POLL - How do you determine the trend?

What are you using to determine the trend?

• Single MA

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Dual MA crossover

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Trendline

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • N-day breakotu

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
The markets are full of trends, on every time frame, up, down and even sideways! It's up to you to get in on the price. Don't wait around for ever though!

billpritjr said:
Just curious how you guys are determing the trend?

Why? Why not something else?

A moving average is a moving trendline, so it really doesn't matter, other than if the "trendline" you're drawing bears little or no relation to your MAs, you're probably drawing it in the wrong place.

--Db

How to determine trend? Right! Sorry! Well, if the price is moving up on any particular time frame this is determined as uptrending. Now, that wasn't hard was it?

There are some somewhat sarcastic replies to your question billpritjr which I am sure you are not after. If you are asking about trends on different timeframes, then that is not too bad a question, as many don't like switching between charts to see the long term trends on their shorter timeframe charts.

The most obvious tool for that is a moving average, such as 60EMA for your long term trend, and a 12EMA for the short term. I personally switch my charts to 4H, draw in the long term trendlines, support resistance etc, then switch that same chart to a 1H chart, which has kept those trend lines displayed.

Sure you can see that a trend is up or down just off the peaks and troughs themselves, but I know many traders, and I suspect you may be one of them, that likes to have a quick visual reference on the one chart to determine the trend. This is especially valid if you need to make quick sharp decisions on shorter timeframe charts.

Best of luck!

oh dear, I must be a dinosaur

its higher highs and higher lows for me and vice versa

but that means I cant vote.

disenfranchised
:)