Who Turned the Risk Off

traderchild

15 1
Home sales had a noticeable miss yesterday, and home builder stocks were down across the board. ETF $XHB is sitting at just under $30.70, although it did fare better than $ITB. The lesser of the two (IMO) fell by 1.2%.

The fact that the 5.08 million current annual sales-rate is still 15% higher than last year’s 4.41 million mark is a small consolation. Distressed sales also accounted for only 15% of home sales in June, down from May’s 18% – the lowest rate for such sales since 2008.

It’s often important to look at statistics within statistics to get a clearer macro-picture….and the downtrend in distressed home sales is a definite positive.

Mortgage rate spikes are what’s adding some pressures right now. But other than that, there really shouldn’t be head-wind catalysts to induce excessive selling. The Fed’s current tone suggests no imminent end to this era of free-flowing credit markets, and bullish technical pictures in the housing sector haven’t changed.

Market Tonality

I cannot stress the fact that today’s current environment embodies the “risk-on”, “risk-off” trade. That fact can essentially map-out trading strategies and give uncanny accuracy into future price-action.

Home builders fluctuate to this tune almost to a tee.

With the Fed’s credit-friendly tone, I see the housing sector as ripe for further upswings in price. The “risk-off” chord will drive investors away from bond-funds/Treasuries and away from the dollar.

Today wasn’t a huge party for equities, and earnings season will probably continue to be a mixed bag, but stocks remain the place to be. With that in mind, I’m predicting a near-term end to the somewhat sideways movement in housing.

If you enjoyed my take on the markets, check out and subscribe to my page:
Traderchild | Market Commentary and Actionable Analysis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock