Plane-spotting in comfort

Spotted off the Starboard bow, 2000yds, like a, a, strange blob, ominous looking thing, contains 450 million litres of fresh water in a neat package, rolls occasionally, likes calfing and carving.

iceberg.jpg

Stick a transponder in it and away we go!

Under what circumstances wouldn't a plane appear on FlightRadar? There's a small twin engined propellor plane currently circling pretty low over my gaff in Greenmount, Bury, Gtr Manchester. It's been back and forth for 15 mins now and reminds me how noisey life used to be before lockdown!

Under what circumstances wouldn't a plane appear on FlightRadar? There's a small twin engined propellor plane currently circling pretty low over my gaff in Greenmount, Bury, Gtr Manchester. It's been back and forth for 15 mins now and reminds me how noisey life used to be before lockdown!

I'm not sure - most civil stuff show up, anything with a transponder. But its not purely based on size of aircraft - you will even see microlights and gliders as well as 747's and Airbuses.

The Home Office use a drone over near Dover for border patrol and right now the Southampton University mega drone G-CLLU makes a first appearance over the Solent -
1588000974968.png

Now that's a drone!

Here's a couple of interesting sights while there's not much happening in UK air space -

VALNT-35 - Airbus A330-243MRTT, F-UJCH; multi-role tanker transport aircraft belonging to the French air Force. Performing circuits over northern France just eats of Calais at 23,000ft. I had not realised French military stuff showed up on FR24. Also interesting to note that the French carry out re-fuelling over land: I've only once seen the RAF do that over the UK.

BGA113B - Beluga heading from Toulouse to Hamburg, no doubt carrying or collecting some more Airbus wings for assembly.

RRR4070 - RAF Airbus A400M ZM417 from Brize Norton, SE of Paris, heading SE. Off to the Riviera chaps!?

AIB09CE - Airbus A330 F-WWCE out of Toulouse. Course looks like spaghetti. This a very new aircraft, so probably under test from the factory.

Back in the UK, two FA-20's are now airobone from Bournemout ad heading west into Devon, no doubt on a military training exercise. Expect one to break N towards Exmoor and the Bristol Channel, the other to go further W towards Cornwall, possibly then trying to "hunt" each other. The FA-20's are I believe the only UK civil aircraft actually licenced to carry missiles.

Onwards and upwards.

Given the (lack of) air traffic and current restrictions, the plane spotters must be suffering.
Spare a thought though for the airline staff..... and associated industries....complete carnage job wise.
I know some seasoned commercial pilots at the moment shite-ing themselves over the prospect of never taking to the skies again and it’s not as if they can find another job easily in any other industry either...particularly if you’re over 50.
A number of them are second career entry.... after all that training, commitment (and money if self- funded) its a pretty sad state of affairs....

Last edited:
Given the (lack of) air traffic and current restrictions, the plane spotters must be suffering.
Spare a thought though for the airline staff..... and associated industries....complete carnage job wise.
I know some seasoned commercial pilots at the moment shite-ing themselves over the prospect of never taking to the skies again and it’s not as if they can find another job easily in any other industry either...particularly if you’re over 50.
A number of them are second career entry.... after all that training, commitment (and money if self- funded) its a pretty sad state of affairs....

The death of globalism perhaps.

New Zealand has already indicated that travel will be restricted for a considerable time. Certainly longer than airlines can survive.

Here's a couple of interesting sights while there's not much happening in UK air space -

VALNT-35 - Airbus A330-243MRTT, F-UJCH; multi-role tanker transport aircraft belonging to the French air Force. Performing circuits over northern France just eats of Calais at 23,000ft. I had not realised French military stuff showed up on FR24. Also interesting to note that the French carry out re-fuelling over land: I've only once seen the RAF do that over the UK.

BGA113B - Beluga heading from Toulouse to Hamburg, no doubt carrying or collecting some more Airbus wings for assembly.

RRR4070 - RAF Airbus A400M ZM417 from Brize Norton, SE of Paris, heading SE. Off to the Riviera chaps!?

AIB09CE - Airbus A330 F-WWCE out of Toulouse. Course looks like spaghetti. This a very new aircraft, so probably under test from the factory.

Back in the UK, two FA-20's are now airobone from Bournemout ad heading west into Devon, no doubt on a military training exercise. Expect one to break N towards Exmoor and the Bristol Channel, the other to go further W towards Cornwall, possibly then trying to "hunt" each other. The FA-20's are I believe the only UK civil aircraft actually licenced to carry missiles.

Onwards and upwards.

I think it was the FA-20s that I used to watch take off from Bournemouth airport as a kid. This thread makes me want to go to RIAT again

Beluga is coming!

BGS241A, currently heading S over my house at 27,000ft, F-GSTA, heading home to Toulouse from Chester. I actually saw this one from the patio...

(yes, I'm bored....)

This is a little unusual -

C-FARA - Just N of Oxford, out of RAF Brize Norton - a Short SC-7 Skyvan 100. About as pretty as its name suggests: one of the few aircraft you can drive a Ford Transit into. Mostly used for skydiving. Operated by Summit Air, who are based in Yellowknife, Canada: imagine the ride from Yellowknife to the UK in this box.

1589444962371.png

Attachments

• 1589444959141.png
    1589444959141.png
    16.7 MB · Views: 156
Most unusual spot this afternoon - a floatplane! And from Exeter!

GLAUD - Just N of Swansea, heading N, Cessna 208 Caravan G-LAUD, operated by Loch Lomond Seaplanes. He's a long way from hame.

1589470883469.png

This is a little unusual -

C-FARA - Just N of Oxford, out of RAF Brize Norton - a Short SC-7 Skyvan 100. About as pretty as its name suggests: one of the few aircraft you can drive a Ford Transit into. Mostly used for skydiving. Operated by Summit Air, who are based in Yellowknife, Canada: imagine the ride from Yellowknife to the UK in this box.

View attachment 279896
I used to parachute occasionally out of those.... great little aircraft and could land and takeoff on a sixpence.
This one likely being used for trainee military parachutists. BZN has the Defence parachute school and Weston on the Green is the DZ nearby.

Well here's an oddity which I can't as yet explain -

GCHYN - About 10 miles NE of Exeter, CCF Harvard Mk.IV. This is a US piston-engined trainer, 'cept this one has vintage Luftwaffe markings!?!?!?!?

1589891236850.png

It must be vintage aircraft flying day -

GSHWN - North American P-51D Mustang, G-SHWN, just NW of Cambridge. Gorgeous AEAF markings for D-Day.

1589891416656.png

And here's another little beauty, not far from home -

N68427 - Boeing-Stearman Model 75. This design dates from 1934 and many thousands were built into the 1940's. How many US airmen learned to fly in these? Max. speed 124mph, which must be pretty scarey.

1589896212180.png

Lovely morning over Dartmoor.
Here's a very pretty little French thing -
GAWWO - G-AWWO, a Jodel DR1050 Ambassadeur, late 50's/early 60's. He's making all of 83 knots, which is probably fast enough. Admirable vintage finish.

1590315967794.png

Long way from home?

No. An unusual choice of paint job but this is just maintained in its original livery -

GBPCL - G-BPCL, Scottish Aviation Bulldog 128, low over Essex.

1590321774356.png

This is another unusual spot, bobbing about Devon in fine weather.

GCBVP - G-CBVP (also known as ZJ708), a Bell 412-EP. This is one of the Huey family as we've all seen in countless Vietnam War newsreels and films. Its seems to belong to the Defence Helicopter School and is also an aircraft of 60 Squadron under the military reg.) but to be honest, I can't exactly pin down whether its decommissioned.

1590500389890.png

I had no idea we had any Huey's in UK service. Well there you go, life is like a box of chocolates.

This is a first for this thread - this spot is actually currently parked on the ground, at Bournemouth, but its such an unusual finish -

its a Maleth-Aero A340 in Protect Our NHS livery - 9H-NHS

1590509177678.png

Some charming and interesting types are airborne this fine afternoon now that lockdown rules have been eased.

GOTAL - ARV Super2, G-OTAL, looping around over north Dorset. This is a charming private venture aircraft built on the Isle of Wight originally by Richard Noble, the land speed record holder, but also sold for self-assembly in a kit form.

1590845419650.png

This is more special than it looks. Light aircraft with no call-sign on FR24, but it is a Luscombe 8F Silvaire, G-LUSK,

1590855737200.png

Its originally a US 1937 design but they were produced right up until 1961. Very smart finish on this aircraft and notice the G-LUSK reg. on a Luscombe model.

They're all pretty vintage obviously. James May used to have one of these maybe still does - I wonder if its the man himself up for a spin?