Pilot Light Turned Off

Nowler

Experienced member
Hey folks!

I have a somewhat old pilot light/boiler thingy which I decided to turn off yesterdayday to see if we can curb the energy bills.
My thinking was that I could just turn it on when I wanted to heat the water for the shower, and then turn it off again... saving money.

Problem now is after turning the light on and flicking on the switch upstairs beside the boiler, I still dont have any hot water...
It was on for about 3 hours

Any Ideas?
Pilot light is still on BTW

hey N

my suggestion is what my wife says to me every single time i try this stuff ..........

"get someone in who knows what they are doing"

with the pilot on it sounds manageable .......but ive no idea what is stopping it firing up .....

N

Hey folks!

I have a somewhat old pilot light/boiler thingy which I decided to turn off yesterdayday to see if we can curb the energy bills.
My thinking was that I could just turn it on when I wanted to heat the water for the shower, and then turn it off again... saving money.

Problem now is after turning the light on and flicking on the switch upstairs beside the boiler, I still dont have any hot water...
It was on for about 3 hours

Any Ideas?
Pilot light is still on BTW

Do you have a time controller on your thermostat? The reason I ask is that, if you do, and having turned off the boiler for a while, the water may require heating up. On our thermostat there is a time switch for heating water and, if it's turned off, or the timer hasn't activated the heater for a while, we have no hot water. Not sure if that makes sense but feel free to ask if not.

Thanks lads, but crisis averted!
I just fiddled around with the unit for a sec and it kicked into gear :)
I pressed the ignition switch and the pilot light dimmed a lot... then I pressed the gas button again and it took off!

It's a crappy thing anyway, and should really be upgraded to something resembling the modern world.
Though... if I was the landlord, I would be getting everyone single day/month and year out of it too :)

When have no thermostat by the looks of things... it's just a matter of turning it off/on, or putting the timer on.
The timer has 4 "nibs" on the dial... the first flicks it on, the second off, the third on, and the fourth off

Far from modern :)

Last edited:
...my suggestion is what my wife says to me every single time i try this stuff ..........

"get someone in who knows what they are doing"...

Hey N,

Next time your wife gives you that speil, say to her:

" When you get to the end all the light you know, and take your first steps into the darkness of the unknown, you must believe that one of two things will happen.

1) There will be something solid for you to stand on.
Or
2) You will learn how to fly!"

:)

My boiler packed up some time ago and I got a quote for nearly £3k. In the meantime I've rolled up a spreadbet account with about £6k in it now. Common sense says take some out and buy the boiler with the profits.

Thing is I need dental impants too and that's another £6k.

Its is a shame to draw-down the trading account when I've had a good run.