Was it because I was unsure why two people could see something I couldn't? Who knows. But I "found" a level and I took the trade.

Suffice to say I was stopped out very quickly.

That doesn't mean the people that told me that are full of sh*t. It means that TA is a subjective art - opinions are subjective and above all, a trader should rely on themselves and take responsibility for everything they do.

Attachments

• Bund.jpg
    Bund.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.