Partitioning a hard-drive into a C,D, & E drive

I suggest you use the Partition Assistant to finish the operations—delete partition, format partition and so on. And I am very glad to introduce a detail article about these operations to you-- Guidelines on how to partition a hard drive by Creating, Deleting, Formatting and Resizing Partition. Not only you can solve your problem, and also you can get such helpful and useful information from the article.
Have a try; this software has free edition, experience its superiority in advance, just as I used to do. Ha-ha, good luck!

Hi

Usually when you buy a PC, everything is installed/saved on one big hard-drive/C drive partition, which is not good for optimal speed/performance.

to boost performance on a PC, it is recommended that you partition/seperate the hard-drive into segments.
eg. One segment for the operating system, one segment for all other software, and one segment for work files, music downloads etc.

If you use XP home, which when up to date currently uses around 7-8gb max, and an 78gb hard-drive, what is the best way to divide up you hard-drive?

3 equal partitions of 26gb?

or would it be better performance wise to have say 3 times 15gb partitions, and leave a 30gb segment of the hard-drive free for the future?

In particular, is it beneficial to performance to give the operating system a no bigger partition than necessary - i.e. 15gb for the OS would lead to better performance than 26gb for the OS?

Thanks.

Cant see why you would save 30 unpartitioned gb? Personally I would go for the 26x3 since its always good to leave some space on the OS partition. It's also good to have some spare gbs if you need to install some programs required on the OS disk. Sorry if I've missed out some info here, haven't read all posts in this thread.

As a future upgrade i would strongly recommend an SSD disk, they are really fast and reliable since they doesnt contain any physical "disks". They've got very fast write/read spead and they are also rather quiet :)

BR
Markus

for the speadfreaks out there RAID and RAM disks overcome the I/O bottleneck, and never transfer files wireless, that'd be stupid, major bottleneck compared to wired. I'd go one further and say never go wireless in general, who knows what dodgy fella's sat outside your house with his laptop. If you get Partitionmagic make sure you know what you're doing it suffers no fools, never make the windows disk too smallm store the pagefiles elsewhere, and never fill too near capacity esp windows drive